Permits issued for Marine exapansion into JV! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Exclamation Permits issued for Marine exapansion into JV!

Mud Rod posted this in another thread, but it deserves its own mention.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/val...rne_palms.html

TWENTYNINE PALMS — Bureau of Land Management and United States Marine Corps officials this week confirmed that permits have been issued to look into expanding the facility at Twentynine Palms — possibly by as much as 100,000 acres into Johnson Valley.

The land acquisition is part of an effort to become the nation’s premiere combat training facility, said Gunnery Sgt. Chris W. Cox, the public affairs chief at the Marine Corps Air/Ground Combat Center.

“The Marine Corps is looking at areas contiguous to the base, including the Johnson Valley, but no final decisions have been made regarding what alternatives will be pursued and analyzed,” Cox said in a prepared statement. “When the alternatives are finalized, we will inform the public.”

Permits were issued to conduct surveys of cultural and environmental impact, said BLM Chief of Resources, Mickey Quillman, who is based out of the Barstow office.

While both Quillman and Cox warned that the proposed project would be still be many years off, Quillman conceded there could be an impact on Lucerne Valley, in at least as much as noise levels are concerned.

“It would be used for military training — a combination of live fire and force on force training,” Quillman said.

Cox said that there is currently no training facility in the nation that can support the training requirements proposed by the Marine Corps, and that Twentynine Palms has been tasked with rectifying that.

“It is imperative that Marines receive the most realistic training before deploying into a combat environment that demands split-second life or death decisions. The potential land parcel additions would allow Marines to ‘train as they fight’ as a large-scale Marine Air Ground Task Force, in particular a Marine Expeditionary Brigade,” Cox said.

Quillman said that while the surveys are taking place, the process will require Notice of Intent — which will open the discussion to the public, through scoping meetings — and the proposal of alternative locations. Right now, he said it is unclear which direction the base will eventually decide on expanding into.

“This process of simply figuring out what land the base might actually need to meet the Marine Corps training requirements and how it affects other interests could take anywhere from three to five years” said Jim Ricker, assistant chief of staff for the G-5 training center.

That process, Cox said, “will involve a great deal of input from the local community and the wide range of stakeholders.” Quillman added that of particular concern are the off-road vehicle community and proposed solar projects.

At the most recent LVEDA meeting, Quillman said the base planned to take 100,000 acres of Johnson Valley, but amended his statement when speaking to Leader staff.

“It’s misleading to say the Marines are going to take 100,000 acres of Johnson Valley … we are looking at a number of locations,” Quillman said. “In a perfect world I don’t see anything happening for at least five years — we’ve just opened a dialogue.”

Last edited by shoyrtt; 04-08-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add link
shoyrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
Ouch...but we already knew this was coming. We cannot let this drop! We need to keep people involved!
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 27712
This is bad news!!!

We need to keep fighting, as tis is far from over! Hopefully, if nothing else, the noise issues with Lucerne and Yucca nearby will also help to defeat this
rsqne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 42436
I agree we need to keep fighting, please keep us posted as what we can do as a community or individuals to help keep the hammers open, thanks for posting up!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/jrodd66[/url]
jrod66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24314
QUote: Quillman said that while the surveys are taking place, the process will require Notice of Intent — which will open the discussion to the public, through scoping meetings — and the proposal of alternative locations. Right now, he said it is unclear which direction the base will eventually decide on expanding into.

So what is are next move wait till the Discussion? Is There anything else till then , and how do we make shure we are informed when and where the meetings will be?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by tjmark; 04-09-2008 at 05:17 AM.
tjmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 14712
Tell us out East guys what to do. Is there a place we can send emails? Links to vote??
Killerpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 46081
I love it, the BLM is up our rear telling us to stay on the trail and protect the land then the USMC comes knocking and lets everybody know that they are going to turn the place into the best spot in the nation for dropping bombs and shooting stuff up. Great, so when a USMC plane drops a 1000 pound guided bomb on the trail that is cool but your 42" IROCs are a serious problem folks.

We seriously need to stop this deal. As a community we also need to figure out what we are going to do if we get our butts kicked. I'm thinking So Cal needs a private ownership ORV park where we can cut whatever trail we want.
tbeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3622
If the course of action is to "wait for a decision", it will be too late.

Any base expansion needs to come before the House Armed Services Committee.

