Pirate 4x4 banner

Single ended full hydro on the street? Bad or not so bad?

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  mike4089 
#1 ·
I'm about to do single ended full hydro on my tj. It terrible on road anyway and I have put maybe 60 miles on it on the road in the last two years but i would like to still be able to street it if I wanted to or needed to. So the question is how bad is full hydro on the street.:confused:

#4 ·
The problem with single ended is that it will steer one direction lightning quick and the other direction much slower. This could be disasterous in a road driving situation. Why single ended anyway? If it's cost, you could use two singles if you can make the packaging work.
Travis..

#6 ·
I just didn't want to do double on this axle. 1 ton full widths are next and I didn't want to spend any money on stuff I'm gonna have to replace later anyway. I already have a 2.5"x 8" Stroke for single ended on this axle and I planned on buyin the double next winter when I put the 1 tons in.

#9 ·
i've seen people claim that it's illegal many times but never have i seen any proof. adn legality is in teh eyes of the guy with the ticket book i suppose to. do youi really think they know the difference. most cops are slueless tell them it's a steering stabilzer and be on your way. if you've only put 60 miles on your jeep on the street in 2 years then who cares if you like that steering use it. but why not wait til you do the full widths and do the hydro at the same time. but a double ended ram would be better on the street becaue it's load reactive unlike the single ended ram

#10 ·
I have a single ended ram on a 1-ton jeep I rarely drive on the street (probably like you, about 60 miles/year). It's not awful, it's manageble but I have not driven it on the highway and probably don't ever plan to. But I have cruised at 60 on the back roads. It holds straight, but very sensitive to adjustments (but I would imagine even double-ended rams are sensitive too?).

#11 ·
Yeah I'm not worried about a cop anyway. They wouldn't know and if it was a cop that did know I doubt they would have anything to say about it. Like I said I want to do the single cause I have what I need to do it. I may do the double ended right now anyway I guess. I kinda wanna drive it on the street again so I thought single ended may be better for that but I might as well just get the double now.

#15 ·
I ran full hydro with a single ended tractor supply ram on my blazer. My blazer was insured and licensed. It's street driving duties were nice weather to the auto parts store and sometimes work.

The difference in turns to lock each way is only approx 1 revolution. It is not "lightning" fast in one direction vs the other. If you weren't paying attention to it, you would probably never notice.

The biggest problem I noticed with it is that it is hard to keep going straight with a non centering orbital. Seems like you are constantly correcting the wheel just a tiny bit each way, but I would assume it is the same situation on any full hydro setup.

I actually had way more dependable steering and road manners with full hydro than I ever did with regular crossover steering and a steering box. You can run any caster you want with worn out parts and it will not death wobble.

#18 ·
The difference in turns to lock each way is only approx 1 revolution. It is not "lightning" fast in one direction vs the other. If you weren't paying attention to it, you would probably never notice.
Ok, not lightning fast, but one way is definitely faster than the other and takes less turn of the wheel for a given steering angle. I've only driven a couple of beat rock buggies on dirt roads, but they didn't feel overly safe or confidence inspiring with a single ended ram.
Travis..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.