Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
We start with the tipical 2X4X.120 square tube. (For all porpouses, I have a friend who is helping me with the project)

Then we mounted the body and check for distances

Axles arrived…..both are Dana 44 with 4,11 cogs and ARB´s (they came out from a 1976 Wagoneer)

#3 · (Edited)
Trying to imagen the Iroks on it….

And finallly we have a rolling chassis……
Stilll need to wait the drivetrain to arrive from Miami to locate the axles in the their final position…

The idea is try to achieve 89-90” of WB…we will see. Defenitly I want to keep the body as original as possible….no comp cut on the rear. Probably I ´ll stretch the front (fenders & hood) 3-4” to have more room for the engine.

#6 ·
Cause I want to wait until I drop the complete drivetrain inside, and find out if I need to stretch the front (fenders and hood). I want to keep the stock fan/fan clutch. In the other hand, my idea is to try to reach 89-90" of WB, so I´ll move forward the front end also. Once I have those 2 things solve, I´ll cut the frame horns to the final length.

#7 · (Edited)
Other things I had bought on ebay.....

MB grill..need some work though...:p

2002 LM7.....probably at the Panama canal at this moment...:D

LS1 Intake, with fuel rails and 28 lb/hr injectors.

MC, Booster & pedal from a Wagoneer.
We will see if it fits...if no, I´ll go with Hydroboost.

AGR box. Now I need to buy the RAM...

#10 ·
Other things I had bought on ebay.....
MC, Booster & pedal from a Wagoneer.
We will see if it fits...if no, I´ll go with Hydroboost.

I'm not so sure about the booster.My nitrogen resevoir was pretty close to the coil pack on my hydroboost. but all you can do is try it out.

I'm looking more and more at getting an ls1 or 6 intake just to move the motor up. I'll wait and see how yours turns out :flipoff2:

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Good job :D

#8 · (Edited)
I forgot to say...
Springs are stock units from my Waggy (Waggy has BJ´s 4" lift now)
Front and rears are mounted backwards to gain extra WB (Offset center pin).
Of course I´m thinking on running an axle wrap bar on the rear.
As far as lift goes, now is sitting waaaay to high for me. My plan is to drop the engine, find the minimum safe distance between the oilpan and the axle and flat the springs to that...(looking for the minimun COG). If it still sits to high, I´ll go with the LS oil pan, which is 3" shorter than the truck version.

#12 ·
Same question I made to the previuos owner....no answer :shaking:
I guess somebody was having problems getting in/out.
That´s one of the things that needs to be fix on the tub.

#11 ·
I would say you'll have to stretch the front clip if your wanting to run the OEM fan (I'd say even an electric one) and a radiator up front. My buddy has a Willis flatty with a 454 TBI in it. The water pump pully and crank pully about an 1" from the front grill.

Soooo... why the MB over the CJ2A?

#14 ·
That´s what I think too.
Yesterday I took some quick measures of my Wagoneer engine (LQ4, stock fan/fan clutch) and looks like I´m short in 3-4" inches...even cutting all the shroud plates of the back of the MB grill.

#17 ·
Lookin good Svaras. Good to see you are starting to make progress on your project. It is a little bit more radical than my project but similar. The Gen III engine definitely fits but I think you will have to stretch the front a fair bit to use the stock clutch fan. I would sugest you go to an electric fan to keep the front end in proportion. The wheelbase would be better stretched in the body to make more room in there. Anyway looking good andlet me know if there is any info or pictures you need from my project.
Greg

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks Greg !
At this moment we are working on the cage, since the engine is scheduled to arrive next monday.
Defenetly I need the drivetrain in order to continue with axles placement and suspension height.
As per stretching the front clip, I`ll wait to throw in the engine...I have the suspect that I need at list 3 more inches to fit the stock fan.
Rgds
Sebastian

#24 ·
Drivetrain is in, now working on mounts...
It seems that I need app 3" more of space to place the rad/fan.
I´m debating between lenghten the front clip 3" or cutting the firewal and move the complete drivetrain 3" backward....The problem with this will be the lenght of the rear driveshaft....I don know :eek:

#26 ·
#27 · (Edited)
Well, have being a while without posting...
The project is going well....at this moment drivetrain is mounted and suspension is ready.
Now we are working on the tub mounts and steering.
Definetly there´s no room for the booster/MC of the waggy that I bought on ebay...it seems that an hydroboost will be the solution.
Here a few pics of the progress....

Some photoshop....

An this will be the final termination of the chasis...

#32 ·
More progress from today....tub mounts are ready, just waiting for the final weld.
Since today the tube was out of the frame, I was able to take a few detailed pics of mounts and more...
Yes, I do think the drivetrain angle is a little to much, probably I´ll tilt it a few degrees.

#35 · (Edited)
Definetly I´m thinking about puting a 1-1,5" spacer where the fenders meet the tub. With that, and placing the grille 1-1,5" forward (in line with the hood) I´ll be able to run the 3" wide radiator plus the Taurus Fan (8" total).
We will see..

#37 · (Edited)
Updates...

Cage is almost ready, only a couple of more reiforcements and it will be done.
Grill and fenders are supported. Now I need to fab some kind of shield that will go between the fenders and the cowl (beacause of the stretch).
Shock towers are done. The idea is to run 2.0 12" Fox´s.
Also I redone the engine mounts in order to have the drivetrain more flat. Now it sits much better !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.