For a list of Committee Members, see thread: /forum/land-use-issues/663800-johnson-valley-action-needed.html

Interaction with the local community is important. If they come out in support of the expansion, recreation will lose.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Location: Way closer to the Hammers than you!!! Was Montrose, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyrtt View Post
...The land acquisition is part of an effort to become the nationís premiere combat training facilitye.
Then why not just use the middle east?!
NOT my backyard!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Quote:
That process, Cox said, “will involve a great deal of input from the local community and the wide range of stakeholders.” Quillman added that of particular concern are the off-road vehicle community and proposed solar projects.
This is the only positive spin from the article; Quillman mentioning the off-road community first. IMO (and I know I have said this before) the off-road businesses really need to move NOW to keep our OHV areas open.

I live off of the 10 Fwy here in SoCal and on any given Friday I will guarantee that if I watched the vehicles and equipment heading out to the desert, millions of dollars of revenue invested in these businesses pass by every few minutes. Take a look at the list of members on ORBA. I would estimate over 75% are from California. Closure of the OHV areas will likely lead to some of these businesses failure.

It may be a dream, but BLM's Mike Pool suggested to us a few weeks ago, the ONLY thing that can be done to prevent the BLM administratively re-designating an OHV area is a Congressional act. I guess it isn't a dream because it was done once before in Northern California, but that bill was a compromise. We shouldn't have to compromise in Johnson Valley.

Last edited by shoyrtt; 04-09-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 22519
Send a message via AIM to werty
I dont get it, they bomb the shit out of southern Nevada theres over a million acres that's not being use do to the governments nuclear programs. Why not use that wasted land in Nevada?
werty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 93886
I wonder if the plans will change if Obamma becomes pres. and pulls every one out and srinks the size of the military?
zuk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
I think this call for the heinous use of paper.....fax, don't email

Send a copy of your note to your elected officials, and to :

Quote:
BLM Chief of Resources
Mickey Quillman
Bureau of Land Management
Barstow Field Office
2601 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA 92311
Phone: (760) 252-6000
Fax: (760) 252-6098

Keep the pressure on.....
Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
boulder buddha

Member # 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Hog View Post
Then why not just use the middle east?!
NOT my backyard!

i have to agree that the training is aimed specifically at duplicating the mid east, iran afganistan etc.
total BS especialy to choose a place being used by civilians, especially when there are plenty of other areas to use.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750
What happens to the people who own property that backs up to Johnson Valley? What about the highway 247? Is that stuff going away? We need to do everything we can. I went to the San Diego meeting and plan to attend any future meeting to voice my opinion. I will say this....we need to use it as much as possible in the mean time!!

**ROCKBRAWLERS**
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
El Presidente

Member # 38540
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyrtt View Post

I live off of the 10 Fwy here in SoCal and on any given Friday I will guarantee that if I watched the vehicles and equipment heading out to the desert, millions of dollars of revenue invested in these businesses pass by every few minutes.

:
I agree 100% with you on this Jim.I think some off-road buisnesses have the ability to do a little more and aren't doing so.You know I live in MoVal and visit my parents every weekend in Fontana and I see $Millions of Dollars in toys going down the freeway heading out to the desert.

WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

*ROCK BRAWLERS* So-Cal
www.RockBrawlers.com

Fifth annual SoCal Off-Road Truck Show . Coming 2013 .
www.OffRoadTruckShow.com
Infernal Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrattle View Post
What happens to the people who own property that backs up to Johnson Valley? What about the highway 247? Is that stuff going away? We need to do everything we can. I went to the San Diego meeting and plan to attend any future meeting to voice my opinion. I will say this....we need to use it as much as possible in the mean time!!
If I had to guess, the feds buy up all of the private property through eminent domain. The 247 stays where it is (just like PCH runs right through Vandenberg AFB).

Ft. Irwin started a similar expansion over 20 years ago and they are in the final stages just now. I would hate to see a new administration and presumably a new BLM chief administratively designate JV as "wilderness" raising the fences in a shorter time span. As I understand it, the congressional act makes it much more difficult to "unwind the clock" in the future.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Jeep View Post
I agree 100% with you on this Jim.I think some off-road buisnesses have the ability to do a little more and aren't doing so.You know I live in MoVal and visit my parents every weekend in Fontana and I see $Millions of Dollars in toys going down the freeway heading out to the desert.
Peps, I have heard certain off-road business owners even own land in the area and are in a unique position to bend the ear of their local congressional leaders. A letter voicing these concerns to Ken Calvert might just help.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Jeep View Post
I think some off-road buisnesses have the ability to do a little more and aren't doing so.
X1,000!

Businesses do not even need to donate $$, all they have to do is help getting the word out! Flyers to every cusomter, talking to people, participating in work parties, asking thier customers to join work parties, write letters etc.....

Sadly, very few do that.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote