Hammer trails mapped in Google Earth - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 98038
Hammer trails mapped in Google Earth

I decided to make a .kmz file that anybody can open with Google Earth with all of the Hammer trails. I made it so I could import it into an app on my phone called "BackCountry Navigator". It should make finding trails a little easier for me . As time goes on more trails that are broken can be added to this file and it can be reposted.

All credit goes to Extreme Wheelers 4 Christ. I got all of the information from their map http://extremewheelers4christ.org/EW4Cmap2.pdf.

This is a snapshot, if you open the .kmz file with Google Earth you can turn trails on and off, as well as take a virtual tour of each trail. You can also turn off the landmarks, I included them because they were on the EW4C pdf.

Here is the file

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/yp9ycx3zoxp...r%20Trails.kmz

EDIT: I couldn't get it to import into my phone properly with that kmz file, because it is a compressed file. It worked perfectly with the uncompressed .kml file. Here is a link to that in case anybody has any issues with the .kmz.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/axsigksnsj0...r%20Trails.kml

Local business' holiday hours: http://www.ClosedForTheHoliday.com

Lost/found pet classifieds: http://www.WhereIsMyPet.org
-------------------------------
www.SoCalIndependent4x4.com

Web hosting starting at $4.95!

Last edited by 4x4Taco; 08-08-2012 at 09:32 AM.
4x4Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
Nice!!
lttlbddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16358
Send a message via ICQ to k5chevyblazer Send a message via AIM to k5chevyblazer Send a message via Yahoo to k5chevyblazer
bad ass, thank you!

Automatic Gates by Morgan and we are on Facebook too.

Who is the FOTR?
Who is the RTF?
k5chevyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 40544
now if we could get the street view camera through all those trails

bob
ew4c
catfish<>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. DJ

Member # 85595
Very nice!!

How do I take a virtual tour of Jack Hammer?

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748821

web wheeler...
DJ404564X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 98038
When you expand any of the folders containing the trails, there is two files. One is the path, the other is the thumbtack icon that is just the location of the start. click on the other file which has the 3 little red dots as the icon. Below the list of the trails there is an up/down arrow button set and to the right of that there is a button with 3 blue dots and a play (sideways triangle) icon. Click that button and it will go to the trail and after a couple seconds it will give you a virtual tour. Note, if you do not click the path file for the trail first, you will not see this button,

Glad I could help out the community. Once again thank you EW4C for doing the real work and compiling the original data.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 199782
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish<>< View Post
now if we could get the street view camera through all those trails

bob
ew4c
Ya know...they do have both car and bike versions. Perhaps it IS time for a 4x4 version.
ABearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4565
Send a message via AIM to stoneyxj
Sick!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 40544
a little off topic but a lot of the major ski resorts are ob google earthwith ski cams, Breckinridge is one you can ride right down the hill

bob
ew4c

Last edited by catfish<><; 08-08-2012 at 08:27 AM.
catfish<>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Well done!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pathfinder

Member # 16125
4x4Taco, thanks for doing this! You obviously put a lot of work into it.

Please don't be offended by this post. I have been wanting to do something like this for a long time but have not found the time or energy to get it done. You have!

I did find a couple of mistakes and have a minor complaint. Maybe this .kml file works great for the app you use, and the tracks would certainly get a person to the trail and up the right canyon in almost all cases, but it is not as accurate as I would like.

My tracks are not perfect (Boulderdash REALLY needs to be cleaned up), but I have spent hundreds of hours over the last 4 years trying to get the KOH tracks as clean and accurate as possible.

To give you an example, I opened my .kml file from KOH 2012 on top of your .kml. My tracks are blue, yours are red. PM me with your email and I would be happy to send you this .kml file.

- 1st image: Short Bus is in the wrong spot. I never noticed this on the EW4C map, but it is wrong there too. This brings me to my minor complaints. Your tracks are pretty jagged and far off in many cases. There is no one line up a canyon, but in the 1st image, for example, Backdoor is up on the side of the mountain.

- 2nd image: Your track is way off for the north part of Fissure Mtn. On the EW4C map the track is correct.

- 3rd image: At the top of Fissure Mtn is another example of accurately following a track. My track is almost on top of the road in most places, yours is on the side of the mountain, well off and jagged.

I am not asking you redo your map to bring it up to my anal retentive standards for accuracy, but the mistakes really should be fixed.

