Pirate 4x4 banner

motor CLANK

758 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  scubajeepman 
#1 ·
hello all,
I have a 1998 tj 2.5l with 120k on it. It has a a quiet tick like most jeeps, I did a scheduled oil change and around 200 miles later the tick turned to a LOUD CLANK that is constant even at oper temp. The jeep runs great, not ruff at idle no loss of power ( other than being a 2.5l with 33's but the 4.88 gears help). I was thinking a lifter got stuck, did an oil change again (heaver weight oil witht he lucas treatment), still the same. I pulled a cylinder wire while running to see if I could isolate which cylinder it was coming from, and the noise stayed the same. I pulled the valve cover thinking a rocker arm/ rod and have been the issue . I started the motor with valve cover off put a finger on each spring to see if I could feel a slap/knock and nothing they all felt the same, all Rocker/rods were ok and all oiled well...............
I put a pipe on the header and the valve cover to listen and it sounds like the clank is deeper in the motor than i the head.....
Anyone have any more checks I should do.
also what about a cracked flywheel??
thanks

#3 ·
How is the timing chain?
When mine gave up the ghost, I noticed that there is a keeper that is cast into the inside of the cover. The chain had gotten so loose that it ground off that keeper. I later found the missing section in the oil pan upon teardown.
That many miles, you might have a loose timing chain also. (BTW, mine ran fine all the way up until it was too late)

#5 ·
well I brought it into a shop, and I got "I way to busy with little odds and end jobs to deal with your truck"
What I did get out of the guy was he doesn't know what it is,,....... so much for a motor shop... and he just wanted to rebuild it......... I have good oil psi, never drops, pull a wire while running and the noise stays constant. pulled all the spark plugs and turned the motor still there....... I am thinking of pulling the oilpan and see if its a bearing,,, but if it was shouldn't I have low or no oil psi at idle??????????
thanks
D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.