Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#314 ·
Just arriving from the Atacama desert again :D
The MB did great.
I had the oportunity to test it against a 6.1 Hemi JK....check the video to see the results..(we did 4 runs, always the same result)
Anyway, I just sold my 5.3 engine to a friend....now the old Willys will sport a 2007 6.0 LY6, with LS3 Vette´s intake with 47 lb/hr injectors and Nelson reprog. :smokin:

YouTube - Willys 5.3 v/s Rubicon Hemi

#336 · (Edited)
Thanks.

At the moment the motor is ready to go to the engine bay.
I had to change the water pump, because with the crash of the donor vehicle, the pulley was bend.
Tomorrow I`m flying to LA, so the next 2 weeks there wont be much progress.
I already send ECM to NP to be reflash.
Luckily, the MB will be ready for a Dunes Contest in Atacama, by mid May.

#337 ·
Next friday should be the D day
Only things left: radiator and oil cooler intall.
Exaust it´s gonna be next week headache.....
I´m more exited than the day I got married...I want to drive this shit NOW ! :D

Attachments

#340 ·
Can you post a couple of close up shots of your front bumper from the sides, corners, and front? I want to see how you did the corners. Is it one piece of bent plate? Or two pieces welded together on the corners? i can't tell from the pictures. They are too far away

Thanks man

#342 ·
I kept the VVT. I bought a Gen IV harness that allows me to keep the VVT and the DBW TB.
The Nelson tune plus the LS3 intake, 42# injectors, air aid, and exaust, should put me close to 400 hp and 410lb/ft.

#346 · (Edited)
Finally today, after 2 weeks that I tried to start the engine, the beast is ALIVE !!!!!! :smokin:
I checked 3 times the harness, plug by plug, I studied that fkng wiring scheme every day, and nothing. At the end, Nelson Performance sended me another ECM plus the HP Tuners software. I couldn`t reach Allen Nelson today, so I decide to start playing with the HP Tuners by my self. Was not that difficult. I was able to edit the "new" ECM, disable both VATS...and voila It started right away.
Sooo....I don`t know why, but NP sended the first ECM locked :confused:
Now I need to wait until they send the new Performance file and load it on the ECM.
Hopefully I will drive it on thursday :D

Here a video of the second start

YouTube - ly6 running

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.