Fuel tank, battery location, shocks in a CJ2A - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
Fuel tank, battery location, shocks in a CJ2A

Right now I have a yellow top optima mounted under the back of the Jeep, centered on the second to last cross member. Well, it took a dump and I haven't been hearing good things about the new optimas. So I decided to go with an Odyssey... Where should I mount it? I've thought about cutting into the rear fenderwell and mounting it in that corner but I don't like it so high. There's almost no room under the Jeep with the exhaust for the SBC, and offset Dana 18...
I could also fit it behind the driver seat like here:

And just put in an access hole in the tub. I like that idea, but, everything is offset to the driverside on my Jeep and it leans... That would make the problem worse. I could also do a battery well under the driver seat where the fuel tank is like the MB's had but I don't like the idea of sitting on top of the battery. Where could I put it?

Right now I have the stock fuel tank under the driver seat. The SBC is thirsty, and 10 gallons isn't a lot, plus whenever I take a right turn it sloshes out of the fuel tank. I know an intermediate CJ gas tank will fit between the rails in the back, would that be my best choice at 14 gallons?

Last, I have holbrook long leafs with no shocks/mounts. I'm thinking of putting 2" FOA's in it in the 12" flavor on all 4 corners, but unsure on upper mounts and how to measure for the correct length (guessing on 12")

Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5326
How about behind the dash on the passenger side?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
How about behind the dash on the passenger side?
I thought about an M38 battery tray and lid, but I have my heater notched into the dash and it takes up most of that room
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4962
from the FOA website here's the collapsed & extended lengths of their 2.0 shocks:

Shock lengths eye to eye-----collapsed---extended
6in. ------ 12.3"---------18.3"
8in. ------ 14.3"--------22.3"
10in. ---- 16.3"..........26.3"
12in. ---- 18.3"..........30.3"
14in. ---- 20.3"..........34.3"
16in----- 22.3"...........38.3"
18in. --- 24.3"...........42.3"

so you put your rig at full droop or full stuff(best to check both of these before the final welding) and set up your mounts.....

as for battery and fuel tank that one is tricky---I know some willys had two tanks or maybe some guys removed the storage under the passenger seat and added another tank there, but then you have leaks on both sides, unless you welded on a newer filler neck--even then I'm not sure the leaks would be gone, but I'd think they'd be lessened---

you could build a custom tank to fit in between the frame rails in the back or under the rear seat or try and make another tank fit between the frame rails like you mentioned --or remove the back seat and buy an aftermarket(RCI for example) fuel cell and install it there----

now for the battery, I know the Odyssey batteries come in pretty small sizes, so depending on what size you want it could go in the storage bin under the passenger seat or under the driver's seat or way in the back--again depending on the physical size of the battery you will have more options on the smaller sizes----

not much help I know and I'll have more info once I install my tank and battery, but right now I'm not sure what I'm going to do---I have a RCI tank that's 7" tall, 30" side to side and 16" from front to back and right now it's just sitting in the back, but I don't like it---I may cut the floor out and recess it some or not--it's not on my immediate to do list right now, but it's getting closer----that's why I set it in there---

the battery I have no clue as of right now as I still have to many things to get accomplished under the hood and elsewhere----

keep us posted ----chris
Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton7 View Post
from the FOA website here's the collapsed & extended lengths of their 2.0 shocks:

Shock lengths eye to eye-----collapsed---extended
6in. ------ 12.3"---------18.3"
8in. ------ 14.3"--------22.3"
10in. ---- 16.3"..........26.3"
12in. ---- 18.3"..........30.3"
14in. ---- 20.3"..........34.3"
16in----- 22.3"...........38.3"
18in. --- 24.3"...........42.3"

so you put your rig at full droop or full stuff(best to check both of these before the final welding) and set up your mounts.....