Some day I hope to put a website together that will share all of the KOH race course tracks and maps as well as other tracks to cool places and things in Johnson Valley. For now you beat me to it with a great effort! Thanks again.
Attached Images

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
TurtleTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 98038
I will see what I can do. As far as the jagged lines go....I have a cheap mouse and a $2 mouse pad. Also I didn't zoom in all that far, I was just throwing something together for my cell phone really. As far as Backdoor/Shortbus go I had a REALLY hard time trying to figure out where the trail was because that map tile is inverted colors from the rest of the map tiles in the area. It was messing with me. I will PM you my address so you can send me the map and I will fix those. I will also see if I can zoom in and get the trails a little more in the canyon. Thanks everybody for your input! (By the way no offense taken at all)

Old 08-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 98038
Ok I redid those paths that you pointed out to me. I will do my best to get the rest of the paths redone over the next few days. The links will get you the new files. I zoomed way in when I did Fissure Mtn, that took forever! Should br right though. My only question is almost at the exit...there is 2 ways the path branches off. Here is a picture showing what I mean, Did I do the path in the right place?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pathfinder

Member # 16125
OK. The file is on the way to your email.

As for 1 or 2 on Fissure Mtn, either one works, but 2 is easier and quicker, 1 is rocky. I am also sending you a very clean .kml of Fissure Mtn trail that I just now converted from a GPS file for you.

I figured that the jaggies were due to mouse and zoom combined with just getting it done. My favorite for any kind of detailed work is a ball mouse and a good mouse pad. Optical mice are just too sloppy and jerky.

Thanks again for your hard work here. Don't worry about trying to make it perfect.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 98038
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTruck View Post
OK. The file is on the way to your email.

As for 1 or 2 on Fissure Mtn, either one works, but 2 is easier and quicker, 1 is rocky. I am also sending you a very clean .kml of Fissure Mtn trail that I just now converted from a GPS file for you.

I figured that the jaggies were due to mouse and zoom combined with just getting it done. My favorite for any kind of detailed work is a ball mouse and a good mouse pad. Optical mice are just too sloppy and jerky.

Thanks again for your hard work here. Don't worry about trying to make it perfect.
Thanks a ton for the 2 files. I completely redid the path for every trail. My Google Earth skills went from 0 yesterday to moderate today lol. I literally Googled how to make a path yesterday because I had no idea. I though that I had to drag with the mouse button down. I figured out today that I could make the skeleton of the path then round out the corners after I had the skeleton built. It worked way better.

I know there are still trails that are not on the map like SOS, so anybody that wants to can add to it. I know where SOS starts (Turkey Claw) but I am not sure where it comes out so I couldn't add it.

Enjoy everybody!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pathfinder

Member # 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Taco View Post
Thanks a ton for the 2 files. I completely redid the path for every trail. My Google Earth skills went from 0 yesterday to moderate today lol. I literally Googled how to make a path yesterday because I had no idea. I though that I had to drag with the mouse button down. I figured out today that I could make the skeleton of the path then round out the corners after I had the skeleton built. It worked way better.

I know there are still trails that are not on the map like SOS, so anybody that wants to can add to it. I know where SOS starts (Turkey Claw) but I am not sure where it comes out so I couldn't add it.

Enjoy everybody!
So you probably know more about drawing tracks in Google Earth than I do now. The interface for drawing is a little strange. I have never had to really learn it in depth.

I build all of my tracks in Garmin MapSource which is great for editing tracks. Once the track is how I want it I save the file as .gpx and then use a freeware program called GPS TrackMaker to convert to most any GPS format. The coolest thing about GPS TrackMaker is that with a couple of clicks it converts your GPS track and opens it in Google Earth.

I use Google Earth mostly for finding new possible routes. I draw the track where I think something will go, save it as a .kml, and then use GPS Trackmaker to convert the .kml to .gpx. Once there I can open the track in Garmin MapSource and upload it to my GPS.

Google Earth is such a cool tool! To be able to fly around a virtual satellite image based world is awesome.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 145699
OK Mark, you called me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTruck View Post
- 1st image: Short Bus is in the wrong spot. I never noticed this on the EW4C map, but it is wrong there too. This brings me to my minor complaints. Your tracks are pretty jagged and far off in many cases. There is no one line up a canyon, but in the 1st image, for example, Backdoor is up on the side of the mountain.
I put that Shot Bus on the map well before you could drive over the notch from Back Door and to camp. I believe the canyon between the notch and Back Door is the original Short Bus. Once KOH started I would here everyone one calling the notch Short Bus.

