Flatty Build - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 104710
food for thought..... if the hot air that exits the radiator goes down and gets caught in a low pressure area and drawn back in the front of the radiator than its allready hot and cant cool??? i have seen this on a couple of cars. the pontiac fiero will overheat just sitting there idling if the front lower spoiler is gone. (its just a 2.5" piece of plastic straight down along the length of the lower radiator to keep the air from coming around back to the front of the radiator inlet)
hummertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 147608
If you are still running that blue/aluminum flex fan that was on this engine in the build up pics? I'd start there. Like you I have parts that seem to make their rounds from one rig to the next and one of those parts was a fan just like that. Every rig I ever put it on, would get hot! I finally pitched it and I've been running steel fans from flexalite. They make several diameters and blade counts. Cured my airflow problems for good! Nice build btw!
Throttle Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 104710
i dont have a build thread but hear are some pics of the rear suspension i put together. real simple, upper arms 70% as long as the lower. upper close to level at ride height. upper at 40 deg to each other. currie joints, 2" 7075 aluminum arms. tj rear coils. 12" 1550 bilstein shocks. it works great, drives good at 55, and wont change lanes when you gas it.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 104710
hear is the tj rear spring, the first ones were front tj springs and they keep streching out.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 141743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey View Post
If you are still running that blue/aluminum flex fan that was on this engine in the build up pics? I'd start there. Like you I have parts that seem to make their rounds from one rig to the next and one of those parts was a fan just like that. Every rig I ever put it on, would get hot! I finally pitched it and I've been running steel fans from flexalite. They make several diameters and blade counts. Cured my airflow problems for good! Nice build btw!
I am running that blue fan still...Good call on the steelie fan. That's an easy cheap change. Hopefully i can find a fixed pitch steel fan in 16" dia.

Couple things coming up that i'll update soon. 5:13's and spool showed up last night. Got them for CCOR here on Pirate. Great pricing and good people, definitely recommend them. Nothing special about regearing 44's but I'll throw a few pics up anyway cuz i can...

Also going to be ditching the aluminum cage and building a 2" dia steel cage. DOM/HREW combo...I was in a pretty bad car accident a few weeks ago and had we not been wearing seatbelts it would have turned out bad. Safety all the sudden became a bigger priority to me. Don't think I could live with myself if the wife or someone were hurt becasue I was a cheap ass so, not going to risk the aluminum cage anymore. Got a pretty sweet design (I think) so I'll throw that stuff up too.

Here's a pic of what's left of my daily driver...on the bright side it has a TBI350 in it...hmmm.

Flatty Build [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868450[/url]
2a_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 104710
that truck is fawlked!!! hop u are going to b ok. looks like lots of great swap parts.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 87840
Send a message via AIM to redeagleOR
Nice MB. Just picked up a 47 2a with a SBC 350 already in it. You wouldn't by chance have the part number of the radiator you're using? Keep up the hard work!
redeagleOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 156230
Ever fix the overheating issue? I had a '67 CJ-5 with a 225 Buick v-6 in it, and I did some motor work, and put a brand new 3-core radiator in it and a 16-inch flex fan. My first trip out, the thing was an over heating son of a bitch. I went out two more times and it still overheated. It would go to 235 in short order on any kind of hill, and it was also undergeared, like yours kind of is. I ended up putting two bottles of water wetter in mine, ran an overflow bottle (which obviously doesn't really help with keeping it cool), I switched my thermostat out for a 180* thermostat (even though I'm pretty sure my 190* one worked just fine, as did the 160* one before that, I changed it anyway), and I built a fan shroud for the radiator. the shroud was made out of sheet metal, extended out and completely covered the fan blades (but didn't protrude past them at all), and it was built like a box so the fan could pull air from over the entire radiator surface. Basically, it looked kind of similar to a box stuck to the backside of the radiator, with a hole cut out where the fan was. It wasn't the sexiest ever, but after I put the water wetter in the radiator (which you already did), changed the thermostat, and made that radiator shroud, I was never able to get my rig over 182* with my 180* thermostat, so I think the key is getting the fan shroud built correctly, and it should help out a lot. Good Luck, Jeep looks sweet!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 141743
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagleOR View Post
Nice MB. Just picked up a 47 2a with a SBC 350 already in it. You wouldn't by chance have the part number of the radiator you're using? Keep up the hard work!
It is a Griffin 1-25182-T, which has a tranny cooler in it. Without a tranny cooler it is a 1-25182-X Got it from Summit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
Ever fix the overheating issue? I had a '67 CJ-5 with a 225 Buick v-6 in it, and I did some motor work, and put a brand new 3-core radiator in it and a 16-inch flex fan. My first trip out, the thing was an over heating son of a bitch. I went out two more times and it still overheated. It would go to 235 in short order on any kind of hill, and it was also undergeared, like yours kind of is. I ended up putting two bottles of water wetter in mine, ran an overflow bottle (which obviously doesn't really help with keeping it cool), I switched my thermostat out for a 180* thermostat (even though I'm pretty sure my 190* one worked just fine, as did the 160* one before that, I changed it anyway), and I built a fan shroud for the radiator. the shroud was made out of sheet metal, extended out and completely covered the fan blades (but didn't protrude past them at all), and it was built like a box so the fan could pull air from over the entire radiator surface. Basically, it looked kind of similar to a box stuck to the backside of the radiator, with a hole cut out where the fan was. It wasn't the sexiest ever, but after I put the water wetter in the radiator (which you already did), changed the thermostat, and made that radiator shroud, I was never able to get my rig over 182* with my 180* thermostat, so I think the key is getting the fan shroud built correctly, and it should help out a lot. Good Luck, Jeep looks sweet!
Thanks for the advice..sounds like everything i did except the 2nd bottle of water wetter. I assume you don't have an auto trans like i do? THink that is my issue because I can't make it overheat unless i am really working the trans. I've regeared it and have a trip planned in a couple weeks. Hopefully that helps. If it doesn't I'll put an external tranny cooler on it then my setup will be identical to yours. Sounds like that will for sure fix it from your experience.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 141743
regear

