Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#81 · (Edited)
News from today...

Hydroboost and brake pedal installed.
Steering column almost done, still need to make the final weld for the support that goes on the cage and and the nut of the quick disco of the steering wheel.
Rock sliders done.....the left side has a cut for the axe :smokin:
Sorry, I did not have the time to make the measures of the frame, next week.

Tub work

Rock Sliders, with axe cut. Also visible are the 4 holes for the axe lower suport.

Got rid of the fender step.....this one turned out pretty sweet...and tougher.

Steering column...

Hydroboost....this was a real tight fit

#85 ·
Update..

Body is painted with primer. Still need to fix a few details but overall is almost ready for the final Olive Drab color.
The steering column is done, just need to bolt everything in place.
At this moment we are working on the hi steer.
The Art Carr shifter showed up today...:smokin:
Also the rear military lights....not the orginal Willys/GPW units, but this were cheap. My idea is to use them as turn lights and instead of the OEM reflectors I`ll use a pair of 4" lead tailights.

Progress pics...

#89 · (Edited)
It is not mounted to the grill.
There are 2 vertical supports that are welded to the frame, and a base support that goes inside the Radiator lower "channel"

Not the best pics, but you can get the idea....I`ll take better shots.

Vertical mount

Lower support at the bottom of the grill

#91 · (Edited)
Not a lot of work last week...

Anyway...rear military tailights holes and mounts are done.
Holes for handels, Jerry can mount etc are all done.
Still waiting for the seats to arrive. A lot of things depend on the final placement of the seats...(lenght of the steering column, shifter location etc....
Bought the shocks yesterday....4 Fox`s 2.0 with ressys :grinpimp:

#95 · (Edited)
Awesome thanks for the reply Savaras. Doing a build almost identical to yours and trying to figure things out on what I need to do, need to move that thread to harcore but have no idea how too???

Jeep looks Badass BTW! :D

EDIT: Hey another question to throw at you, what springs did you use for the front? I need to do the same, because I need an offset pin. I am running YJ springs right now. Let me know. ANOTHER EDIT: Also, did you make those rockers? Or buy them?

#96 ·
Springs are stock Wagoneer fronts.
The sliders are custom made, by my buddy, who is helping me with the build up...
Not to many advances on this days, since I`m in Tahoe on vacations....next week I`ll be back down in Chile.

#97 ·
Very cool, thanks for answering my questions. If your buddys interested in making another set of those rockers at a later date without a step I would be interested in getting some?

I'll stop cluttering your build, looking forward to the finished product!

#98 · (Edited)
update.....

Finally the seats showed up today...they are top notch :smokin:
Defenetly I will cut the rear fender wells to move the seats at list 6"-8" backwards....I´m not a tall guy, but I want to be able to use the complete range on the seat rails.
The rear military lights are mounted.
I´m working on the rear antiwrap bar.

Few pics..

Seats

Testing the seat belts :grinpimp:

Rear military tailghts

Axe placement

I took some old rear CJ tailgates I had, cut the "L" and "S" and inserted on the custom hood.....:smokin: (ok, I know its a LM7, but it belongs to the LS family !! :D)

#99 ·
Update from today...

Seats ansd belts mounts done. Finally I discarded the adjustable rails of the seats because there´s no room to move the seats back/forw.
For the upper seat belt mount, I copied the one that appears at the Billavista Tech section "Driver Restraint System Installation".
Art Carr shifter and twin stick instalation is done.
At this moment, I´m working on the rear anti wrap bar, similar to the one that sells Sam´s Offroad.
Also, we are working on the winch mount.
Jerry can support instaled.
Finally I present a 35" tire in the back, to start thinking on the spare tire carrier.
Probably I will disamble all heep next week, to send the chassis, rollcage and rock sliders to the sandblaster and paint. In parallel, the guy who is doing the body work will be working.....probably finishing by the end of next week :grinpimp:

#102 ·
Update
The Jeep is completely torn apart.
Still working in a few detail on the chassis, mainly reinforcements of the shock towers. By the end of this week I should be able to send it for sandblast and paint.
The body is already painted inside with a 3M product, that it has the same finish of the rhino lining. Everything will go olive drab.

Here a couples of pics I took today, where you can see the front shock towers, the winch mount, radiator support, the anti wrap bar, and the tub...

#106 · (Edited)
Shocks arrived today....it seems I made a bad calculation...they are to long for my aplication (12" and 14"). Since sending them back to the US is NO choice, I will modify the shock towers. on the rear is easy, I just need to cut the fender and have them go through it. Also this will be good to make a side to side bar between the shock hoops. In front is going to be a little more challenge...I still need to think about it, but one solution could be to cut the hood and make new shock hoops through the hood.....:smokin:...I´ll figure out something.
Steeering is almost done, home made hi steer arm is ready to be bolt to the knucle.
Front cross member is done with the 3 holes I was thinking....it came out pretty nice.
The body has the first layer of OD paint.
Here a coouple of pics with the bare frame, so you can che detalis.

#107 ·
Ok....shock towers are redone.
Finally we put de 14" shocks in front and the 12" in the back.
In the rear we just cut the fenders and remade the tabs for larger ones. A cross bar between the towers was added to help support.
In the front we make new towers, wich we passed through the hood. it turned out pretty nice...I really like the cool factor of this new setup. :smokin::D.
A tower to tower bar wil be also added for strenght.

New hoops

Hood holes...the towers are about 2" taller than the hood line...in this pic you can not notice since the front clip is not bolted yet.

Front view

Rear bar between towers...

Rear tower through fender...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.