1962 Willys Wagon Build - Page 38 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #926 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Thanks friend. I hope you will be blessed each day.

I ran across this J20 long bed tonight and have to say that this is the closest to how mine will look when it's done. Similar color, same wheels and tires. Except these are 42" IROKs and mine are 41's. It is exciting to see this. I have even bigger plans and exciting designs going into mine. But his is a beauty for sure. By the way, this shows exactly how I plan to trim my front fender flares on the front bottom edge.

I can't wait to see mine completed. Especially, standing next to my Willys wagon. That will be quite a day if it ever comes.

I got some pretty bad news about my spine last week. So I have been struggling with digging even deeper for strength to carry on. But that I will do.
MidnightBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #927 (permalink)

Member # 17918
Send a message via AIM to imgonnasnap
That truck does look good. I think it would look better with some black wheels though. it would fit the style better.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #928 (permalink)

Member # 133124
Hang in there Midnight, you can do it. You got everybody who has read and posted replies back about this on here pulling for you. God bless may the days get brighter.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #929 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
I keep truckin' along. At every turn another major hurdle with my spine, legs and now some even worse kind of spasticity and severe spasms in my legs all due to the ongoing nerve damage. It sucks BAD!! But nothing can keep me in the darkness. I walk in the light. My mind is clear and my spirit is strong. I am easily fatigued from relentless pain and my medication makes me tired at times. But I will never give up. I still love to design things even though I have to do it from my bed, I am thankful for God's blessings and grace everyday.

In fact, a few minutes ago I started thinking about a custom setup that preheats my windshield fluid to more quickly clear ice and snow off my windshield and to help break the wipers free if they get stuck. It might even help the wiper blades last longer. I can't really scrape my windshield off anymore without a lot of pain and serious risk of falling. Plus I must limit my exposure to cold temperatures or I lock up like a rusty old ratchet. Everything I do now is based on adjusting the smallest and seemingly unimportant things to make my life just a little better. One big one that is made up of a lot of little things is comfort and safety. Since I can't get out much, I have to make sure that when I do, I don't waste time on things that can ruin the experience in just seconds and force me back to bed because of extreme pain and an ever increasing number of other medical complications.

I haven't looked into it much, but it sounds like a good idea so far, as long as it doesn't overheat the fluid and cause the frozen windshield to crack. My old J200, Willys wagon and heck even my wife's Jeep TJ, don't have the modern luxurious heating element to do the job. So a new possibility for a custom kit that addresses all these issues is on the drawing board.

I did some quick looking around and found a few kits that do this, but they aren't exactly inexpensive. The kits I found are electric, which is nice. And I haven't thought about it enough yet to figure out how to make an electric unit. Although, it wouldn't take me long to figure that out I suppose. And I may go that route. But what about something else like wrapping a copper or steel tube around one of the header tubes? It could work as long as the line from there on was made of high temp rubber and the spray nozzle was metal as well. It sounds good in my head, but I would have to think on it some more.

The other idea I just had is to unify the heated washer system with my on-board oven that I use for heating up hot dogs, a can of soup or chili, or just about anything. This system works directly off a heater tube that runs from the header, exhaust manifold or collector up to a stainless steel box that mounts inside the cab on the transmission tunnel back under the dash or anywhere really. I call it the "on-the-go-oven". It's sweet because it's accessible from inside the cab and I designed it with a heater control valve and a temp gauge. It even gives me an option to heat up water for hot chocolate. Now, if I could figure out how to bake cookies on the road, I would really be into some serious heavenly cruising.

With this oven, I won't have to get out and lift up the hood then climb up on a slippery bumper and try to fish lunch off of a 200 degree engine in the wind, rain and snow. When I was younger it was not too big of deal, but no more of that. The oven is double walled and fully insulated too, so it doesn't transfer any heat into the cab. That is especially nice in the summer. Running AC, while heating up lunch.

So... A simple modification to my on-the-go-oven to include a windshield washer fluid heater might be just the ticket. I will put some more thought into it and let y'all know what I come up with.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-15-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #930 (permalink)

Member # 141069
Didnt the toyotas have instant heat in some of there rigs? Like the land cruisers, they were an electric heater of some sort........I think, Ill look around
elbastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #931 (permalink)

Member # 17918
Maybe get a metal container for the fluid and then using the heat of the engine have a transfer tube that heats the bottle/fluid.

