Need Some Engine Advice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 186971
Need Some Engine Advice

I have been a lurker here for a while, just checking things out but never have to much to say. Some of you guys have some pretty crazy rides and fabricate things I can hardly dream of. I come to you all in need of some help.

This winter I rebuilt my 1997 TJ. suspension lift, new brakes including lines, repainted the entire jeep, pulled the engine (4.0L) and rebuilt it while upgrading to a comp performance cam. To be exact it was a 68-232-4. I had the head done professionally, and I found valve springs for a dodge magnum would fit and have the pressures I needed for the new cam. The engine now runs like a beast. Ive been driving it for about three weeks now and have a check engine light. I am due for emissions testing next week and this is why I need help.

It's current engine codes are 11 and multiple 43 codes. When I first start the Jeep it misses badly for the first 15 to 20 seconds. After that it runs mostly okay but idles with a very unsteady miss which is probably a weak injector. This should not account for how crappy it runs when it first starts after sitting over night. I am going to replace all the injectors this weekend. Any other ideas on what this could be? If I dont have this solved in a few days I'll have to drive with illegal plates.

It also did this before the engine rebuild so it is not a new issue.

Last edited by nbeaster; 07-21-2011 at 04:35 PM.
nbeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
ROCPUNK

Member # 150259
If this happened BEFORE the rebuild you probably put a bad "something" back on.

****OR****

Did you ever move, change, or reroute any fuel related stuff?

I know if you had to change the pump, fuel lines, or emission shit, and don't get everything put back right, you will throw codes and rough idle until fuel system pressure over comes any leak you may have.

Do you have more specifics on exactly what codes?
Hotpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
ROCPUNK

Member # 150259
This may help too:

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...565&highlight=
Hotpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 186971
Thanks for the replies. The thread posted was solved from a CPS which matches my code 11. I have a really long crank cycle when starting which could be caused by a bad CPS. It can take 5-6 seconds of cranking to start.

Code 11 - No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.

Code 43 - Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time. Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)

I'm thinking that my crank position sensor could be getting weak, and I have a bad injector which is leading to a bad combination.

I think my fuel line on the return may have a leak, if it does it is not much. Would that be able to cause missing?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 110248
the return line shouldn't...

quick test for your injectors, with the motor running pull each of the plugs for the injectors (or plug wires for the lazy) and see if you get no change from one of them.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 186971
Alright yesterday I checked the injectors. Cylinder 3 was the one that I found to be missing. I installed an entire extra set of injectors I had and put it back together. I also replaced the crank position sensor because it takes a while to start when cranking, and the motor didnt have good response when I first hit the throttle. CPS sensor fixed the slow start and throttle response. However, I still have a miss at cylinder 3, even with the new set of injectors. I wiggled the wiring harness to see if it got better or worse and it didnt change anything. Now I'm thinking maybe the distributor has a bad spot? I replaced the cam pickup in it last summer and I am pretty sure it is fine. Any ideas?

Keep in mind the miss I am having is not a hard miss. I dont really feel it when driving, and if I rev the motor up to 2000 rpm it will miss sporatically.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 110248
check the plugs? wires? do you have noid lights to test the harness for the injectors?