Pirate 4x4 banner

fuel cell draw issue

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  coskinner 
#1 ·
i am running the RCI 19 gallon fuel cell and am having issues with sucking air at half talk when the fuel sloshes or i lean. somethimes it does with even more than half tank. i spoke with rci and they said tank foam would not fix it and it shouldnt suck air with that much fuel. does anyone have any ides for me.................. it draws from a draw straw not a sump.

...........also my pump is mounted next to the tank. should it be mounted below for gravity reasons. sounds like a stupid question to me but i dont know.

#2 ·
Yeah sounds impossible since how would air get into the pickup that is one the bottom of the tank? That's almost 6" of fuel

I would mount it as close & low as possible to help the pump pull fuel. Also, check your plumbing for any leaks. Mine is mounted on the rear sub frame & haven't had any issues. Actually, ran it completely empty to see where I stood with the pickups. I get no indication until it is pretty much empty. Even leaning hard into turns. My stock tank would lose suction close to 1/8 tank when taking hard corners

#3 ·
Are you running an RCI 2191A or similar with the aluminum pickup tube? If so, there's a possibility that there is a crack or hole near the weld up top. Your pump being that high shouldn't be a huge issue, but it's a possibility.

I would suggest eliminating the aluminum pickup and installing a Walbro pickup system. I build them for the 2161s but haven't developed the 2191 system yet. I can do a custom system based on a few measurements. The Walbro pickups shut when they run dry, so you can literally run down to a quart or so of fuel before you run out. In the tall RCI cells I move the return to the stock pickup tube, cap the return or run a second vent, and drill for a new bulkhead fitting either in the side at the bottom, or at the top next to the other fittings depending on the customer's space requirements.

You can shoot me a call at the shop and I can help you diagnose further before you start throwing parts at it.

HTH

-Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.