Pirate 4x4 banner

Greetings and Salutations from Northern Illinois

455 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  S_THorsen 
#1 ·
Finally got down on the list to work on the CJ8 Scrambler.

It's been sitting in the shed and not used for the last 3 years. Dad had the engine replaced and the one put in hada bad back seal. It's sat in the the shed since.

Had the mechanic replace the rear real. I replaced the bushings on the sterring stabilizer. Sucker had quite a death wobble. It still has too much free play.

It looks like the steerng gearbox is loos to the frame. Tried tighting one of the bolts and it broke. The pisser is the frame is boxed in with nuts welded on the inside of the frame. This is over the spring and right behind the spring shackle. Drilling and tapping isn't really an option.

My guess is cut a hole in the frame. torch the nut and broken bolt. Weld in a new nut and patch the frame. Bend the patch to fit and take the flat iron down to the bottom two bolts of the steering gearbox.

Am I on the right path?

My plan is to make this a basic street legal for summer fun. Drive in the pasture or on the road. Keep it out of the salt. No top is planned. Not planning on doors either. I''ll give it a basic paint job. THere are two small rust holes in the floor to repair. Take care of them and put extend on the floor and box bed. The apply a roll on bed liner to the box.

No title though. Illinois has a thing about titles. I have a title for a destroyed CJ5. Debating going with this title or perhaps apply for a custom title.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.