Iíve never been 100% on itís location but check out the description and pictures in this thread:

/forum/johnson-valley/841367-history-hammers-other-jv-trails.html

By the way our map was made a long time ago because there was no substantial map of the trails back then, there wasnít even Google maps. I used the cheapest of cheap GPS to track most of the trails without any topo underlay and then physically translate the tracks to a paper topo.

Funny story, when Google maps first came out you couldnít even see Fissure Mtn. trail because no one ever went up there. The first time we went it was the middle of the summer, middle of the week, no one on the lake bed, no moon, and started early in the evening. We thought 2 hours no problem, easy trail. It literally took us all night to find the way in the dark and almost decided to spend the last few hours of dark waiting for the sun to come up so we could tell where we were.

Good times!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 98038
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCuzzz View Post

I put that Shot Bus on the map well before you could drive over the notch from Back Door and to camp. I believe the canyon between the notch and Back Door is the original Short Bus. Once KOH started I would here everyone one calling the notch Short Bus.

Iíve never been 100% on itís location but check out the description and pictures in this thread:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841367

By the way our map was made a long time ago because there was no substantial map of the trails back then, there wasnít even Google maps. I used the cheapest of cheap GPS to track most of the trails without any topo underlay and then physically translate the tracks to a paper topo.

Funny story, when Google maps first came out you couldnít even see Fissure Mtn. trail because no one ever went up there. The first time we went it was the middle of the summer, middle of the week, no one on the lake bed, no moon, and started early in the evening. We thought 2 hours no problem, easy trail. It literally took us all night to find the way in the dark and almost decided to spend the last few hours of dark waiting for the sun to come up so we could tell where we were.

Good times!
Thank you a ton for your map that gave me the coordinates to start at with each trail. Your work was great, I just needed it in a format that my phone GPS app would use.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pathfinder

Member # 16125
Quote:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841367

Good times!
I stand corrected Doug. I was not meaning to "call you out", but you know that!

Looking at the pictures and description from the other thread you and 4x4Taco were probably very close to the original trail.

The next time I go to JV (once it cools off some) I really want to check out that canyon to see how much traffic has gone up and how far it has been pushed. It is inferred in the post that they did not finish it because of this statement, "It does have great potential to continue it but an exit becomes an issue".

It is very interesting that today, through general usage and publicity from KOH, the trail over the saddle is now and will probably forever be known as Short Bus. I say we blame it on Dustin... he was the one doing the commentary that day!

Maybe we should call the first trail "The Original Short Bus"!

Great story about Fissure Mountain!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
I'm impressed by the level of detail in these maps, Doug, Mark, and 4x4Taco, and the respectful exchange of information--that hundreds if not thousands of people will benefit from in the future.

Quote:
I find it easiest to find my way up Fissure Mountain before sunrise by following Carey.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
RECON ROCK SLUT

Member # 68433
For Android Phone users, you can upload these KML files to your Google Maps online, which will automatically sync to "your places" on your phone's google maps. FYI
bholt5035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wrecked Off Road

Member # 89211

Last edited by Sam24462; 09-09-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Sam24462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 25661
Quote:

Here is the file

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/yp9ycx3zoxp...r%20Trails.kmz

EDIT: I couldn't get it to import into my phone properly with that kmz file, because it is a compressed file. It worked perfectly with the uncompressed .kml file. Here is a link to that in case anybody has any issues with the .kmz.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/axsigksnsj0...r%20Trails.kml
Thanks for all the time & effort getting these accurate & making them available to everyone!

Are these 2 links the most recent up to date copies of the kml & kmz?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 98038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ern View Post
Thanks for all the time & effort getting these accurate & making them available to everyone!

Are these 2 links the most recent up to date copies of the kml & kmz?
No problem! Yes, the links are up to date

Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 25661
Quote:
No problem! Yes, the links are up to date
Awesome! Thanks so much!

I remember last year I had the 4wheelers for christ map printed out and my BB gps in my hand and was trying to lay the map out (without the wind blowing it away) waaay out on the trails somewhere in the middle of the night trying to enter some points to guide us home. I was meaning to preload some trails before this year, but I wouldn't have done anywhere near as good of a job as this!