Or after it comes out of the bottle, use a metal tube to wrap around the manifold and back into the bottle, then out to the wiper.

Spit ballin here

Last edited by imgonnasnap; 03-17-2012 at 08:16 AM.
imgonnasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #932 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
I found a reasonably priced kit that heats the fluid to 60 degrees. No need to make one. I am going to give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A0..._d_detail?pd=1

MB

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-17-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #933 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonnasnap View Post
Maybe get a metal container for the fluid and then using the heat of the engine have a transfer tube that heats the bottle/fluid.

Or after it comes out of the bottle, use a metal tube to wrap around the manifold and back into the bottle, then out to the wiper.

Spit ballin here

That's exactly what I was thinking. I wrote that above. But after finding a clean inexpensive way to go electric, I think it's the way to go. Primarily because it won't overheat the water and break a frozen windshield. Not that it couldn't be done the other way by experimenting with the number of coils, distance, etc. I don't know how long it takes the electric unit to heat up the washer fluid.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-17-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #934 (permalink)
Wingin it....

Member # 19742
Send a message via Skype™ to 73FJ
A friend of mine many years ago had some tubing wrapped around a header on his 454 BB to heat the washer fluid, simple and easy.

Pirate, please make a Willys section....... c'mon I said please. YAY!

Now with FJ 45 flavor!

Willys wagon build thread
/forum/jeep-willys/817672-59-willys-circle-wagons.html
73FJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #935 (permalink)

Member # 151432
Warm water can freeze quicker than cold water.. adding heat to windshield washer fluid makes no sense at all. Use a anti freeze windshield washer fluid like the rest of us.
faziom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #936 (permalink)
Wingin it....

Member # 19742
Send a message via Skype™ to 73FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by faziom View Post
adding heat to windshield washer fluid makes no sense at all.
Really? You don't think that hot fluid would be better for cleaning something? You are not heating water, you are heating washer fluid, the commercial kind, doesn't freeze. Hot fluid is also very effective for cleaning off bugs in the summer.

Pirate, please make a Willys section....... c'mon I said please. YAY!

Now with FJ 45 flavor!

Willys wagon build thread
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817672
73FJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #937 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Exactly. It's not water.

My personal reason for considering this isn't because I am lazy. It's because I can't scrape my windows due to my physical limitations. Plus, I have to limit my exposure to extreme weather conditions. That's also why I need heated seats and a very good heater/AC system.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #938 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
A friend of mine is finishing the last bit of bodywork in preparation for paint. He is very good at this stuff. I suppose he should be since he does this and much more for a living. He owns his own business... The Car Doctor! So, tomorrow everything will be ready for the final coat of primer and then paint. One thing I really like about this part is that the door entry area is going to be much cleaner and smoother than OEM. I always like these little upgrades. Most people don't care about things like this, but I always have.

Some photos of the day.

More after he is done tomorrow.

My PA-108 ammo boxes arrived today. Great news..

The Optima batteries fit perfectly. The lid closes perfectly and seals. No clearance issues at all.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-21-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #939 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Joe came by today and finished up the last bit of body filler and sanding. Then he sprayed the cab with DP90 Epoxy Primer. It turned out very nice. Next weekend he is going to spray filler primer and perfect a few body lines. Then it's finally time for paint.

A few photos:

Once the cab is done, then everything can go back together. It's a great feeling to finally be rid of the great pumpkin Charlie Brown. Thanks so much to Joe and a few other friends who stopped by to help today. It really cheered me up. This is really going to be a beautiful classic truck.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #940 (permalink)

Member # 17918
That is starting to look BAD ASS
Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #941 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Thanks friend. My vision is now becoming a reality. It still drives me crazy to have to watch everyone else having all the hands-on fun. But at least I get some very nice satisfaction from seeing my designs come into reality. Thank God I can still design some stuff now and then when I feel up to it. This adjustable Tempur-Pedic bed sure helps too. If I had to sit at a desk or table, I would never be able to concentrate through the pain. It sucks, but it's what I am left with.

It is amazing how nice it looks with just one coat of primer. It almost looks like it's painted. I really like this Willys Jeep in black more than I thought I would. It's tempting stick with it. But I will continue with the original plan and have Joe paint it forest green. There will be black accents to balance it out.

