FOJV 501c(3) information - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7647
FOJV 501c(3) information

Is there anyone I can contact directly to get the 501c(3) information?

I'd like to write off the software that I wrote for the JV Letter generator last year. I'd like to write off the software for the JV Stats we gathered this year.

I've asked several people for the information, but I can't ever seem to get an answer.

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
I still have not heard back..

sorry.

But now that I think about it, maybe thats an ORBA thing, not a FOJV thing

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
I still have not heard back..

sorry.

But now that I think about it, maybe thats an ORBA thing, not a FOJV thing
Which means what? I remember the FOJV posts claiming 501c(3) here and on the forum before the site went down.

Am I simply out the donated time? What was the point of getting the 501c(3) done if donating time/money isn't valid as a tax write-off

I hate to be crass about this, but it's coming awfully close to the tax deadline.

Sniper Fab
Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
No. I think ORBA is 501 c3 too.

That info maybe easier to get.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 114877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
No. I think ORBA is 501 c3 too.
Pretty sure that ORBA isn't a 501c3. They do lobbying, and that's a no no for 501c3's.

In fact, all 501c3's should check with their legal advisors, all the publicity about hiring lobbyists for JV, could raise some red flags for some of the orgs. i.e. BRC, FOJV, PFJV, FOD.

jim
justcallmejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 69305
Contact Rick, Broke That on Pirate. He has a thread a couple below this that you can PM him.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
ORBA is a 501C(6) The portion of funds we use for direct lobbying is not a write off, we report that to our membership at the end of our fiscal year. (December) Typically those that donate to ORBA are members.

To the best of my knowledge a 501c3 has a threshold that they can meet in regards to lobbying. I believe its 20% of gross revenue, but if you are a 501C3 you should know that.

CMRC is a 501c4 I apologize I don't know the details of a 501c4. I don't know what Cal 4 wheel is but its likely a 501c4 or c5 because they have been paying Terry McHale for years and that's direct lobbying at the Ca state level.

All that being said Indirect lobbying which is what I do for ORBA does not fall under that threshold number. BRC is a 501C3 and Greg Mumm spends a lot of time "educating" legislators. They run their numbers at about 18% if I remember correctly on lobbying.

Apeters if you need something from me contact me directly and we can see what we can get you. I think you have two ways to work this. 1.) create a bill and write it off as bad debt. or call it a contribution, and write it off.

Call me and we can make sure you are taken care of. I am convinced that the work you have done in regards to the Johnson Valley survey is one of the most important parts of my message. I want to make sure you are made whole.

Carrera Performance Group, LLC Off Road Solutions, from Marketing to Management
Jeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmejim View Post
Pretty sure that ORBA isn't a 501c3. They do lobbying, and that's a no no for 501c3's.

In fact, all 501c3's should check with their legal advisors, all the publicity about hiring lobbyists for JV, could raise some red flags for some of the orgs. i.e. BRC, FOJV, PFJV, FOD.

jim
Lets strip this down. Not sure what your message is but will go case by case.

CMRC not a 501c3 so they can lobby.
BRC they spend 18% of their gross on Direct lobbying. (look at the tax records) They spend additional money on Indirect lobbying. They could donate to CMRC if they choose, but they have not.

FOJV can donate caveat only 20% can go toward direct lobbying. If they don't spend any money on lobbying on their own that can go to CMRC. PLUS CMRC spends money on other things, education, Indirect lobbying. Bla Bla.

PFJV thats a a CTUC deal right? So my understanding is that is a bunch of Friends of groups under one 501c3. You pool all the groups under that umbrella and than 20% of that combined gross can go to Lobbying.

FOD Freinds of Oceano? 20% of gross BUT!!!! they are getting grant money that precludes them from lobbying, so they are not donating to savethehammers.

So your response that thats a No No is not accurate. a 501 C3 can donate a portion of gross to lobbying. You don't think churches refrain from lobbying do you?

The big question is can a 501 C 3 donate money to a group like Save the hammers and earmark it for non lobby efforts?

The only reason I see a group should be a 501c3 is so they can get grant money.

Carrera Performance Group, LLC Off Road Solutions, from Marketing to Management
Jeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters89 View Post
Which means what? I remember the FOJV posts claiming 501c(3) here and on the forum before the site went down.

Am I simply out the donated time? What was the point of getting the 501c(3) done if donating time/money isn't valid as a tax write-off

I hate to be crass about this, but it's coming awfully close to the tax deadline.

FOJV is a 501c3

Jim Knox is our legal counsel, he goes by Shoyrtt on here

Rich Rethoret is the treasurer, Broke That on the board

FOJV is contributing to CMRC and PFJV has committed the 14,000 that was raised at the KOH gate to the same fund.

