1980 CJ7 first Jeep build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Where are you at in TX? Might have some parts for you from my '80 CJ7 build.

BTW, looking good!!

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 111240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
Where are you at in TX? Might have some parts for you from my '80 CJ7 build.

BTW, looking good!!
I am in Corpus. Just a hop skip and a jump down the road from you.
Beastus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
and a shuffle or two.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 111240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
and a shuffle or two.
Just don't shuffle too fast, there are always a shit ton of cops on 77! lol

Why don't you shoot me a pm with what you have for parts?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 178025
Jeep looks good. Always nice to see one brought back to life.
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #31 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastus_Maximus View Post
Why don't you shoot me a pm with what you have for parts?
Will do. Most will depend on what direction you are taking the Jeep and when I take the parts off mine.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 111240
Well ran into a bit snag today, rear shackle is not compatible with the CJ lift springs I was using. Nor was it compatible with the shackle eye I ordered, so I will order a new shackle eye, and I wound up using the waggy front springs since they had a similar lift.

A small mod is going to have to be made to correct the shackle angle, but it wont be a bad deal at all.

Here are pics of it sitting on 3 wheels for a test of the ride height.

I really want to see it on the ground all the way, then I can get to work getting the 304 transplanted in.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 111240
Got to drive it tonight for the first time with the new front suspension in, it rides like a dream, all the death wobble is gone, it goes down the road straight and true, ride is amazing. I am so in love with my Jeep.

I still have some things to do to the suspension, I have to put my Currie u-bolt plate on the drivers side, I still have to get the rear brake line in and get the rear brakes bled, and lower the E-brake lines. Also have to get the right shackle hangers for the rear. As soon as I go this thing is going to be really coming together fast.

Next I need to get the transmission built so I can get new drive-shafts made, the front drive-shaft is now too short, and I suspect so is the rear.

So as soon as the transmission is built I will be stabbing it and the 304 and getting the front clip switched over.

Then it is a matter of fixing some rust, swapping the good heater out of the other jeep over, and with that I should be pretty close to having it on the road, going to be a lot of work, but it will be well worth the while.

Last edited by Beastus_Maximus; 10-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 187821
Cool build! Its coming together well! Keep it up!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 154785
I will be followin this one how is ur back?
cheech66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 213127
I have been working on the jeep quite a bit, for some reason my account over here quit working so I had to create a new one.

Here are the updated posts:

Well today has been a productive day, Got back into corpus last night, this morning took my friend to the airport, when I got back to the house I did some cleaning up around the driveway, then got the jeep fired up. Much to my amazement after sitting for 3 months it fired right up after a little cranking, I was worried it would be dead.

Then I got it backed up to my M105 trailer.

The tire on the drivers side of the trailer is flat, so you can see about how high it will ride when I get rid of the ton and a half running gear and stuff a 3500 lb axle in it with a set of 33x12.50's on there with the same bolt pattern as the jeep.

I know a lot of folks are going to say this is a lot of trailer for the CJ7 to pull, and they are right. I am upgrading my CJ to bigger axles with bigger brakes, I am running Waggy springs in the back, and I will be running upgraded brakes with a hydraboost. As well I am cutting a lot of weight out of the trailer, and if I can not get it light enough by ditching the axle and heavy springs, I am going to build a new frame out of 2x4" 3/16" wall box tube.

As far as the body of the trailer goes, it is close in size to the Jeep its self, I am confident with the upgrades and changes I am making that it will be able to tow it just fine.

I have another m101 that I am fixing up for my buddy Kirk, it is going to get a standard trailer axle, and it will get cleaned up and painted as well I am throwing some standard 6" oval trailer lights on it.

Going to be a busy couple of months, tomorrow I am going to get the rear suspension on the Jeep finished up, then maybe get to tackle a few of the last things on the front suspension finished up. Hopefully next week I will get to drive it some before I pull the engine to stuff the 304 & NV4500 in.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Today was a busy day, I started out at the machine shop, picked up my flywheel. They surfaced it and put a new ring gear on it for me.

Then I picked up my NV4500 from the transmission shop.

and headed over to my buddy's house to get the garage cleaned out.

Then I got all my tools and the jeep packed over there.

It couldn't happen a moment too soon, because on the way down it sprung a massive oil leak I guess it wanted to go out with a bang.

The motor is still good, it is just throwing oil, don't know where from. I think it is at the front cover somewhere.

Also got the 304 up on the stand, yanked the headers and carb, drained the oil, tomorrow I am going to take the wire wheel to it and get it all cleaned up and painted, it will be tan like everything else on the jeep.

