Showing off my Willys - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 26465
When you get ready for new springs, assuming you want to remain mostly stock, I highly recommend the Rancho 1" replacement springs. They are made with much more modern steel and have only 6 leafs (as opposed to the stock what 9...10?). It's still not a Cadillac but rides and flexes much better than the stock packs.

Definitely do the Saginaw conversion, and if you can, fuel injection. There is simply no comparison to the drive-ability difference those two changes can make.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 157541
never was a big jeep fan, but old willys are badass. keep up the good work
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 171057
Okay, have not had much to report on Willy's progress lately, other than the fact that she's doing well and gets driven a couple times a week.

Getting settled into the new house has been a chore, especially when it comes to getting some jeep progress done. The biggest hurdle was getting the garage figured out and hooked up so some work could finally get done, and the biggest hurdle in that project was having to upgrade our electrical service.

so, without further ramblings....

Wilma's all settled into her new spot, it will be nice having this much room on her half of the garage, and i'm even more stocked about the separate workshop space.

So then we had to get a new meter panel on the exterior, nice to have 18 expansion circuits outside. I got myself a hand me down 7.5hp compressor on the way from my uncle, it will get plugged into this and stored outside.

and then WOOOO HOOOO!! a 50amp circuit labeled welder. thank freekin god! of course, spending almost 2g's on an electrical upgrade pretty much hosed the money i'd set aside to buy myself a welder. Thank god for good friends, my buddy nick is basicly done with his jeep and his miller 252 has been collecting dust.

so, with that said, here in the next week or so i'll have the metal gluer hooked up, and this winters willy's progress begins.

first order of business, i believe will be a swap to some YJ springs.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 171057
getting started!

got the front dissembled, then its on to fixing up and plating the front frame horns and finishing the bumper.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 429
Looking forward to the build.

Jack
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 51899
Good stuff !
Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 171057
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrwln View Post
Looking forward to the build.
I can't promise that this will be the most ground breaking build on pirate, but we plan to have a good time with it!

very happy to say we now have the ability to glue metal!!

now onto fixing the front of the frame... then i need to scrounge up some new springs!

Amber had fun giving it a try!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 171057
I need to take some more photos and do a better update, but i've been chugging away daily.

Mostly working on the front frame horns. I'm pretty sure this thing had been in a minor front accident at one time, as the bumper it came with pretty jacked up, and so is the first 10" or so of the frame. The PO must have had limited access to a stick welder, and not much skill with it, he just goobered it all up to keep it together.

Its been a challenge working on this old rusty, painted 8 times and welded (poorly) 3 times metal, but its coming together. no matter how many times i grind it, its about impossible to get all the crap off. I've resorted to plating the inside, wrapping the top 2", front and bottom 8", with multiple weld passes and grinding it all smooth. that should be done this afternoon.

Also, this afternoon i'm going to go pick up a box full of TJ manual steering parts. I'd rather do power steering, but i can't argue with the price and i'm going to try and fabricate everything that will allow me to upgrade to power at a later time. right now, obviously the biggest priority is to just get rid of the Ross stuff.

Also finished welding up my front bumper, being brand new to MIG welding, i was pretty happy with the result.

Last edited by euroford; 11-30-2011 at 07:40 AM.
euroford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 171057
frame rails fixed, ross steering removed, mocking up YJ steering, tacked on front bumper.

i managed to cut the gear off the end of the steering column and adapt the yj shaft really easily. i was nervous about that, but it ended up being a piece of cake.

busy trying to get the hang of the plasma cutter right now, i need to go make a steel run as i'm aboot out right now and my last little scraps are just getting shredded as practice pieces.

but not today, its time to head up to A Basin and get some turns in.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 52989
I really like seeing you make progress on your jeep. Maybe it's just because at first glance it looks so familiar, it seems as if someone were working on mine.

I have read conflicting information on the saginaw boxes, some say the manual and power boxes share the same bolt pattern and others say they don't. If you get a chance, would you be able to check and see if your box roughly matches up with the PS pattern shown here:

http://www.earlycj5.com/wordpress/wp...aw-Parts-2.pdf

Or, as measured from outside to outside of (installed 7/16" bolts) from Mieser:

Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 171057
I'll take some measurements next time i'm in the garage. but this is a three bolt manual box for the YJ, not sure if this is different from the box's people typically take off of older chevy cars and whatnot. i'm guessing it will be different, but will check.

but anyways, thanks for the comments!

i plan to just get some tube for the bolts, and weld them in wherever they want to fit, so i wasn't planning on needing a precise bolt pattern. i take it you instead plan to make a mounting plate for it.

Last edited by euroford; 12-05-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 52989
I was thinking that if I decide to do the swap, I'd probably add a plate and tube/inserts, sorta like the AA kit. I'd like to just do a manual box (for simplicity) but if I take the trouble to do this, I'd like to know that adding a PS box down the road wouldn't be a major rework. I still haven't made up my mind to do this or not. Just watching for now.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if your box bolts up to three of the holes in a 4 bolt pattern, but it'd be nice to know.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Hey nice build and I know marrying a woman who likes 4X4's and Jeeps can be fun for sure!

