Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana 35 confusion

3K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  frankensteinxj 
#1 ·
Yes this has been covered prolly wayyyy tooo many times....And yes I've googled just about every key word/sentence to try to come up with the answer on my own....
BUT I'm still confused lol.

Background info:
I'm looking to upgrade my XJ Sport 2000 with a 3" lift, 31's, w/ a rear ox locker
However....

I have a Dana 35 27 spline axle...well known to fail...I'd love to get a super 35 back there...BUT I'd like to upgrade to a 30 spline...So...what is involved w/ transitioning from 27 to 30 spline? Is there some kit/ or gear I have to purchase?

Second question...
Since I just want Super 35 30 spline Axle Shafts, not the whole kit and kaboodle(considering I'm going w/ an ox locker)...are these the same axle shafts...:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52400_1200_07.htm

...That come with the super 35 kit?:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16120_454.htm

And if not...where can I purchase...just the Evo shafts + plus the components to install them minus the locker?

Sorry to bug you guys with this question, considering you've probably answered it a thousand times in some other way or form...thanks guys

-Zach

See less See more
#3 ·
Okay I will answer this for you.

You ask "what is involved" Well the splines they are talking about are on the end of the axle shaft's that stick inside your differential so if you change the spline count on the axle you have to change the spline count of the differential. So you need an OX locker that is 30 spline instead of 27.

Why not go with the second OX Locker kit. It comes with axle bearings which seem to go bad on these axles too.

#16 ·
Well...as you can see from the modifications I want to make...I'm not looking to make a true Rock crawler, more interested in making my Jeep able and capable for when it is needed...although the 8.8 looks like a pretty sweet setup...I have no welding experience/equip, and it seems once it is all said and done, they will roughly be about the same price tag...

#18 ·
Well...as you can see from the modifications I want to make...I'm not looking to make a true Rock crawler, more interested in making my Jeep able and capable for when it is needed...although the 8.8 looks like a pretty sweet setup...I have no welding experience/equip, and it seems once it is all said and done, they will roughly be about the same price tag...
That's the point, for the same amount of money, you'll have a MUCH better rear end.

#17 ·
you may want to look for a d44 out of an older 4 banger xj from a local salvage yard. As was stated the d35 is not what you want to toss money at.
To put your money into one and be rewarded with snapped shafts when you need the grunt would suck.
The 44 is a bit tougher, and the parts are there to build with.
As for the 8.8 swap, and no welding skills, ask around your local boards, or look here on PBB, you would be shocked at the amount of people willing to help with stuff like that. IF you weren't so far away, I would do the welding, and I'm a jerk

#20 ·
I bought a 8.8 with 4.56 & Detroit locker for $800. Selling the D35 with Detroit & 4.56 for $600.

If you don't weld find someone on Pirate to weld the perches. Usually someone will help for free. Or throw them $40. Most pirate guys are lonely & just want a friend for the day :laughing:

#25 · (Edited)
Get a 29-spline 8.25, like everyone is saying. Much cheaper than any alternative you are talking about and definitely strong enough for your stated purpose. The major advantage of an XJ D44 over the later 8.25 is the locker availability, not the strength of the axle, IMHO.

The old saying "you can't polish a turd" is 100% accurate for the D35 and it has been proven time and time again. You cannot throw enough money at it to make it worthwhile.

EDIT: My last XJ Axle set purchase was the HP30 front and 29-spline 8.25 and it was $75 for the set....

#28 ·
throwing it out there, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the super 35 kit also a C clip eliminator? I don't know if that is required for the OX or not. If you drive nice and plan on staying on 31s and only use the locker when you need it the 35 will be fine. You don't HAVE to carry shafts (That's the nice thing about C clip Eliminators) but I would at minimum know where to get a set real quickly or have a set in the garage. But you have the advantage that tj guys don't have, you can go get a dirt cheap 8.25 that will bolt in and have a better axle to upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.