Pirate 4x4 banner

WILLYS Cage Inspiration Thread

43K views 96 replies 35 participants last post by  shopteach 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's do an official cage building inspiration thread. It's one of those items that we all need no matter what our diffs/tires/engine combo may be.
I am getting ready to build my cage and have been looking at a lot of build threads for ideas. It would be easier if we had one thread for ideas. I do not care what the cage is made of (dom,hrew,pipe) this is not the spot for that disscussion. I am looking for design pictures that will help others build their cage. Also pics of the frame tie ins.

If you have pictures that you stole from some other post or if it is not you cage, I do not care just post the pics for build ideas.

Useful links that I have found:

link to bendin' tube 101

Link to the TJ Cage Inspiration Thread

tube size vs strength and other info

Roll Cage 101

Chop saw notching 101

chopsaw notching calculator

how I sleeved a splice

I found a tube contour gauge at speedway motors. Thought this might help someone else.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pipemaster-P-T175-Contour-Gauge-for-1-3-4-Inch-OD-Tubing,9695.html

See less See more
#78 ·
On my cage, I bought two packs of ten wrap around gussets in so I used all of them. Same theory with the other small packs of gussets that I bought, I used all of them. I figured it wouldn't make it any weaker.

#77 ·
My cage was designed to use as little tube as possible so the gusset you see are to add strength in the areas where I chose not to add the" traditional" little window bars, rear cross bars, and the 3ed roof bar. This jeep will be competing in rock crawl comps and the cage was designed for that use in mind.

#89 ·
Thanks. You described it " family cage that has some style" exactally how I wanted it to turn out. I'm glad you like it. It's completely open when your inside it. And you can load the little one in the back seat from all four sides. Here is a little more detail on how I did the inside

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.