Pirate 4x4 banner

dom cage sleeve ????

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Beat95YJ 
#1 ·
I put a small bend in my cage on the a to c hoop, that I do not like. I had to cut 3 inches out of the tube to get rid of the bend. Now I need to sleeve the inside of the tube and add a 3 inch filler tube. The tube is 1.75 x .120 dom The sleeve will be 1.5 dom. I do have x2 pieces of 1.5 x .25 dom, but they are only 8.5" long.

My question's are: how for past the splice, should I run the sleeve? How many rosset welds? What size hole to drill for the rossets?

#3 ·
I would use the same general rule as thread depth that's 1 1/2 times the diameter. So you will use 1 1/2 in tube inside the original tube I would use 9in of tube to fix it.

#6 ·
I am also thinking I might do a b to b hoop, instead of having the splice over the top of my head. In most of the pictures that I look at, it seems like the b to b hoop is angled back a little. Is this normal or is it just the camera angles?

here's my a to c hoop before I put the bend in it that I cut out.

This would be similar to the b to b hoop I would make, with my a to c. (if that makes sense)

#8 ·
I am debating on sleeving it back straight or doing the a to b b to c. I have been look through pics today trying to decide, on safety and looks.

#9 ·
I went ahead and welded it back striaght. The filler piece is only 2" long so the sleeve (1.50 x .25 dom) piece goes 3.25" past on each side.

#10 ·
I am guessing I did an ok job? because no one posted that I am going to die in a roll over! I am also thinking of running a 45* brace from the b pillar up to the splice, for support. I should be able to work on it this week and get the cage started. This is my first cage build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.