as for battery and fuel tank that one is tricky---I know some willys had two tanks or maybe some guys removed the storage under the passenger seat and added another tank there, but then you have leaks on both sides, unless you welded on a newer filler neck--even then I'm not sure the leaks would be gone, but I'd think they'd be lessened---

you could build a custom tank to fit in between the frame rails in the back or under the rear seat or try and make another tank fit between the frame rails like you mentioned --or remove the back seat and buy an aftermarket(RCI for example) fuel cell and install it there----

now for the battery, I know the Odyssey batteries come in pretty small sizes, so depending on what size you want it could go in the storage bin under the passenger seat or under the driver's seat or way in the back--again depending on the physical size of the battery you will have more options on the smaller sizes----

not much help I know and I'll have more info once I install my tank and battery, but right now I'm not sure what I'm going to do---I have a RCI tank that's 7" tall, 30" side to side and 16" from front to back and right now it's just sitting in the back, but I don't like it---I may cut the floor out and recess it some or not--it's not on my immediate to do list right now, but it's getting closer----that's why I set it in there---

the battery I have no clue as of right now as I still have to many things to get accomplished under the hood and elsewhere----

keep us posted ----chris
Full droop is easy, but how should I get to full stuff? Do I just pick a point to measure off of and see what would fit?
I thought about making a custom fuel tank to fit under the rails and stay clear of the diff, but I don't know how/what to make it out of. I'm a pretty good TIG welder but not much experience in fuel tank making. If I could find a fuel cell to fit... Hmm.
As for the battery, I want to go with this type:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...ry-p-2049.html
But I have no idea what the battery lug styles are?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
old school idiot

Member # 86194
i have had 2 red tops recessed in the floor (be that hole behind the t case)with a disconnect on the trans hump. i also have 24" more to play with than you but now that i think on it i did that to the 80" body before the strech in 95. i have inside frame single 3" exhust. i'm on my second set in 15 years. the first lasted 12. that said i had a set of yellow top and a set of red tops die in 2 years on other junk i have. have the odessy in my rzr for 4 yrs works well. i just got 2 exide blems from battery mart for $70 ea. i also have a 19gl tank that fits under the seats. i flattened the floor to fit it. drive shaft don't hit but i'm on a soa.
51 willys 106" with some fast stuff
retired wheeler

Last edited by wilez5150; 10-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.
wilez5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4962
find your points at full droop--12" shock is 30.3" extended and then stuff the axle to where the mounts are 18.3 apart---you can do the opposite also-

that battery should give you lot's of options due to its size---it may just fit on its side in the storage area under the passenger seat, but it's going to be close if I think....

Last edited by csutton7; 10-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.
csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
old school idiot

Member # 86194
any steel yard can do bend an shear to size. tanks are not hard to make. 3 bends one way 3 bends the other put them togather to make a box. 2 baffles an build a pickup/sender in the top. lo pressuer air less than 1 psi to check for leaks. if a dummy like me can make one you should be able to
51 willys 106" with some fast stuff
retired wheeler
wilez5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5326
I know it probably won't work.....

In-between the frame rails under the winch mounting plate? Steering will most likely get in the way. But a little extra weight up front and down low could be nice, especially with a short wheelbase.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
Quote:

In-between the frame rails under the winch mounting plate? Steering will most likely get in the way. But a little extra weight up front and down low could be nice, especially with a short wheelbase.

For a fuel tank? 3 gallon max? lol
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
Quote:

Oh damn, you're talking about a battery. I don't have room at all there... Belleview mounts sunk into the bumper, and I'd like to keep it centered in the vehicle or toward the rear. My front end is damn heavy, and the rear tires spin whenever I try to take off.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5326
I was talking about the battery.....and the fuel tank would have been like 4 gallons!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
I may or may not have driven it for a while with that gas can being my fuel cell....
Ignore my first attempt at a bumper.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 9991
Step up to TPI EFI and I'll tune it for free. This will solve the fuel tank issue. Put the battery up high in the rear passenger fenderwell, and make an access for it.
The EFI will improve your mileage tremendously, and just run light years better. Your work shows that this would not be difficult for you.