Pirate 4x4 banner

1942 Willys MB, Gen III Build.

538K views 581 replies 172 participants last post by  SVARAS 
#1 · (Edited)
1942 Willys MB, Gen IV Build.

Well, now that I have more things done, I´ll start this thread about my Flatfender build.
First off, I don´t know if it qualifies as a ”Hardcore project”, so moderators, feel free to move it to Non Hardcore if you fill that way.
The basic idea is to build an MB with a Gen III engine and 36” tires.
First big problem was to find an MB down here in Chile. It´s difficult to get a good CJ, you can imagine what could be to find a military Jeep.
After searching and searching for one, finally I gave up, and bought a CJ2A.
So the plan was to militarize the 2A. For that, I found a nice MB grille at ebay. Also military accesories were bought at ebay.
But well, as soon I started disambling the 2A, I realized it was a dead proyect. The body was so rusted that it would involve some heavy body work to get it back.
In the middle of a new search for another flatty, I received the call I was waiting…” Hey, I heard someone, somewhere has an MB….some parts are missed but at list it´s an MB body !”
In no time I decide to take my Waggy and the ATV trailer (yes !...only trailer I have close in that moment) and headed south of Santiago (Chile´s capital) to pick up the jeepe.
So here we are, with an MB tub that needs a lot of work, but hey who cares…is an MB.

Specs are:

1942 Willys MB…military look !
2002 LM7 (Vortec 5.3) with LS1 intake and LS6 cam.
TH350
Dana 300
Waggy Dana 44´s ARB´s F&R.
Iroks 36”
Allieds

The CJ2A that I bought….

Then the day I picked up the MB

The REAL OWNER of this Jeep...my son....

See less See more
#176 ·
What t-case did you use that allowed for the offset rear output and the ability to clock it? I thought all D-18's were texas style? I have been kicking around the idea of throwing a waggy rear end on mine instead of the scout rear, then I would get disk brakes too.

#187 · (Edited)
An update...

I took the jeep to my mechanic in order to work on the last bugs...
After thinking and thinking, I took the decision on using a Taurus fan instead of the oem fan/fan clutch system. This was mainly beacause of the space I have for the intake elbow. With the LS1 intake sitting lower, you just have like 3" from the TB to the fan. If you think that the TB has 4" of diameter, its no easy to turn in 90 degress in 3" space !!!.
So, the solution was to go with the Taurus fan, and the Cobra 4" elbow.

Fuel system

Since the stock Vortec fuel pump is not working, I decide to go with an inline pump. I bought the E8248.

Another issue....returnless fuel system. My LS1 fuel rails comes only with the feeder line, no return. I bought a Corvette fuel filter/regulator that comes with the return. That should solve the problem...am I right ??

Finally, a pic of the baby being towed by my truck....:D

#189 ·
An update...

Fuel system

Since the stock Vortec fuel pump is not working, I decide to go with an inline pump. I bought the E8248.
Another issue....returnless fuel system. My LS1 fuel rails comes only with the feeder line, no return. I bought a Corvette fuel filter/regulator that comes with the return. That should solve the problem...am I right ??
Corvette filter does the trick.....what about the vortec pump didn't work for you...I'm using a stock 02 Silverado intank setup, just mod'ed the top of my tank for it, much quieter that an external.

#190 ·
Not a lot of progess since I was waiting a few things to arrive from the US.
Last friday the first parts showed up, so this week I should be able to continue working on the Flatty.
However, I worked on the driveshafts. For the front I used a XJ driveshaft, wich I changed the tube. Beacause of clearence issues with the TH350 pan, the maximun diameter was 1,25". For the rear, I went with a 2004 Toyota Hilux 45 degrees CV driveshaft. The total lenght was 17" :eek:, so the splines were welded direct to the CV...there´s no tube now :D. This made me convert the D44 / D300 yokes to flange style. I´ll post pics tomorrow.
I did not go with the truck pump, beacause it was no working.

#199 ·
Awesome Flatty dude!!! I have to admit that it is definitely one of the best ones I have seen!

Heres a shot of mine:

I am running a built TBI 4.3 (roughly 300HP), NP435 4 SP, Dana 18, and 44s front and rear with 4.88 gears. Tires are 38x12.50x15 TSLs mounted on a set of my own custom bead lock wheels.

#200 · (Edited)
I am running a built TBI 4.3 (roughly 300HP), NP435 4 SP, Dana 18, and 44s front and rear with 4.88 gears. Tires are 38x12.50x15 TSLs mounted on a set of my own custom bead lock wheels.
Thanks man, you also have a really nice Flatty !

The 38´s look great...what´s your WB ??

#205 ·
California...because of my work, I travel a lot to LA.
Defenetly I want to go to the Rubicon and the Hammers.....I have been in both places driving a rental Jeep..., now is time to wheel in MY rig :smokin:

#208 · (Edited)
update....

Custom fuel tank is done (24 gallons); still need to paint it olive drab.
Led tailights installed
custom batery tray finished...
At this moment we are workimg on the admision piping....not easy with the limited space..., I´ll load pics then, but in order to use the 4" elbows and tube, I was forct to modifiy the shock tower.

#209 ·
update....

Custom fuel tank is done (24 gallons); still need to paint it olive drab.
Led tailights installed
custom batery tray finished...
At this moment we are workimg on the admision piping....not easy with the limited space..., I´ll load pics after, but in order to use the 4" elbows and tube, I was forced to modifiy the shock tower.

#214 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, yes, we are ok.
Nobody was hurt, at list the people I know.
A lot of damage, buildings, highways etc...the sad part is the people that got killed, up to know 147 deads, but that number will increase for sure. The other big problem is the people that lost their houses, 1,5 Millions seems to have some kind of damage and other 500.000 houses have severe problems, mostly old constructions.
Again, thanks for the interest, I had receive a lot of emails from people I know in the States, as always, US people really take care of others ;)

#215 ·
Glad to hear your ok, prayers go to all those families.

Awesome build! I just read the whole thread. I work with a chilean spec ops guy thats on an exchange program here and its possible I come their for a while...not sure where but I will look you up if it happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.