Pirate 4x4 banner

81 and 82 CJ7 brake booster differences?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Midwestzj 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the real differences are between the 81 and 82 brake boosters? I have a pieced together 81 cj (title says 81) then find out i have an 82 front axle. I bought the booster for the 81 before i knew parts were also an 82 and the first time i drove it i got a weird pedal feel. It is stiff when you push the pedal and no brakeing, then when you move through the pedal stroke it all the sudden gets easy to push and then you end up slamming on the brakes. So it is a firm pedal, then at a certain point it becomes real easy and then that causes you to mash the pedal. There didn't seem to be an adjustment rod on the Booster, just a metal dowel that can just be taken out so i am confused on adjusting it. Any help?

#2 ·
The boosters are the same on the later CJ's. It may have a problem with the booster itself, there's a vacuum switch inside the booster that may not be working properly. No adjustments to the rod, but it should only have a very slight bit of space between the rod and the master cylinder cup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.