As well here is a pic of the MORE engine mounts I bought, they are pretty!

I am excited, this thing is really starting to shape up. I am hoping to have it back together in about a week and a half. Already chomping a the bit to drive it.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Today was a busy day, did a bunch more cleaning up on the engine. Got all the accessory drive stripped off of the front of it. Cleaned up quite a bit of it with the wire wheel. Tomorrow I am going to get some small wire brushes and simple green and attack the rest.

Then I got busy getting the engine pulled. I was amazed at how easily it came out.

This is my first Jeep project and I am really beginning to appreciate what a well built rig Jeep's are, they are simple by design, and AMC did one hell of a job designing that 304 V8. I like how the oil pump is part of the front cover, it is simple effective and easy to work on. I also like how the oil filter is on its side, this will make changing it less of a mess.

What was real fun was trying to get the engine high enough to clear the grille.

If you notice the end of the boom on the picker is up in the rafters.

Got it high enough and rolled the Jeep back out from under it.

It was a damn good feeling having the motor out and on the floor. Tomorrow morning I will get after the transmission. It isn't going to take much to get it sitting on the floor. Then the long process of cleaning up the engine bay begins. Going to be all that much more fun because the 258 started throwing oil, everything is covered in it.

I would have stayed later tonight, but by the time I shut down I was toast, my back was absolutely killing me so it was time to hang it up.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Well didnt get anything done yesterday, I was hurting way too bad.

Today I ripped the front clip off, scrubbed, scrubbed, and scrubbed some more, the seam sealer on the fire wall is all shot. Here are some pics.

Also finally got the trans dropped, and I painted a test patch on the firewall, I think the Rust Oleum is going to look great!

Tomorrow I am going to do some more scrubbing down and cleaning up, then going to treat all the rust with ossfoa that will have to dry over night, then I will paint it, then do the seam sealer, then paint the sealer.

In the mean time going to finish getting the engine cleaned up and painted. As well need to patch the bullet hole in the floor, tomorrow I will be getting my new welder so I can get crackin on that.

I am going to go take a nap now. Catch up with you all tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Today I ordered up a ton of stuff, got a passenger side fender on the way, ordered a dual battery tray.

Also got some stock style fender flares and ordered new wheels.

I needed new wheels because the Wagoneer Axles are 6 lug. It is actually cheaper to go 6 lug than it is to convert the axles to 5's.

Still waiting on my new welder. It "should" be here tomorrow. I am kind of stuck until it shows up.

Today I did get all the old seam sealer cleaned out, sprayed everything down with rust converter. Tomorrow morning I am going to get the seam sealer in, then assuming my welder is here get the bullet hole patched.

Then Thursday I should be able to paint the frame and firewall. Then if everything goes right Friday or Saturday the engine will go back in. Then I can get the front put back on. and hook everything up, then start worrying about getting it drivable!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Today was a busy day, I picked up my new Lincoln PowerMig 256, got it all put together, then I wiped down the fire wall and squirted seam sealer in it and had to call it a night because they were having a party.

Tomorrow I have another seam to seal, then I will patch the bullet hole. Once that is wrapped up I will roll the jeep outside and let it sit in the sun to let the sealer harden, then I will get down and dirty getting the engine cleaned up the rest of the way, and the transfer case.

Friday I will paint the frame and firewall then Saturday I will hopefully be stuffing the engine and transmission back in it. Then it is just a matter of getting it all hooked up and the sheet metal hung back on it. Getting really close to having it running again now.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Today got more done, got the necessary plug to get the welder plugged in and fired up. it is absolutely awesome, it has digital gauges this is going to come in real handy.

I was able to get the bullet hole welded up, got the rest of the seam sealer in, tomorrow I am going to clean the frame and firewall again, then I am going to start priming and painting. I should be stuffing the motor Sunday if everything goes right.

Also when I got home Brown Santa had left me some more goodies.

There were 5 of these:

and one of these:

Ordered it from Collins brothers, paid a pretty penny for it, but it was worth it.

has a small crack on the back by the lowest bolt hole.

But that will be really easy to fix.

Should be getting more deliveries in the next couple of days. I am getting really close to having everything I need to get it on the road, I am pretty happy about this. I have a video I will post a bit later.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 213127
80 CJ7 Project update - firewall and goodies - YouTube
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Time for todays update.

Got the firewall primed.

And painted!

Tomorrow I am going to work on getting the frame cleaned and painted, and try to finish getting the engine transmission and transfer case cleaned up and painted. Then either Sunday or Monday they will be going back in!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Well only one picture for what I got done today, but it is a good one!

