anyone go petronix... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 123564
anyone go petronix...

sick of dealing with points on my l-head..anyone do the switch( 6 volt) and any tips/where did you get it/etc
xjandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjandyj View Post
sick of dealing with points on my l-head..anyone do the switch( 6 volt) and any tips/where did you get it/etc
We did one on a fiend's restored 49. It worked excellent. As far as i know, it's still running strong some 4 years later. Good upgrade.

Sorry, i can't recall where he got it.
nofender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 52989
I was recently considering pertronix too. For better or worse, I just decided to go with a new omix-ada electronic distributor. It was 120 (140?) complete and all new.

By the time you buy a new cap, rotor and pertronix you are nearly at that price. That being said, the original stuff is probably better and you could revert back to points if the module ever goes out. I don't know if that helps, but I was on the fence with this for a few years before finally just buying the omix one. I think the tipping point for me was when I noticed how rusty mine looked inside and how much slop there was in the shaft. You can buy new shaft bushings for these, I can probably find the link if you need it.

I have heard of modules going out (on both the pertronix and the omix) and I can't help wonder if it's because of using the wrong resistance coil. I bet pertronix could tell you exactly what to use with theirs.

Omix told me to use a .80 Ohm coil and NO ballast resistor. Alternatively they said to use their 12V coil and NO ballast resistor. I bought their coil. It says 080 on the side (whatever that means). The resistance as measured was 3.3 Ohm... FWIW.