Pirate 4x4 banner

Genright or Blue Torch YJ strech fuel tanks

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Kickin'Chicken 
#1 ·
Needing more room to move my rear axle back a couple inches and would like to keep my back seat and room for gear. Looking for pros and cons of both and if they are worth the high prices they charge for them... The jeep is a 1995 wrangler with dana 60 rear spring over setup only looking to move axle back 3 or 4 inches...Thanks Aaron

#4 ·
Don't have experience with either, my stretch was too far even though I desperately wanted to use the genright tank despite the cost. From the things I have heard about their tanks and the products I have bought from them it all seems top notch. If I was only going to move the axle back a few inches I would definately have tried something like in the linked thread of modding the stock tank. Throw on a modified tank skid and you have a good alternative as long as you're careful when you build it.

If you have the money lying around I would get the genright just based on customers testimonies.

#6 ·
Yeah they are very expensive I dont understand why someone else hasnt come up with one for alot cheaper. I saw the thread about "remolding" the factory tank seems like it could lead to failure down the road and I would hate for that to happen out in the middle of nowhere..Aaron

#9 ·
Had the same issue as you - I needed to keep the back seat and didn't want to put a tank inside. I went with the Genright Comp tank and would highly recommend it. It just plain works. My YJ is stretched about 6" in the rear and the D60 tucks up nicely by the tank.

Best pic I have right now is on the trailer heading out to go wheeling to give you a feel of the stretch. Jeep is at 106" and sitting on 40's.

#11 ·
Had the same issue as you - I needed to keep the back seat and didn't want to put a tank inside. I went with the Genright Comp tank and would highly recommend it. It just plain works. My YJ is stretched about 6" in the rear and the D60 tucks up nicely by the tank.

Best pic I have right now is on the trailer heading out to go wheeling to give you a feel of the stretch. Jeep is at 106" and sitting on 40's.

Nice jeep. What brand tube fenders are those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Nice looking jeep 87YJ did you use Genrite's strech fenders or something else? Also did you get your tank direct from GenRight or were you able to get it cheaper through a Pirate vendor? Thanks Aaron

#12 ·
Here's my 2 cents. First, if you want the 15 gallon Genright, make sure they still make them. A couple years ago they stopped making the 15 gallon TJ one and you had to go to the 10 gallon Alien or the larger 19 or 22 gallon tank. I have the BTF tank for that reason. It is nicely made, but it does not have the factory rollover valves like the Genright. You can buy the Mopar vents, drill some holes to make the same thing.

The only other caution I have on the BTF tank is to make sure they have them in stock. When I got mine they didn't have them in stock and claimed it would take a couple weeks to build a run of them. It ended up being more like 6-7 weeks and that was with 4WParts pushing them ( I actually got a better price ordering through them).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.