Pirate 4x4 banner

Deciding on rims (beadlocks) for the 8

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Cobound 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's what I have - '84 CJ8 (currently 37x13.5.15 Pitbulls w/ beadlocks):

Ok, just got it repainted as well as some fenders and quarters done, got a new set of 37x12.50x17 Goodyear MTRs for it...needs some new wheels to go along w/ the meats and color. Bottom line is, I need to sh!t or get off the pot...I have NO idea why this is killing me like it is...but I like to see stuff in person before I spend a grand or two, ya know. Anyway, I keep bouncing back and forth on these -

Hutchinson - 17x8.5 4.63" bs, Argent

Raceline - 17x9.5 4" bs, Black w/ silver ring and no center cap

Walker Evans - 17x8.5 4.5" bs, non polished w/ silver ring

I can get free shipping and a discount on the Walkers, makes them the cheapest rim available to me (non polished, otherwise polished are same price as Hutchinsons).

The Hutchinsons are at the very top of my budget, and I'm liking them more and more every time I see them. Just not sure I want to spend at the top of my budget. And I don't know anyone running them, I'm guessing quality is top notch tho.

The Racelines would have been a done deal if the silver ones of the same flavor as above had not been backordered...this is what got me back to thinking black or argent would look nice on my rig. Raceline has a great offer going on now too...gotta order today tho!

I HATE cleaning rims...so I think the black or argent should be a good choice.

Ok, ok, ok...specials end today, last day of May, so I have to order by this afternoon if I'm going to save some real cash.

Well, this is Jeep NON hardcore...figured it'd be the best place to hear some thoughts, soooo.....

B

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, Diamond Cut is not available...or I'd not be asking.

They are going to be a month out, don't think I can wait that long. These Pitbulls suck on my road rides...and I have a 2,500 mile run coming up where we're rollin over the highway; kind of an adventure run - NO TRAILERS!

Raceline - Monster Black I'm leaning towards. ONly thing that strikes me about the Walkers is the price. Otherwise, the polished is nice but the same cost as Hutchingsons.

B

#4 ·
I say go with the Walkers, I think they would look the best on your rig with your body style and your paint color. I've never seen a rig with a set of Walkers and thought "dude should have gone with a different wheel", they always look good.

#6 · (Edited)
I'd go with the Hutchinson Rock Monsters over the others in that bunch. I love the styling, they are DOT approved, and are DOUBLE bead locks. Its hard to compare prices when the other 2 options are only single locks and are not DOT approved. You also don't want a polished wheel if you hate cleaning them all the time........Powder coated or clear coated wheels are waaaay easier to keep clean, and hold up better in the long run.

My .02 cents

#7 ·
All good points. While I don't foresee the double bead need, nice to have. I do also like the DOT approved, even tho I've never been hassled over the past several years of running other beadlocks...now would not be the time to drop a couple grand and get nailed.

I TOTALLY DON'T want a polished wheel. They look great new, blow after they've been used. Definitely DON'T like cleaning them either!

If I can get them to ship the Hutchinsons like the Walkers (FREE), I'm leaning at the ARGENT wheel.

Thanx for the added input guys,

B

#10 ·
Hutchinsons, though I do think your rig would look better with a black wheel.

#12 ·
Should see these in 7-10 days - ARGENT:

:rock:

Fuggit, my build budget went to sh!t months ago...and since I didn't have anything on my credit card yet (paid cash for the build, had to) I figured I'd go Hutchinson.

Beads on both inner and outer, DOT approved, got a pretty damn good deal on them so I figured I'd give it a go. Had to pull the trigger sooner or later or I'd never get them to my door in time for the big trip.

Stoked, finally did it!

That is all,

B

#21 · (Edited)
Well, I ordered the Hutchinsons on May 31...unfortunately they just contacted me Yesterday and told me they won't ship til June 16th. PISSED, I can't fucking win :mad3:

I have a trip planned for the 23rd. If they are even here by then I'll be hard pressed to imagine that I'll have the time to get them mounted to use...gawd damn hate companies that tell you something is in stock and will ship the next day and turn around and feed ya info days later to the contrary!

I'm still stoked to get them, just hate the delay. Raceline guys were all stand up...just that damn C&C machine... :(

Anyway,

B

#22 ·
Mounted!

Well, finally got them, mounted, on the Jeep. They were a straight up bitch to put together by myself...two people would have been better. But I made due. I still have one w/ a major leak (the fifth rim), one w/ a slight piss...otherwise I can at least drive them.

The O-Ring was on the outter piece, and I thought it was going to be on the inner. That is most likely the reason I have the major leak on one...but I'll explain that later.

Here's the look:

They tuck up under the fenders REAL nice, still get full turn w/out rubbing, and I LOVE the look.

I put about 13.5 oz of airsoft BBs in each tire. I took two 5000 count containers of .25 gram BBs and split them between five tires. I figure that is about 13-13.5 oz each.

Unbelievable how quite those GY MTRs are! No vibes, no noice...smooth ride. Real impressed.

So far so good. But again, bitch of a rim to install. I'm sore as all hell from the workout. Haven't been run through anything like that since bootcamp - LOL!!!

I guess the one w/ the major leak is my spare...meaning I'm not going to get to repairing it today :flipoff2:

Til later (trail report time),

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.