Glad to see old American metal being saved!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 171057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbrecht42 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if your box bolts up to three of the holes in a 4 bolt pattern, but it'd be nice to know.
and they do. i picked up this steering box as part of a whole box full of parts, included in there were two different cast YJ brackets, one for the manual and one for the power steering, and yes, three out of four wholes line up.

i'm of the same mind as you, upgrading now to manual steering i see as a low cost, low complexity task which will make a massive upgrade in driveability, reliability and comfort. I roughly intend to gather PS parts over the summer and maybe upgrade to PS next winter.

but... it is not my intention to go too far with this particular willy's. after the suspension and steering upgrades, i'm going to have a pretty darn nice stockish willys and we might just call it done, put it into circulation as one of the family's cars, and move on to the next project. a side-goal of working on this willy's is that through the process of upgrading it, we are getting our garage to the point that we can take on a larger project.

oh, so progress: its freeking COLD! adding a wood stove onto the garage is on the list to be done next summer, so yesterday i only managed a couple of short stints out there before my fingers were too numb to use.

front bumper is now fully burned on. i tried really really hard to make the welds perfect, but it had me in some weird positions so i definitely goofed up a couple of times. however, each side has about 25 lineal inches of weld, is even half of it is good, its freekin good, and well, way more than half of it is good....

i also spent some quality time practicing with the plasma cutter, and i think i'm now good enough with it to use it for making parts.

plan to head to the steel yard today. i'm at a standstill until i get more materials.

Last edited by euroford; 12-06-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 171057
a little bit of feedback would be appreciated on this. so, i have a YJ manual steering shaft, it appears as though it is a slip shaft, so would be easy to shorten, however i think it is seized, or am i missing something?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 14570
Do you mean the slip is seized? If that's what you are referring to, I beleive the slip section is a tight rubber bushing, and is only meant to collapse in case of an accident. This is just a guess on my part.
Hickeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 171057
yeah the slip is seized, i was starting to wonder if it was actually a slip connection or if i was missing something.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 135002
Most of the slip joints I have seen have a hard plastic piece in them to hold the slip joint. You can melt it out with a torch, then with a little work and some lube, it will be sliding in and out easily.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 171057
right on. thanks for the feedback.

some pics of some recent progress:

front frame horns and bumper are basically done.

today i'm concentrating on the steering column, i just finished up fabbing a plate to attach the column firmly at the floor.

after thats done, i'll go beat on that steering shaft some more....
Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 171057
yesterday i finished up my steering box mount. I had originally intended on doing something similar to what Meiser just posted in his thread, but that wasn't going to work out with this combination of frame rail height and bolt spacing, so i made a separate plate. Ultimately i think this is a better choice for me as it will allow more careful alignment of everything, had i drilled the frame it would have been more difficult to mock-up.

i never did get the slip shaft unsiezed, however i realized it would instead be better to leave it this length and instead shorten the steering column to work with the longer shaft.

the box is just tacked in right now while i finished up the column and the shaft.

Last edited by euroford; 12-09-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 5326
More pictures!

Did you use the measurements that I posted in my thread on the 3-bolt box? I am wondering if the bolt pattern is that same? ( minus one bolt ) I am going to try and make a printable PDF of the bolt pattern that people can print out to make steering brackets or as a template to make a mount like I did.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 171057
i didn't use your measurements, since i had the stock YJ bracket in the garage i was able to just trace it onto a plate and cut it out. but YES, the measurements are the same for the three and four bolt boxes. A template like that would be super helpfull!!

i'll snap some more photos today as i finish up the steering column. for me, one of the hardest parts about this was getting my head wrapped around how to use the stock steering column, there are not a whole lot of good photos or resources describing how to do that, and its turning out to be surprisingly easy, and i think an honestly super solid solution for those of us wanting to keep the vehicle mostly stock.

Last edited by euroford; 12-09-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 52989
Keep it up, and like Mieser said, more pictures! I've read some very brief descriptions of how people modify the stock steering column, but I also don't quite understand what's involved. (It sounds like you simply cut off the worm gear and shove a bushing in the end of the steering column--but what holds the bushing in place? What size does it need to be? Do you need to cut any of the column off? What secures the bottom of the column to the floor? What prevent the steering shaft from moving upward when you pull on the steering wheel?)

Your box looks like it's aimed almost downward, was that to get enough space for the shaft under the front crossmember? If so, how is your angle looking on the rear column u-joint? Seems like it would be steep?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 171057
yeah exactly! those were all questions i had, and ones i've had to pretty much answer on the fly. this afternoon, i intend to finish the column and will snap some photos of what i've came up with.

yes, the box is pointed slightly downward, for a variety of reasons, and thats why its only just lightly tacked in place right now. after i get everything mocked into place things may need to be adjusted.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 171057
okay, so i got the steering in, everything is working nice and smoothly.

this is what i did to utilize the stock column.

starting from the left, these are the mods i made.

1. welded the dash bracket onto the column.
2. made a plate which attached the bottom of the column to the interior of the tub, uses 4x1/4" bolts.
3. cut column to length based on length of the steering shaft.
4. scrounged up a urethane bushing with a steel casing (left over from ford focus suspension overhaul) that just happened to be a press fit into the column. tacked it into the column, and slightly hogged out the bushing to a tight fit on the column shaft. this was used to fine-tune column lenth.
5. cut the column shaft down to the exact length needed to have the YJ steering shaft fit tight against the bushing.
6. ground flat spot onto the column shaft to accept the YJ shaft.

worked like a charm! super solid, not a bit of play in the whole system.