Rear Bumper doubling as crossmember in frame? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 68900
Rear Bumper doubling as crossmember in frame?

Im wondering why some people are making their rear bumper as part of their frame instead of going with a variation of stock with bolt on bumpers. Other than esthetics, I can only think of cons to this, can someone help me out with the pro's?

The biggest con I have is that if someone rear ends you your frame just got smashed on where-as on a stock jeep, the bumper will absorb some of the blow before the impact gets to the frame.

Also, now if your welded on rear bumper is wrecked you have to go cutting apart your frame to fix it, bolt on application, just turn some bolts and replace.

Anyone? Thanks...
dolanmx305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 110248
no bolts to break and/or stretch when you hook onto something tough. Granted I build mine to bolt on to make servicing easier down the road, But I can see where some of those bolts are pulling on a tj. On my dads cj the frame broke where it was bolted.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 124275
People who wheel enjoy the departure angle and clean looks. My bumper/recovery point is my xmember.1/4" steel welded to the rails. It's not going anywhere.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 125507
I made mine bolt on, but it doubles as a gas tank mount due to rear frame rot it had when I bought it. It will be a PITA if/when I have to remove it. Just gotta make sure the tank is empty I guess...
Old 06-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Devils Trailboss

Member # 51571
Some people dont drive their Jeep on the street so it may not be a concern and by removing the thin crappy sheetmetal from the factory with something stronger it ties in the rear frame rails better.

93 W250 CTD 5spd

97 TJ 60/14 Atlas 40" Maxxis 106" WB

www.polyperformance.com
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 32145
Departure angle was the main thing I was looking for. Also, I wanted to add mounts for shackle hangers off the back of the frame for an eventual wheelbased stretch and the stock crossmember wasn't strong enough to work from.

I rarely drive mine of the street, but if I get hit hard enough to bend the new crossmember I built, I think I'd be in the same boat if I was running a bolt on bumper.

before

after

of course when I actually got around to the wheelbase stretch, plans changed a little.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote