Dana 30 versus Dana 25 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
Dana 30 versus Dana 25

Have a NT Dana 30 from an 81 Scrambler to put in my 2A. Partially because I wanted the discs, and somewhat because I thought they were stronger than a 25. How though? I know it's a higher spline count, but it has a 5 bolt hole pattern for the lockouts vs. 6 for a dana 25. I'll need to regear the 30 to 5.38's to match my 44, but that's easy.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
Huh, looks like I can put my Dana 25 hubs (Actually Dana 27) on the NT 30 and keep 6 bolts.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Gates in ENF!

Member # 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
Huh, looks like I can put my Dana 25 hubs (Actually Dana 27) on the NT 30 and keep 6 bolts.
actually.. maybe..

1. you'll need to get creative on the bearings.. I'm pretty sure the spindles aren't the same
2. depends if the hubs are OE.. if stock, I don't think it works, If they are later hubs from someplace, it might work.

the way I remember it is: the later hubs can work with drums, but the old (drum brake) hubs wont work with discs.

I'd use a 30 in a Flatty no problem, but there's reasons to use a earlier unit.. lots of gyus out there using the 5 bolt hubs.. not great, but the 30 isn't supa-strong either.
urjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 188016
Some models of the 30 have a stronger design ring gear.Itshould be ok for moderate off road use depending on how you drive and the engine power.If you Google search Dama 30 there's some info out there about swapping parts.
I got the Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9991
I really don't know much about the 30 with my AMC bias and all. However, most people convert the 25 to discs. Yes, I had to take my hubs down and have the turned to get the rotor on. Any sharp guy with a brake lathe can do this.
The 25 is better than the 27, because it has a larger ring gear. The 27 is better, because it uses u-joints at the axle joint instead of the ball bearings (I can't remember the name) at the joint.
Here's an article of how to do it:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ion/index.html
You end up with a better system, because the GM calipiers are better.
The dream combination would be the 25 with 27 axles if it works?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I really don't know much about the 30 with my AMC bias and all. However, most people convert the 25 to discs. Yes, I had to take my hubs down and have the turned to get the rotor on. Any sharp guy with a brake lathe can do this.
The 25 is better than the 27, because it has a larger ring gear. The 27 is better, because it uses u-joints at the axle joint instead of the ball bearings (I can't remember the name) at the joint.
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ion/index.html
You end up with a better system, because the GM calipiers are better.
The dream combination would be the 25 with 27 axles if it works?
I have all of that right now, with all the weak 10 spline hook ups and everything. I haven't broken an axle, but still would like to swap it to something easier to get parts for.
25 housing and gears, 27 hubs and axle shafts.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 188016
Quote:
My 51 Willys has a for sure stock front 25 axle,10 spline hub.One axle has a u-joint and the other has a CV type joint with balls.I believe replacement axles for the 25 have U-joints but they might not be stronger due to where they are made or whatever.
A bigger ring gear is not stronger unless the carrier and spider gears are stronger too.
The weakness is really the axle shafts???
I got the Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98177
The shafts in my 25 are stamped Spicer, with Spicer U Joints in them. You also had the Rzeppa and the Bendix joints, and I have 4 spare parts of mix matched sets of those.
Turns out the 25 hubs (from 1947) swap onto the D30 spindles (from 1981) with minimal effort, just needed to do a quick bearing and race swap and press the wheel studs back in. Now if anyone has a D30 set of 5.38's, please let me know. Oh, and lockouts for the 27? Spline front D30