Getting warm so got motivated to work on the Willy's. Regeared the diffs from 3.73 to 5.13. Also added a spool to the rear and ditched the trac-lok limited slip. The front has a Spartan lunchbox so I went with the thick gears to keep my 3 series carrier. Dana 44s are actually really simple, setup is all shims. Set the pinion depth with shims behind the inner pinion bearing race and set the backlash with shims between the carrier bearings and the carrier. Pinion preload is set by shims between the outer pinion bearing and pinion shaft. No stupid crush sleve. You don't have to buy any special tools other than a dial indicator (for backlash check) and a torque wrench. For setup, press off your old carrier bearings and make them so that they slip onto the carrier. Use them for setting backlash. I don't have a press, but a local mechanic did it for $20 and I rented a brake cylinder hone from O'Rieleys to make them slip onto the carrier. Now I have setup bearings for next time. Just be sure to have the same brand bearings for the setup and the new bearings you are running, otherwise you'll have to make sure they are the same thickness. If they are not, just compensate with shims. Also, I found it easier to set the pinion preload first and then as I added/removed shims to set the pinion depth, do the same to the shims for preload. Here are some pics.

Front 3 series carrier with 5.13 thick ring gear and Spartan locker.

Rear Spool with standard thickness 5.13 ring

Notice the difference in the ring gear thickness! Had no idea it would be that thick. Here's my home made press...2lb BFH, piece of roll cage tubing and an old pitman arm. worked really well actually.

Took it out for its maden voyage with the new gears and spool this morning. I must be getting better at the gear setup because this time they are very quiet and smooth. Spool is interesting, tore up the yard turning and it squals around corners on pavement. Guess its not suppose to be on pavement anyway...right?

Couple projects coming up are DOM cage and new engine. The 305 is sick. It smokes and has some serious blow by. The truck i totaled had a TBI 350. I've driven this truck since it had 10,000 miles on it, so I know it's history very well. Pulls hard and doesn't burn any oil. Motor should be a quick swap. Sure was a bitch to get out of the mangled donor though. Miss the old truck, at least parts of it will live on. It'll make a nice trailer too. Always wanted a truck bed trailer.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 141743
Cage

Worked on the Willys this weekend and made a good dent in the new cage. I don't have a bender so ordered a basic CJ-2a family cage kit from www.extremecustomparts.com. Great guys, had them make some modifications to their standard kit and they did it without a problem. The cage is 2" HREW, 1/8" wall and I picked up a stick of 1.75" HREW for gussets, dash bar, seatbelt bar, etc...

This is what happens when you decide to take your gloves off and run a grinder with one hand while holding the tube in the other...dumb ass.

