Pirate 4x4 banner

yj front drive shaft replacment

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Lake_v2 
#1 ·
I recent twisted my front drive shaft into two pieces. So now I'm looking into something stronger to replace it with to prevent this to happen again. I'm running soa with 35 in tires. 4.0l 5 speed. I don't have the money to buy a tw shaft. They run $200 or more.

#3 ·
people make tube driveshafts everyday.... or like has been said, save yourself a TON of work and get a stock replacement from pick and pull or ebay or whatever... try a want to buy in the correct section here.

#5 · (Edited)
why buy a new one to retube? If you're gonna retube, use your old shaft. Yokes are still good right? I'd probably have one built at a local shop with some thick wall tubing AND get another stock one to carry with me as a trail spare. That's just me though.

EDIT: it's been a LONG time since I dealt with stock jeep axles or tcases, but doesn't the front shaft spin all the time regardless of whether the d30 is engaged or not? If so, have it built and balanced so it doesn't beat you to death (I'm assuming you drive onroad a good bit with only 35s). If it's offroad only or it doesn't spin unless in 4wd, build it yourself. It isn't hard to do with square tubing and is very strong. Just get 2 different size tubing, one with similar OD as the others ID. Notch your yokes to fit and weld them up.

#6 ·
The Dana 30 with the vacuum actuators don't spin unless you replace the two piece shaft with a one piece. After the super 30 kit, my drive shaft does spin all the time. I know Cherokees and tjs has a one piece as well. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna buy a stock one to get me by for now while I come up with prices for a custom one vs. A tw shaft.

#7 ·
find a local shop to retube your d-shaft, two shops local to me charge around 100$ to retube and balance a shaft.

fwiw, i twisted my stock front d-shaft yj with 35's. had local shop rebuild with 2" .120 wall tube, no issues since. have barber poled the new shaft on rocks and its still straight and no vibes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.