Dave
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Knoll View Post
ORBA is a 501C(6) The portion of funds we use for direct lobbying is not a write off, we report that to our membership at the end of our fiscal year. (December) Typically those that donate to ORBA are members.

To the best of my knowledge a 501c3 has a threshold that they can meet in regards to lobbying. I believe its 20% of gross revenue, but if you are a 501C3 you should know that.

CMRC is a 501c4 I apologize I don't know the details of a 501c4. I don't know what Cal 4 wheel is but its likely a 501c4 or c5 because they have been paying Terry McHale for years and that's direct lobbying at the Ca state level.

All that being said Indirect lobbying which is what I do for ORBA does not fall under that threshold number. BRC is a 501C3 and Greg Mumm spends a lot of time "educating" legislators. They run their numbers at about 18% if I remember correctly on lobbying.

Apeters if you need something from me contact me directly and we can see what we can get you. I think you have two ways to work this. 1.) create a bill and write it off as bad debt. or call it a contribution, and write it off.

Call me and we can make sure you are taken care of. I am convinced that the work you have done in regards to the Johnson Valley survey is one of the most important parts of my message. I want to make sure you are made whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRecoveryTeam View Post
FOJV is a 501c3

Jim Knox is our legal counsel, he goes by Shoyrtt on here

Rich Rethoret is the treasurer, Broke That on the board

FOJV is contributing to CMRC and PFJV has committed the 14,000 that was raised at the KOH gate to the same fund.

Dave

Thank you both for the info. I was talking with Rich on the fojv board before it went down. I'll contact him again here.

Sniper Fab
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 114877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Knoll View Post
Lets strip this down. Not sure what your message is but will go case by case.

CMRC not a 501c3 so they can lobby.
BRC they spend 18% of their gross on Direct lobbying. (look at the tax records) They spend additional money on Indirect lobbying. They could donate to CMRC if they choose, but they have not.

FOJV can donate caveat only 20% can go toward direct lobbying. If they don't spend any money on lobbying on their own that can go to CMRC. PLUS CMRC spends money on other things, education, Indirect lobbying. Bla Bla.

PFJV thats a a CTUC deal right? So my understanding is that is a bunch of Friends of groups under one 501c3. You pool all the groups under that umbrella and than 20% of that combined gross can go to Lobbying.

FOD Freinds of Oceano? 20% of gross BUT!!!! they are getting grant money that precludes them from lobbying, so they are not donating to savethehammers.

So your response that thats a No No is not accurate. a 501 C3 can donate a portion of gross to lobbying. You don't think churches refrain from lobbying do you?

The big question is can a 501 C 3 donate money to a group like Save the hammers and earmark it for non lobby efforts?

The only reason I see a group should be a 501c3 is so they can get grant money.
One more reason is that contributions to a 501c3 may be tax deductable (always consult your tax preparer before taking any deduction). CTUC also receives grants and makes contributions to groups for "educational" purposes.

jim

Last edited by justcallmejim; 03-21-2012 at 11:18 AM.
justcallmejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters89 View Post

Check with your tax expert, but mine said I could not donate and write off time. Man, if I could, wow, the gubmint would go broke.

This should serve as a message to those that are donating to any non profit. Be sure you know who you are giving to. Just because there is something out there does not mean it is all above board or they have their crap together. It should be a simple exercise for a potential donor. The long time orgs out there all have records that can be searched. The new ones would have to provide information. If an org wants people to give to it, they should be able to get that info out pretty quickly.

If a donor asks for a letter it is required that the org respond. For a 501c3, anything above $250.00 requires a letter based on IRS rules.

Scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
Racer Jack tm
Almar Mfg 530-333-2496

Find us on Facebook
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Yes. They "could" also spend the percentage of the lobbying limit at their annual rate.
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
Racer Jack tm
Almar Mfg 530-333-2496

Find us on Facebook
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzila View Post
Check with your tax expert, but mine said I could not donate and write off time. Man, if I could, wow, the gubmint would go broke.

This should serve as a message to those that are donating to any non profit. Be sure you know who you are giving to. Just because there is something out there does not mean it is all above board or they have their crap together. It should be a simple exercise for a potential donor. The long time orgs out there all have records that can be searched. The new ones would have to provide information. If an org wants people to give to it, they should be able to get that info out pretty quickly.

If a donor asks for a letter it is required that the org respond. For a 501c3, anything above $250.00 requires a letter based on IRS rules.

Scott
Not sure what you are implying. FOJV is 100% legit. Aaron indicated he has called people with no response except there is really only 2 people that have the info and he didn't know about them till a few posts ago. I'm theoretically the 3rd person and all I would do is tell him to call the first two