Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#109 ·
Svaras,

What springs did you end up using? How much of a arc, do they have? What is the steel thickness on the rear bumper, with the hitch?

I almost have my frame rails finished, I have a few more straps to weld. I am also trying to decide on the rear bumper thickness, with a hitch reciever. The rest of my frame is also 2x4x.120".

I also have a set (4) of ford 56" truck springs, but I think they have to much of an arc.

Thanks,
Rodney

#112 ·
Yes, you are right, but believe me that with al the load (cage, spare, fuel tank and cargo) the shacle stays in a better angle (we did the test putting load).
Also these are not the final springs I´ll use, the idea is to run Emu Dakar Yjs.

#114 · (Edited)
OK, so we started ensambling everything together.
Hood and fenders will be paint tomorrow.
After all body parts are in place, a final layer of olive drab will be apply.
YES, the winch will be paint Olive Drab also :smokin:

#118 ·
Thanks for the pics! Did you use a sleeve for the through bolts? If you did use a sleeve for the bolts, did you weld the sleeve's to the frame before you welded the plates? or did you leave the sleeve's free floating?

Thanks

#127 ·
1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build

Olá SVARAS, Parabens pelo trabalho um belo jeep voce está fazendo neste jeep com está grade dianteira que eu acha a mais bonita de todas.
Estou tambem montado um aqui no Brasil e com uma grade dianteira igual a sua com motor V8 318. Logo mais gostaria de saber se posso contar com sua ajuda em algumas medidas

Um Abraço

Rogério BRASIL

#128 ·
How wide are your wheels? They 8" or 10"? Also, how long is your rear driveline going to turn out to be? I'm just getting ready to rebuild my CJ5 with many of the same things as you (waggy axles, spring over, 350 motor, wanted to lengthen the front just a bit and the back a bit, basically just like yours, and was going to use a 4-speed, but would like to use a th350 instead, but wasn't sure about final driveline length). How much is yours stretched in the rear past stock? Looks like 3-4" maybe? And with those 36" iroks, do you get nearly 0* approach with those springs and tire combo? Build looks awsome!

#129 ·
Wheels are Allieds 10".
Rear driveshaft will be close to 2 feet....still need to fab it.

BTW, pics from today....:D:D
Only thing left is to bolt the seats in place....with that, part 1 is done...now onto stage 2....making that 5.3 run :evil:

(At this moment I have a shitty internet conection, so I´m just linking the pics to my website, hope it works, please tell me if you can see it)

#136 ·
Wheels are Allieds 10".
Rear driveshaft will be close to 2 feet....still need to fab it.

BTW, pics from today....:D:D
Only thing left is to bolt the seats in place....with that, part 1 is done...now onto stage 2....making that 5.3 run :evil:

(At this moment I have a shitty internet conection, so I´m just linking the pics to my website, hope it works, please tell me if you can see it)

I love the way this turned out!! Great job!

#133 ·
That is an awesome looking flattie! The axe gives it a unique touch!!!! LISTEN GUYS!!! I cant find the start new thread button as im new to this site and im guessing it won't let me b/c of that so i'm gonna post a for sale ad. 1947 jeep willys flattie for sale...Dana 60's. F/R,front lp..6.17 gears in both,350 tbi motor,painless wiring harness, rebuilt 700r4 mated to a dana 300,tubular chassis,38" military goodyears...more info pm me...please if i'm posting or intruding to this thread then please let me know..Thanks

#138 ·
A little photoshop with the stencils...wich one looks better ??
"22032006" stands for 22 of March of 2006 wich is the birth of my son....and "S.V.F" are his initials "Sebastian Varas Fluxa" :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.