Pirate 4x4 banner

Better gearing in my case

891 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  1tuffyj 
#1 ·
94 yj. 4 squirrels with many low $ upgrades n tcg inertia ring. Ax5. Stock 231(sye and 2lo kit). 8.8/30 combo 488s. Soa on 35s.

I need more oomph in my case. my clutch hates me. Been researching 231/300 n almost had my mind set on it. Mind changed recently mainly cuz my front 30 (mostly lack of hubs) has been pissing me off. I need gears before an axle so here lies my question: to anyone running any similar setup as mine...did u do a Tera 4:1 or do a doubler? I'm not asking which 1 is better. I wanna know if the Tera gave u enough oomph to make u happy or if u wished u did something different. I can do the Tera cheaper n easier than doubler n use my extra coin to improve or swap the junk up front. I've seen complaints on here bout Tera's kit which don't at all ease my mind. I'm also afraid the doublers 7ish:1 will blow my 30's pinion into pcs lol.
Convince me what to do......

#7 ·
thats another reason im on the fence. rite now, my 2.72:1 works well in mud (the little bit i do). also, i use my 2lo to putt around the green trails cuz 2hi with the 488s is pretty rough on it. i really dont think 4:1 is gonna work well in either of these situations. my squirrels will be screaming, n so will the tera planetaries which is well known to be a bad thing.

can someone mail me a check so i can do the hp44 front n regear both to 5.38s? :laughing::laughing:

#9 ·
really dont matter cuz im not changing axle gears. 488s work fine for street, and it wont change enough offroad to make it worth the $.

after driving mikes loaner at big dogs :D i now think a 4:1 will work fine. the greens n access rds r just gonna suck but take the good with the bad. least my clutch wont be smoked every time out.

and mike, since i know youll read this, thanks for the good ride on fri. im really pissed i didnt do the death valley cliimb, cuz i did pensyltucky on sat with little to no issue :D. ur day was waaaay more organized than our sat LOL.

ill be back for ice breakers next yr to run ALL of death valley, v trail, and kgb.
hopefully with my 4:1 in. :smokin:

#10 ·
Glad you had a good time there Dana. If you can't wait till icebreaker next year, there is 3 more events this year- August (summer slam), September (main jambo), and October (fall crawl)

I hope to get the cj5 out to 1 or two of them. I'll make a point to get over to V-trail if your on my ride again. And I'll encourage the climb in the valley a little more:grinpimp:

#11 ·
Unfortunately once a yr is all my wallet is gonna allow. Already told the wife I'm going next yr again and she didn't bitch at me so ill leave well enough alone. I'm thinking ice breakers tho cuz I'd rather wheel in a hoodie than sweat to death. Ill probly be at RC in Oct so ill let u know when.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.