Pirate 4x4 banner

Electrical mystery...

514 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Hotpeper 
#1 ·
Maybe someone can help me troubleshoot this. I keep blowing fuse #20 on my 01 Grand Cherokee. It controls the blinkers, blower motor, heated seats, reverse lights. I thought I had it pinned to the blower motor since when I unplug it it stops blowing the fuse. I've heard that when the motors go bad they start drawing a lot of power.

The thing is though if I leave it plugged in and keep the knob turned to 'off' it will blow the fuse. Now I'm thinking if the motor is turned off but its still blowing the fuse then it can't be the motor since it shouldn't be drawing any power right?

I hate electrical so any help would be appreciated. I would like to get this figured out so I'm not just throwing parts at it.

#2 ·
Check your grounds. Shady grounds can cause funky issues. That's where I'd start. Failing that, a short in the motor could negate the switch (IIRC) assuming the switch isn't the problem.

#4 · (Edited)
If you unplug your seats and don't blow a fuse= it's in that system.

Plugging in your seats and leaving the knob off doesn't rule out the motor.
-your switch may only be giving a ground to the motor when flipped to "on".
You may have an internal short to ground before the plug.

*start with one component in the system and work through ALL of the other components in that system. Rule out each piece.

-then move to the next system, when 100% sure about the seat heater system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.