Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#150 ·
Lookin' good!:D What size and type tube did you use for the front shackle bushing through the frame? Did you use a hole saw to drill it out? I am still waiting for my waggy springs to arrive, but I would like to get my mounts made.

#153 ·
OK, now I can say I´m happy with the color...to be honest I did not like the way it was, to shiny...so I asked them to paint it again.......now it looks like a WW2 Jeep :smokin:
Shocks were installed, only thing left is the drag link and to bolt the seats.....for sure next monday will go home...:evil:

#156 ·
Looks much better not glossy. I think military vehicles always do. Came out nice! Love the frame setup you did on that, wish you were closer so I could bum ideas off it. :grinpimp:

#157 ·
That rig is a work of art.

I have a picture request. Can you take a picture straight from the side. Either side. I'd like to really see how it looks with the cowl/hood stretch. I've been considering the same approach on a future project of mine.

Thanks

#166 ·
#167 · (Edited)
Well, it has been a good week.
I had been working in different things.
Brakes: I decide to bought all the brake lines, fittings, etc, of a wrecked 2001 Cherokee. It was cheap and easy to work. Actually the rear end line was a perfect fit, only thing needed was to give it the shape I want. Also I bought extended steel braided lines, wich are on the way from the US with a bunch of other stuff.
Secondly was to solve the clerance problems of the TB/water pump neck and TB/alternator mount. I just cutted the alt mount, so an idler pulley relocation bracket will need to replace the stock mount. In the other side, I cutted the neck of the WP and I´ll weld it in a different angle.
Also I connected the Art Car shifter.
Finally gave a good bath to "him", in order to clean up all the dirt it collected after 9 months at the shop.

#171 ·
I had beeing working in my house...so far:
- Fuel Line: Ready
- Brake lines: Ready, only thing left is to install the new extended braided lines wich arrived today.
- TB / Water pump neck interference. Solved
- Hydroboost / Steering lines: Almost ready, still need to lenght one line
- Transmission cooler lines and radiator: Fabbed and Installed

A few things that showed up today....gauges, flexplate spacer, braided brake lines, universal wiring harness.

#173 · (Edited)
Nothing yet.
Still waiting the engine harness to arrive and a few other things...., like mufflers.
Also I forgot to tell to the guy from which I bought the harness, that I have Corvette injectors, so I need to change all 8 conectors :shaking:
In the meantime, I finished the hydroboost lines...

#175 · (Edited)
Just got back from one week of vacations...now back to work on the Willys..
Everything needed for the start up of the engine arrived from the US.
This week I´ll connect the engine wiring harness and pcm.
A few shots from today......

BLIN BLING !!!!!!:D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.