ford 5.0 vacuum lines - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4962
ford 5.0 vacuum lines

I started my '48 cj2a build in June slapping in a built 5.0 and I've got vacuum line questions---

I've got gt40p heads, explorer intake, blocked off EGR, hydro boost for brakes, and the smog pump is in a box where it belongs.....

I know the fuel pressure regulator needs vacuum, but I'm not sure what else I need concerning vacuum to make this thing run---I'm still a ways to get it running, but I'm running wires and getting all the engine stuff put together so I can figure out where I can put things.....

diagrams show things but I'm not sure what they are or if I even need them....

so anyone who has a clue please feel free to chime in----chris
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 26465
If I remember correctly the only vacuum I'm running on mine is the FPR and brake booster.

You want to hook the electrical up to the TAB and TAD solenoids to keep the computer happy but don't actually have to run any of the vacuum lines to them. They, along with the smog pump are what cause most of the vacuum mess in the diagrams.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4962
cool--like I said the diagrams show some other things, but I didn't think I needed them, just want to be sure---

the wiring harness from RJM has the EGR delete built into it so I had no connector, thus the block off plate and all the other connectors make sense or at least I have a place for them---

chris
Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4962
MDDimmick--one more question, what guages are you using, like which ones & what manufacturer???
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4962
what about the pcv?? are you running one of those?? I don't recall seeing anywhere where one would go...and I guess there's no need for the charcoal cannister either..chris
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 26465
Right now all I have is 2 Autometer traditional chrome guages. One for water temp and the other for oil pressure. Have a third for tranny temp but not currently installed. Just make sure to get electric gauges, having water/oil lines burst under your dash is no fun. I took out all of the heater plumbing on the passenger side and hooked the water temp sender into the hole that left.

I am running PCV, it hooks into the back of the manifold by the firewall if I remember correctly. There is a large vacuum port on the underside of the drivers side intake manifold. I'm actually running both PCV and my brake booster off this (not really supposed to do that but it doesn't seem to hurt anything).
Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton7 View Post
what about the pcv?? are you running one of those?? I don't recall seeing anywhere where one would go...and I guess there's no need for the charcoal cannister either..chris
It does behind the intake, you will see the little hole.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4962
thanks guys--i think the port is blocked off if I'm remembering correctly, as I don't recall an open hole in the intake, besides where sensors go----I'll try and run without first----

gonna be awhile before it's up and running, got the rear 4 link to finish(almost there), got the whole front 3 link suspension to do, plus cleaning up and rebuilding the ford dana 60 kingpin, wiring, set rear 1/2 of body back on, construct the 12" stretch parts, tranny hump, driveshafts, rock sliders, roll cage, fuel system, engine stuff, steering,........---well you get the idea.....

mddimmick--10-4 on the electrical guages, thanks..........chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.