Finished cleaning and scraping on the motor earlier today, finally was able to mask it off and paint it up. I am really happy with how it turned out, especially with how the cast aluminum valve covers look on it.

I also got my bell housing painted, and started cleaning up the transfer case, the T case was filthy, and even more fun, I broke both of my torx bits trying to remove the 6 bolts that hold the input shaft in place, so I wound up having to drill them out. That was not fun. Luckily I was able to get one of them out in one piece and will be able to use it as an example to get some new ones.

With a few whacks from a hammer I was able to loosen the stubs up enough to pull them out with a pair of vice grips. Tomorrow morning I have a doctors appointment, after that I am going to be heading down to the parts house to get the novak conversions input shaft swapped in, then I will finish cleaning up the transfer case, get it painted, then bolt everything together and it will be ready to be stuffed in!

The next thing I have to worry about is finishing some cleanup on the frame rails, then I am going to paint them with Rust Oleum Undercoating. Then I will be ready to slide the drivetrain in place, and to start seeing what will have to do for a transmission cross member.

Hopefully I can be driving it by Saturday because that is when the temp tag on my other truck runs out.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Today got cut short, I forgot to bring my slide hammer, so I didn't get to get the engine in. I have to pull the old pilot bearing and put in a new one, id be tempted just to run it, but the old one is buggered up pretty bad so I am not going to risk it.

The fact that I have been in a lot of pain has been complicating things too I am having a hard time walking so it is making progress slow going. I am seriously ready for this to just be over with.

I did managed to get the transfer case all mounted up to the transmission though. I was surprised how tight of a fit the transmission output shaft to the novak conversions input shaft was. I had to use a dead blow to get the transfer case to go on and seat up.

It is probably better that I am waiting until tomorrow to mount it up anyways because it means the RTV will be able to seal up over night before I start messing with it.

I did also wire wheel the frame and paint it with the rust oleum rubberised undercoating.

All that is left to do now is to put the new pilot bearing in, mount the flywheel and clutch, then I can bolt the engine to the transmission, bolt up the motor mounts, then I can stuff it in!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Today was a busy day.

Got the engine and transmission mated up. Forgot to bring my clutch alignment tool with me, so instead of being able to line it up easy, I wound up just hanging the clutch, left the disc loose mated it up and was able to tighten the clutch down through the hole for the throw out arm.

It all worked out.

Finally hoisted it up, rolled the jeep in, stuffed it in its hole.

Having it in place was such an awesome feeling.

Tomorrow I will be building a transmission cross member, then once I do that I will start getting the front fenders cleaned up and bolted in place, and the grill and hood. I have a few repairs that I need to do to the grill but it should not take too long. Going to be a great feeling seeing it all put back together.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Got my transmission cross member built tonight.

The pics suck because I forgot my camera, took em with my cell phone.

Tomorrow will get it bolted in and finished up. Then I can start working on getting the accessory drive put back on the engine. Need to get the power steering hooked up, also have to clearance the front cross member on the frame.

I will remember my camera tomorrow so you all can see it installed.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Well got a lot done today, started off by bolting up the new trans cross member.

I am really happy with how it turned out. I still have some finishing to do to it later, I will wind up capping all of the tubes and adding a skid plate. but for now it is good to go.

Also bolted up the accessory drive. I didn't bother cleaning it up real pretty because I am going to get the Bulltear serpentine drive setup for it.

Then I got the new fender cleaned up, painted and installed.

I also took the time to scrub up the rest of the front clip the best I could tomorrow morning I am going to reinstall it. Put the hood back on, put the doors back on, get my mess cleaned up and town the jeep home with the tow bar.

Over the next couple of months I am going to be gathering parts again, I need Headers, all the exhaust, a pair of drivelines, and all of the goodies for the axles. I am also going to get a new wiring harness, need new control cables for the Heater, and need a new heater core. Lots of little things but slowly and surely it is coming back together. I am just glad this phase of the project is over with.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 213127
Crappy cell phone pic...

THE FRONT CLIP IS BACK ON!!!

Had to come home for a little bit because I was getting violently ill. I have a few more things to button up tonight, then clean up my mess and bring it home!

Going to be sitting for the next couple of months until I can get my new wiring harness, headers and driveshafts. as well going to get a new heater core, rebuild the heater, do a DD fab dash, and instal all new gauges, Little things like that. Need to get all the parts to do it first so the jeep will be going back into storage for a while.

I sure am happy to have it this far though.