Got my Uncle's CJ3B - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
Got my Uncle's CJ3B

My Uncle died back in 2003. He was my dad's twin brother. This Jeep has been in the family for a long time, in one form or another. I have a picture of a very early version of it when I was a teenager(I think).

My brother just had a kid and his wife said get rid of some projects. One of them he had mentioned he was going to sell was this 3B. My wife stepped up and said we would buy it and keep it in the family. My brother said never mind, he'd give it to us.

So they brought it down this week and I picked it up LATE last night.

Plan for now is to swap in the better axles, and trans from my CJ5 and build it as a nice little 3B for my boy to drive when he turns 16. My 5 will be sold or turned into a buggy, depending on what is left.

Specs, as I know them:

T15
18 T-case
Overdrive
Axles unknown, front is closed knuckle rear is two piece. Front has lock rite.
YJ springs

Here is a pic from a LONG time ago
TheTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294

Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 139371
looks good man, wish my '51 2a project started off as clean as that one haha
dStuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
Quote:
Originally Posted by dStuck View Post
looks good man, wish my '51 2a project started off as clean as that one haha
My Uncle put a LOT of work into it before he died.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
No Gates in ENF!

Member # 6867
My own Flatty was my grandfathers.. Good for you on keeping it in the family.

I have used a lot of self-control to keep from making mine into a hardcore rig.. which would not leave much of the original Jeep intact.. I've kept the mods fairly simple and try to keep her true to the original concept. It's currently mothballed as a future project for my boys.. Needs fuel and a battery to run, but oil leaks have kept her off the trail for several years now.

A pic of the wife driving it ..she doesn't actually like to drive the old Jeep, but can .. see the scowl on her face.. she's pissed
Attached Images

urjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 65100
Send a message via Yahoo to rustywagoneersdotcom
Completely awesome.

Let me know if you want a pair of offset D44's in the future....
Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
I checked out the title, and it is a '54. Unfortunately it has not been registered since 2005, and my brother never transfered it to Oregon when he moved.

Not looking forward to what THAT will cost me.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
And I am seriously tempted to keep the 3B for myself and put the 5 back together for the boy. The 3B has a LOT more sentimental value, and I would be more upset if he fawks it up.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
vayacondios

Member # 87698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonka View Post
And I am seriously tempted to keep the 3B for myself and put the 5 back together for the boy. The 3B has a LOT more sentimental value, and I would be more upset if he fawks it up.
there ya go.

fasten your seat belt, it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your rig
----

NRA LIFE MEMBER

----
beefdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefdawg View Post
there ya go.
Besides, if I build up the 5 to be really capable it gives me an easier argument to the wife that I need a buggy ..... so we can keep up with her son.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
HOG JOCKEY

Member # 54114
cj3b's are cool!! bought mine 15 years ago. has been stretched 12 inches. i made a street/ sand jeep out of it. put a dana 30 in front, dana 44 postal in the rear, detroits in both. aluminum headed 428 ford w/built c6.built the dash and completely rewired with a painless kit. real sleeper on the streets........until i rost the tires in all three gears. LOL really fun to blaze the sand dunes with. good luck with your project!
Attached Images

herbycj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywagoneersdotcom View Post
Completely awesome.

Let me know if you want a pair of offset D44's in the future....
Bringing this back up, I just might. I'd love to put front 44s under both the 5 and the 3B. The 5 has a single piece axle in the rear and should be good for the boy to drive around. A 44 in front and maybe a 8.8 or 9 in the rear would be killer in the 3B.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
Well I got to play around with the 3B a bit. I still need to wash it.

The trans is shot. The clutch and brake linkage is the stock thru floor, so that has to go. The t-case and overdrive shift smooth. Both axles have leaks and the rear does not turn smooth, may have some broken gears.

The interior is a mess and the wiring is frightening. I will definitely be going through and replacing all the wiring and gauges. The cage is solid but not mounted very well.

The good thing is the suspension is well laid out. I would like to see a bit more length in the drivetrain, the shock mounts are not set up right, and the front driveshaft doesn't look to be the right length.

My brother threw in a spare trans, that is supposed to be new. I'm thinking an automatic would be nicer, and with the overdrive I wouldn't need a 4 speed so a TH350 should be plenty. Just gotta find a BOP TH350(not sure if the ones Summit sells are the right ones ). At that point I start thinking about dropping a 4.3 in it too. EFI would be really nice. This will depend on how healthy the Dauntless is. My brother says it was recently rebuilt, and if he did the rebuild it will last and be strong.

Instead of rebuilding the axles I will either take the axles from the 5 or get a new set. If I go new I start seriously thinking about stretching the wheelbase up front.

So a typical old Jeep. The good news is there isn't too much work to do and the paint and is really nice. The most concerning news is that it has not been registered in California since 2005 when my brother moved to Oregon. That's gonna hurt.

Lots of potential, not a high priority. I will be taking some time, especially since I have toy hauler work to do, beer to brew, and hand surgery in a month. I do need to find out how much the registration is going to hurt.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103746
If mine would have already had a Buick swapped in, I would have left it. I ended up shoving a 4.3 with CPI into mine. The Buick motor makes a ton of torque for a 6. A th350 is a good choice as well. Damn near bulletproof combo.

Here : /forum/jeep-willys/975300-my-junk-goldie-lox.html
superdooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 162643
You got a good wife, offering to buy Jeeps. I would fix it but not too wild and keep it out of a 16 year old hands unless you are riding shotgun. Let him have the non sentimental rig for his first car.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
So the question I have is where can I get a th350 that will bolt between the 225 and the tcase?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103746
um, they're all over Craigslist... Front bell (BOP) is different, they are all the same out the rear.

Here : http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=975300
superdooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdooty View Post
um, they're all over Craigslist... Front bell (BOP) is different, they are all the same out the rear.
Haven't checked craigslist. Good idea. Summit list som BOP th350s. Would be nice to get a new one.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 111714
I'm almost positive that after seven years of not being registered, the dmv files are deleted, and you can re-register a vehicle for a very small fee (just need the signed pinkslip from the p.o.). Looks like you are just one year short, but just thought I'd throw that out there. Nice 3B btw, I used to think the high-hoods were ugly, but they've grown on me
Tyler C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
So if my intent is keeping this guy set up for mild wheeling with good street manners what would be some good axles that will give me strength and reliability without going real wide?

I'm thinking a 44 front and either 44 rear or a 8.8.

Any thoughts? It's been a while since I built anything, and the last thing I built('52 Willy pickup) had 1 ton drivetrain. This tiny shit is new to me.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 171057
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonka View Post
I'm thinking a 44 front and either 44 rear or a 8.8.
with similar aspirations, i'm thinking waggy d44's for mine. i'm not personally sure what the difference in widths is, but i do hope they are just a couple of inches wider. up to 4" i would be thrilled about.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 65100
Send a message via Yahoo to rustywagoneersdotcom
Waggy D44's from a quadratrac rig are both offset to the passenger side and match the old D18 very nicely.

WMS is about 61.5" IIRC.

I would run them as-is (well, apart from moving rear spring perches) if you didn't mind outboarding front springs to the 31-ish center pin distance. If you want to keep the narrow spring width, I would narrow the long side of both waggy axles by the amount of difference between the spring center distances.

My only request is to not kill a good waggy just for the axles. I have plenty of them out, and if you get a good deal on the neighbors old wagoneer, I will trade you and make sure you don't wind up out any money.

(this goes for anyone wanting to put waggy axles under pretty much anything)