Almost done, have a few more tubes to tack in with my little 110 MIG. Then off to a buddies house to use his TIG to make pretty welds.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 170964
great build thread ! , thanks
Grim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #113 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 121782
was flippin though your thread enjoying the photos untill i saw the ledges at Tuttle. its a small world. i missed the krawl this year but ill be there next year
93ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 171057
nice! i really like that cage!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 141743
more cage

Cage is done! Just needs paint.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #116 (permalink)
F=ma

Member # 23259
That cage looks like a pretty good kit. It ought to be a lot stronger than the aluminum one you were running. Nice work!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 141743
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc86 View Post
That cage looks like a pretty good kit. It ought to be a lot stronger than the aluminum one you were running. Nice work!
Thanks! Doesn't look much like the kit now that it is done. Made some pretty major changes to their design.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 141743
Winch

Look what showed up today... Got a weekend project.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #119 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103746
Those pics from Colorado are awesome! thanks for posting those. That cage really turned out great. Did you find that missing part of your thumb? HA

Here : /forum/jeep-willys/975300-my-junk-goldie-lox.html
superdooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 141743
more winch

Got the winch installed this weekend. it's a Superwinch LP10000, 10,000 lb and got it on Amazon with free "super saver shipping" ...gigidy.

Winch plate was actually a b!tch to make. Don't know why cuz it is pretty simple. Probably had more to do with being 100 degrees in the shop this weekend. Lot of structure underneath the plate you can't see, was going for a clean look and wanted it to be removable to access the steering box etc... Also welded on a clevis lug. Need to add one to the other side if I have time. Dragging it to Colorado via a stop in South Dakota for a few days wheelin in the Black Hills. That's in 10 days and have a few piddly things to finish up before i leave, another lug is low on the list. Here are some pictures of weekend progress installing the winch.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 141743
Overheating Fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummertech View Post
food for thought..... if the hot air that exits the radiator goes down and gets caught in a low pressure area and drawn back in the front of the radiator than its allready hot and cant cool??? i have seen this on a couple of cars. the pontiac fiero will overheat just sitting there idling if the front lower spoiler is gone. (its just a 2.5" piece of plastic straight down along the length of the lower radiator to keep the air from coming around back to the front of the radiator inlet)
Well this guy nailed it, except over the top of the radiator instead of under. Turns out that my overheating problem was mostly what he said. There is (was) a 6 inch gap between the radiator and grill. The fan was pulling through the radiator, hitting the hood and unless moving forward fast enough would blow down in front of the radiator where it was pulled back through the radiator. So I made a filler panel. Not the prettiest thing i've ever made but it works.

That alone probably would have been enough but I already changed out the flex fan for a solid steel fan and added an external tranny cooler before I discovered this. Definitely good to go now. Tranny cooler will help the life of the transmission anyway, so not a waste.

Just got back from a 9 day wheelin trip. As soon as i get all the 1200 pictures and videos organized i'll post some up.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 141743
Trip report SD 1st day

Alright, got a bunch of pics uploaded so i'll get started. Between 4 cameras and a camcorder I have lots of stuff so I'll take a few days to post it all up. Hopefully some have been to these places or inspires you to check them out...awesome trails.

Loaded up the Duramax and headed north to meet some buddies in the South Dakota Black Hills. Interesting mix of rigs, My Willys, a buddies 80 CJ5 built sorta similar to mine, a bone stock TJ and almost stock JK Rubicon. Wheeled in SD for a couple days then headed to Colorado. This was my 2300 mile round trip.

Pics below are the Black Hills of SD. These are of the first day on a trail called Ice Man. Took about 8 hours with the Willys, CJ5 and JK. TJ hadn't shown up yet.

CJ5

JK

Here's more pics of the Willys

This was called the "Little Squeeze". Didn't try the "Big Squeeze" since it was the first day and I had 8 more days to go...didn't want to break it already.

Couple observations by this point. Rear spool...awesome. Auto trans...awesome. Both good decisions. Still wants to over heat a little though . Granted it was 90+ degrees but shait! Ran 210ish all day. These will be the last pictures of the Willys with the fenders. Took them off for the next day and had no overheating problems for the rest of the trip. Guess it couldn't get the heat out of the engine bay. Could have fried an egg on the hood the first day.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 141743
trip report SD 2nd Day

Day 2...Camp 5 road. Took us a while to get here since we took trail roads all the way. Also started raining later in the day so we didn't spend a lot of time here. Camp 5 road a moderate road that weaves back and forth through a rocky dry creek. Little more than a stock SUV could handle. The best part of this trail is the option to get off the trail and play in the rocks. Wish we would have had more times to run down the creek. The pic below is the only time we got off the main trail. Notice no more fenders on the Willys.

The first time I got to use my winch was to pull a high centered JK Rubicon off a rock.

More updates coming...4 more days of wheelin to go.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 142000
Dang... that CJ5 looks like a mean machine, although maybe im just biassed!
millertime_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 141743
Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime_r6 View Post
Dang... that CJ5 looks like a mean machine, although maybe im just biassed!
Ya...is a mean looking machine. Since its yours...probably does bias your opinion.