Pirate 4x4 banner

02 xj all wheel drive rear end questions?

528 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GFY Racing 
#1 ·
Alright last year in october I had a new pinion bearing installed due to extreme whining when driving. Now i have the same sound coming from the rear end and when the steering wheel is locked left or right a horrible grinding noise is coming from the rear and the tires are staying locked. Is there a clutch inside the rear axle housing to allow it to act like a limited slip even though its an all wheel drive jeep. It has the QUADRATRAC system in it with a DANA 44 semi float and 3.73 gears for the rear and a dana 30 upfront. I don't 4 wheel this one, fact its never been offroad and only has 80k miles on it. the guy I took it to said to replace everything not including the ring gear and axle shafts it would cost between $600 and $700, and that would include new hub bearings, axle bearings, seals, fluid, and the sorts. I have built and torn down rear ends before but not with a "clutch" in them. Is this something an average DIY'er could do. I have impact, dial calipers and most tools to do something like this but its that "clutch" thing thats got me thinking.

Anyone have an opinion or suggestion or maybe even a link to an exploded view of those rear ends? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don

#2 ·
Upgrade to an 03 XJ:flipoff2:

On a serious note, the "clutch" is a limited slip. Get a service manual or check out the interweb, Google is your friend. A DIY'er CAN do it, but if you've never messed with setting up gears, it's probably best left to somebody who has experience with this type of work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.