Brutus: 1946 2A - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
This thread saved my ass. I'm about to pull my trans and case out of my '45.. Thanks guys..
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 198200
WooWoo! After a week of struggles, countless trips to O'Riley and Napa, and much appreciated help from you fine folks......... the tcase is free!
Though the transmission is a slightly different story. Only the shifter is in the way. It doesn't seem that the pin will drive out the other side... maybe.
Thanks for your help everyone. Off to the car wash tonight to clean that sucker off.

Thanks!
-Jak
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 9991
Take the bolts out of the top, and pull it out as an assembly.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 198200
http://www.jeepbrokers.com/jeep_proj..._spicer_18.htm

hahahaha, wish I had found this a little earlier.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 5326
On the transmission I would pull the top cover off first and get a look inside the transmission to see if you can get things back in place.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 198200
Transmission top plate came off with no problems, which allowed it to come out of the Jeep a-ok. It's going to need some work. The shafts have come apart and it looks like there are some needle bearings? floating in some oil at the bottom.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 6759
you're going to have to rebuild the tranny. all those needle bearings that fell to the bottom of the case go into the frt input shat. plus what ever else u dis-lodged by pulling the main shaft out. keep everything no matter what it looks like. novak and others have good rebuild kits depending on what needs to be replaced and t-90's are easy to re-build.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 198200
So I've got a few questions floating around in my head. I was wondering if you fellas had some good opinions for me;
Any recommendation for rebuild kits for tranny and tcase? Walcks? Novak? Someone else?
How do I measure the intermediate shaft? Will it be obvious when I open it up? (Tomorrow night I'm taking it to the car wash)
I'm also considering the axles. I plan on having the motor rebuilt, so no small block conversion or anything. Has anyone had issues with breaking axle shafts? Should I consider upgrading from the 25/41? I want to give it a 1-2" lift. It's got 30" tires. I might go to a 31". And shoot... how about those dinky looking drive shafts?
I want the finished product to be a rock crawler. I want this baby to tackle Hells Revenge with no problems. Shouldn't be an issue (I did Hells in a fully stock TJ).
Will it have the power with the Go Devil to ascend steep inclines? Should I go for costly lower gears in the tcase?
Sorry for being so long-winded.
I'd appreciate any input you guys have.
Thanks!
-Jak
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 5326
So I've got a few questions floating around in my head. I was wondering if you fellas had some good opinions for me;
Any recommendation for rebuild kits for tranny and tcase? Walcks? Novak? Someone else?

Any of those places will be just fine. I would probably go with a place like Walcks that will be able to give you decent support. Do you homework BEFORE you get it all torn apart. I think my friend jalbrecht42 did a pretty dang good job of documenting his restomod build on his CJ2a.

How do I measure the intermediate shaft? Will it be obvious when I open it up? (Tomorrow night I'm taking it to the car wash)

Once you get it cleaned up you should be able to measure from the outside without taking everything apart just yet.

I'm also considering the axles. I plan on having the motor rebuilt, so no small block conversion or anything. Has anyone had issues with breaking axle shafts? Should I consider upgrading from the 25/41? I want to give it a 1-2" lift. It's got 30" tires. I might go to a 31". And shoot... how about those dinky looking drive shafts?

Tough call. It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I ran my 10-spline D25 front around for years with the cv/reprezza style shafts and didn't pop anything...that was with 32" swampers, v6, granny 4spd, etc. I would probably just run the front till you pop one of the stock shafts and then stick the later u-joint style shafts in it. The next step beyond that is probably an open knuckle D30. I think that is a REALLY good option for these old jeeps. D44, D60, ford 9", toyota stuff....all can be made to fit.

In the rear, I would probably just keep the stock axle with 31's. If you can find a 19-spline D44 you can rob the side gears and shafts for your D41. Or if the gears match you can swap the whole thing. Same goes. You can put just about anything in it....

The stock driveshafts are not an issue. They still use 1310 joints. I wouldn't worry about them till you HAVE to.

I want the finished product to be a rock crawler. I want this baby to tackle Hells Revenge with no problems. Shouldn't be an issue (I did Hells in a fully stock TJ).

Driving through Hells Revenge and doing all the optional stuff on the trail is another thing. Hells Gate, Escalator, and Tip over challenge would be pretty dang intimidating in a stockish flat fender.

Will it have the power with the Go Devil to ascend steep inclines? Should I go for costly lower gears in the tcase?

If the engine is running properly you shouldn't have any issues in the proper gear.

The 3.15 Tera gears would be a nice addition to a stockish flat fender. Is it worth the money...tough call. The other option would be a 4-spd granny low transmission. The only real options for that with the stock engine is a factory cj5 T98A setup or a Novak modified dodge np435.

Sorry for being so long-winded.
I'd appreciate any input you guys have.
Thanks!
-Jak

No problem.

Two other things to think about.....

Steering. The stock steering system sucks. I would think long and hard about converting over to a more modern saginaw steering box, even if its still a manual version.

Brakes. I would recommend swapping over to a modern master cylinder along with disc brakes front and rear. The sidekick/tracker disc brake conversion I did on my Willys seems to be working pretty well. Its an affordable and cheap option that isn't hard to install.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 198200
Mieser, thanks for all your info. I'm glad I've got a good direction in which to research. I will check out what jalbrecht42 has to say before i go beyond taking the plate off the tcase.
Thanks!
-Jak
Old 05-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Just a heads up, the saginaw swap doesnt change the fact that the turning radius on a dana 25 is about 500 miles.
I did a 5 point turn trying to turn around in the yard a day or two ago lol
Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 198200
I took the tcase to the car wash today. I was afraid I would get in trouble with the guy running the joint, so I asked permission first. "I don't care what you wash here, but thanks for asking." Sweeeeeet. So after taking a shower in engine wash and grease for 15 mins, it still wasn't too clean.

So I got myself a cocktail of cleaners... and about an hour later, still pretty dirty.

I got most of the places I can get to. I wish I had a better attention span, and a work bench, and a vice.
I think tonight I might begin taking it apart.
Anyone who hasn't read the write-up that jalbrecht42 did, I highly recommend it.
-Jak
Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 171057
good job getting after it man!

when i bought my flatty almost two years ago i had NOTHING except a garage. i'd totally gotten out of the messing around with vehicles thing for several years and didn't know a dang thing about old jeeps until i started messing around, acquiring tools and knowledge along the way.

so just keep chugging along! i bought my trans and tcase rebuild stuff from novak, and followed the instructions at novaks website and at cj-3a.com. rebuilding these is a fun little project and totally worth the time and effort.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 198200
I didn't get very far, well didn't really do anything at all with the tcase. The nuts holding on the yolks are not the big beautiful 1 5/16" socket I have. Can anyone help me cheat and tell me what size deez nutz are? Took the belly pan off, the gears look good. No chips or anything.
I kind of solved my workbench problem by clearing out the bed. More fun on the way!
-Jak

It kind of excites me to think some of these gears may have not seen the light of sun in almost 70 years.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Colorado?

Thought this was a great write-up that will come in handy for you

http://thisoldjeep.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=248
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 198200
Mieser, that is an excellent writeup indeed. I'm sure it will be used when I get my pennies together for the rebuild kit. I live in Montrose right now, I plan on moving back to Ridgway this fall. My folks are building a new house with detached garage and apartment. Did you read that? GARAGE!!! WORKBENCH!!! VICE!!! I'm looking forward to it very much. Thanks for your constant input, bud
-Jak