Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#348 ·
Just to have my post updated, I will put here what I posted at Generals Forum

Finally today I was able to test the new engine.
It`s a 2007 LY6, with LS3 intake and injectors, Air aid, Gibson headers, dual Magnaflows and Nelson Performance Tune.
The upgrade was not that easy as I thought it would be.
First, since I wanted to keep the VVT, I had to change the harness for a Gen IV wiring. Then I had trouble with the first ECM, I dont know why, but it arrived without the VATS removed
Then they sent me another ECM, but this time I decide to purchase the HP Tuners to makes thing easier and faster. I was able to remove both VATS of the new ECM and voila, it started. I uploaded the tuned file and thought I was done...but...the engine was not running ok...not good pedal response, and poor performance....scanned with the HP Tunner and discovered the values for LTFT`s waaayyy to negative.
I sent the file back and they found the problem....injectors flow rate was still stock 29#... Well, changed the values to 40# and immediately the engine woke up....
So here is the result......this was today...ENJOY

YouTube - ‪Prueba Willys LY6 Ritoque‬‏

#352 · (Edited)
I dont have VSS.
Idle is fine and I don`t need it for the transmission (TH350).
When I had the 5.3 it was in the same way..no VSS...never had problem.

BTW, finally today I took it to the scale....I though it would be lighter...but it´s not bad. (It`s in kilograms)

3439 pounds.

Attachments

#358 ·
Continuing with the "vintage decoration", I added 2 rear bags for the winch control, pull strap and snatch block. I also bought 2 side mussette bags for more cargo space and the rear water bucket that goes tied to the jerry can (on the way from the US)
Another WW2 touch was the front grille "Bridge Plate". Originally this number over the yellow circle represented the weight of the rig for bridge cross purpose. In this case I wrote the engine size :smokin:

Attachments

#366 ·
By not driving like an idiot. :flipoff2:

Seriously though those fenders are so far inboard he'd have to work to hit them. Even Rick Péwé's fenders were relatively straight. Heck they were probably the straightest peices of sheet metal on his flattie.

#367 ·
Sorry for respond before, but I am traveling with my family through the west (Ca, Ut, Nv, Az) in a Motorhome, without internet connection all the time.
For the kick down I made a bracket on the gas pedal....so far is working perfect.
Regarding the fenders, only the fronts rub a little bit under full compress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.