My design for electric steps is now complete. They are similar in function to those that are on the market, except they won't cost me anywhere near the ridiculous prices companies charge for theirs.

My steps are much better suited for extreme conditions, because they are completely encased in a steel housing when retracted. This way, they are not exposed to weather and cannot be damaged by a rock or other things, because they don't just tuck up against the rocker panel. They will drop down when the door is open and retract when it closes. I have large courtesy lights tucked up under the cab to maximize visibility at night.

It is going to make it much easier for me to step up into my truck and safely step down. I will show the final product when they are completed and installed.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-25-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #942 (permalink)

Member # 115570
I'm lovin both these vehicles! I have also been trying to figure out some kind of electric step that will be affordable and relativly damage proof.

On another note, do you have any pics of your finished wiper setup for the wagon? I am REALLY looking forward to rebuilding my wipers and would like to have something that eliminates the cables - as I believe you are doing.

Hang in there!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #943 (permalink)

Member # 133124
Looking fantastic Midnight, you're a jeep building genius sir. Can't wait to see how this thing comes out, best of luck and as always hope you feel better.

Matt
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #944 (permalink)

Member # 23579
Great work as always. Love the attention to detail. Back in for another fine build.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #945 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
More significant progress today on the cab. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day. Absolutely perfect. It was in the 70's and the warmth felt so good on my bones!

Joe started this morning with one primary goal. To true up the body lines and then spray multiple coats of high fill primer. It turned out beautifully. At the end of the day he sprayed a quick guide coat on everything. The guide coat makes it possible to clearly see high any low spots during the final sanding and shaping process. Tomorrow he will finalize the sanding then spray a final smooth sealer coat of DP90. After that.... It's all ready for paint. This is an exciting stage and I am very happy with the results. You will never even know that a 78 top was welded on to a 64 cab.

A few photos of the day.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 04-06-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #946 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright Willys View Post
I'm lovin both these vehicles! I have also been trying to figure out some kind of electric step that will be affordable and relativly damage proof.

On another note, do you have any pics of your finished wiper setup for the wagon? I am REALLY looking forward to rebuilding my wipers and would like to have something that eliminates the cables - as I believe you are doing.

Hang in there!
I do have pics of the complete system somewhere. I will dig through my stash and see what I can find to post. My wagon dash area is different than a stock one, so it is on my list to modify my design to include a wiper motor bracket that will bolt or weld into a stock Willys wagon or truck. That way, I can create a kit that anyone could use. The kit also includes intermittent wipers.

Ok?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #947 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
I ordered my black projector headlights that I will test out on this truck. They have the same H4 bulbs that I have in my Hella headlights. But the design and dark look of these will fit the theme and colors of this project perfectly. These are the same lights they put in the new Chevy Camaro's.

I decided to go with M715 military style tail lights instead of the stock looking lights from a J200 that I have been saving for it.

The other cool thing is that I can remove the blackout filter and all the bulbs. Then install my new 12 volt red and clear LED bulbs and have tail, turn/brake and backup lights all in one flush mount housing. I decided to go with these lights rather than the similar Hummer lights that have the big mounting bezel. This will look cleaner.

I also received my rearview mirror. Auto-dimming, outside temp and compass. Looks to be very high quality.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 04-06-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #948 (permalink)

Member # 190452
Awesome builds, do you have a link for those lights? Thanks
IndyFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #949 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFab View Post
Awesome builds, do you have a link for those lights? Thanks
Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005C1...cs_sce_3p_dp_1

They are available from many other companies. But the prices vary greatly. Not sure why. I hope these are what I think they are. They should have glass lenses with replaceable H4 bulbs.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 04-02-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #950 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Joe got most of the final wet sanding done today. It is amazingly smooth and straight. He had to leave early, so no final sealer or paint. But it's ok. Family comes first. Next weekend the paint should be complete on the cab. It is an exciting stage. I can't wait to see the final color!

The rest of the parts will go much faster. They have been blasted and will require very little body work. We talked about priorities and the doors are next. Once they are painted, they can be reinstalled along with all the new weatherstripping and glass. Then the cab will be completely sealed up and safe to roll outside to make room for all the remaining parts to be prepped and painted. I will have to call in the troops to help move everything around again.

At each stage, I will do my best to continue taking photos.