Pirate 4x4 banner

Fixin a TJ for someone - need help

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  peligroso 
#1 ·
I've got a 2000 TJ sitting in my driveway with a Rubicon Express lift on it. All the link bushings and joints are wasted on it. The panhard heims are wasted and the sector shaft moves up/down out of the steering box. :eek: Lets just say this thing is *interesting* to drive! :laughing:

So in searching around I see RE is no longer. I found the replacement daystar bushings at Poly Perf.

I also see PP has this kit for the front axle uppers

The owner wants me to put a new steering box on it. Who's should I go with? The panhard is easy enough. Where I'm hung up, is what to do about replacing the Rubicon Express flex joints? What should I replace them with? I figured I'd have to cut them off and weld a new joint in place. Maybe a Johnny joint? or ??? What have others done? This Jeep is not a Crawler, it's just this guy's hunting jeep so there is no need for me to go crazy with it.

#2 ·
Id just replace them with the Daystar bushings. If its just a everynow and then hunting jeep why waste the time cutting and replacing the joints with JJs when you can do it with the Daystars which should most likely take care of his needs for a long time.

Steering box...again see above Id just replace it with an OEM style and be done with it. It doesnt sound like to me that the owner just wants it function for basic needs.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok am I stupid or did I miss something...? I thought the day-star kit only took care of half the joints on the entire suspension? Not a lot of vehicle specific info in the description of that. So if I buy two kits, I've got enough for all the RE links? Sorry for the dumb question... I havn't even had time to look at this thing and now I've gotta get it done yesterday. :laughing:

#6 ·
Rubicon Express is back open. They can't ship any parts for approximately 30-60 days but their phone lines are working.

You can replace the rubber bushings on the control arms with the ones that Poly performance has from Daystar.

The superflex joints can be greased and tightened. Most likely the joint has never been tightened in the past by the previous owner so there is a lot of slop. If you do need new races for the joints then Rubicon Express will probably have those in the next 30 days to sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.