Pirate 4x4 banner

360 into a tj?

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  atblis 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if i should get this 84 waggy tomorrow because i'm not certain that the motor will bolt up on my 98 tj. I've heard yes and i have heard no. So could someone please inform me.

#4 ·
I understand free but no offense if I gave you a free pile of shit it'd still be a pile of shit. What I am really getting as is is the current motor in your TJ dead? If not then all the amount of time, money, effort and frustration it would take to get that 360 into your TJ will make the free part of the swap the only easy part.

The 4.0 in your TJ right now probably puts out more HP and torque than that old 360 which isnt FI, most likely need lots of work, let alone getting your motor mounts, tranny adapter, gauges, changing your fuel delivery, radiator, and heaven forbid you have any type of smog reguations...free isnt always better. IMO you'd be money way ahead by putting it on something that will make your Jeep perform better elsewhere.

#7 ·
The flywheels will bolt-fit, too, but the balance is different between the AMC 360 (counterweighted) and AMC straight six (neutral). A balance shop can correct the six flywheel to work on the V8.

The stock 2brl 360 will have more bottom end torque, but the 4.0l has more HP.

The 360 will probably run hot due to the small TJ radiator.

#9 ·
im doing this similar swap.

i got a new timing chain onto my jeep and ended up shoting a hole in my block.
fixed one problem to find another.

my 360 is out of a 1999 dodge 1/2 ton.

ive heard as well that the 360 and 4.0 share bell housings, but is it still considered an AMC 360 even in '99?... true?

as for the balance of the motor, i just use a 360 (from the '99) flywheel in my 42re? (2004 rubicon tranny)

#11 ·
since its not an AMC 360, is it not the same as the 4.0 bellhousing or is it still the same? im just curious as to if my 2004, 42re (rubicon), will bolt to a 1999, dodge 360. it would make life much easier and cheaper because i dont wanna pay the $ for an adapter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.