Pirate 4x4 banner

Death wobble

719 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Georgia boy '88 
#1 ·
So a few weeks ago wheeling I blew a front tire bead. One side of the tire actually came off the rim. Because my spare was an odd size I put the spare on the back and the good (so I thought)rear tire on the front. I made it out to the pavement to find that I had a horrible death wobble when I reached 40 mph. I had a tire shop reset the bead and placed the fixed tire on the back. Thinking that I messed something up during my wheeling trip I started trying to align the front end. I started with the tire shop and they balanced all the tires and they took a lot of weight. I was hoping that would fix it but it didn’t Many other attempts, many changes to the tire rod, investigating the unit bearings, drivelines, checking all the bolts on the track bar and control arms, all nuts that might be the problem. And no luck, everything I tried still resulted in a Death wobble at 40 mph.
After all that I decided to rotate the passenger side back to the original configuration. Test drive……… and the death wobble went away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.