hydro assist? for s10 box - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 141981
Send a message via ICQ to 1946CJ2
hydro assist? for s10 box

I have a 1997 s10 4x4 steeering box, that I am putting on my 1948 willys. Can I drill this for hydro assist steering, just like the full size saginaw boxes? I found some posts where s10 boxes where drilled and tapped on the front and top caps. I have heard this can cause the caps to crack. I think drilling into the side of the box may be better, like in the tech section. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...Tap/index.html

Below is a picture of my steering box. It looks pretty close to the one the tech page, I just do not want to screw my box up! Also are all gm pitman arms the same spline? I am thinking of running a heim joint off the pitman arm, to my high steer arm.

1946CJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 147891
yes you can drill that box dont drill the caps drill out the casting this is pix of your box and ware to drill it.the the top port you can drill all the way in to it after you yake it apart and the lower port drill tell you hit the vain red line in pix . the box is not to hard to take apart it just take time to get the balls back in

gm pitman arms are not all the same spline i know the jeep pit man arms fit the s10 box

Last edited by mog-10; 01-04-2010 at 03:02 PM.
mog-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 141981
if anyone else finds my thread and is lookin for more info, I will post these links:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6829240/Sa...Rebuild-How-To

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/tech/...nawrebuild.htm

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/tech/...cRamAssist.htm

Last edited by 1946CJ2; 01-05-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 141981
If all my seals are currently good and due not leak, Can I pull it apart and put it back together without replacing all the seals?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 147891
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1946CJ2 View Post
If all my seals are currently good and due not leak, Can I pull it apart and put it back together without replacing all the seals?

i did on my s10 box just be careful not to tare the seals when you put the pistion back back in the box you cant just buy one pistion seal you have to buy the whole rebuild kit. well at least thats what i found out i could be wrong.
mog-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 115122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mog-10 View Post

gm pitman arms are not all the same spline i know the jeep pit man arms fit the s10 box
Yes i have a TJ arm on my s10. Its like a 1" drop. Ive read XJs are a 2" but have never held one.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 141981
Well, I drilled my box today! I started to take it all apart, but I changed my mind at the last minute. I thought of a way I could do it and keep the metal shavings out of my steering box.

Here is what I did, I started with the top hole and used a grinder to make the surface smooth and flat. I then marked and center punched my hole. I used a 3/16" bit, for a pilot hole in the drill press. As I was drilling the hole, I used an air nozzle to blow away the shavings. when I thought I was getting close to the hole punching through, I held the air nozzle to where the power steering line connects. As soon as the drill bit went through, I had positive pressure blowing out the hole (recomend saftey glasses). I then took a 7/16" bit and ground/sharpened it to where it had a pretty flat angle. As I drilled the 7/16" hole, I used the air nozzle to create a positive pressure in the box. I had a very good flow of air and a small amount of fluid coming out through the hole while drilling. this is where I decided to put the saftey glasses on. The metal shaving where flying up and away. Once the 7/16" hole was drilled, I used a magnet in the hole, however, it came out clean with no metal shavings. I was very happy. I then drilled the lower hole the same way as the top, and made sure to keep the first hole covered, with a magnet. Once the holes where drilled, I used grease on the 1/4" pipe tap and positive air pressure in the box. This appeared to work great, but only time will tell, Once I get done building my willys.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 75473
really, well if you put grease in the drill dimple, then all the shavings would stick in the grease and you would not have to worry about blowing anything