Johnson (Lucerne) Valley - Economic Impact - I NEED YOUR HELP! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 118115
Exclamation Johnson (Lucerne) Valley - Economic Impact - I NEED YOUR HELP!

Hi Everyone, My name is Kim Carpenter, I am a member of AMA/District 37. I am also a member of Rovers MC, Rescue 3 and I also provide medical/rescue services with Motorsports Medical the official medical provider for SCORE both in the states and in Mexico.

I have been active behind the scenes in the Johnson Valley (Lucerne Valley) land issues ie., Marine Corps expansion and proposed windmill project.

I am gathering information on behalf of the Partnership for Johnson Valley and have been invited to participate in the Lucerne Valley Economic Development meeting on September 2nd. This is where your help is needed. I am trying to gather as much info on how off-roading financially impacts Lucerne Valley. Think about the past six months and the times you have been out to Lucerne Valley. I need an estimate of how much you guys spend in gas, groceries, restaurant and misc expenses such as hardware store, water, dump fee's etc.

I need the BIG picture to present at this meeting. This info will then be forwarded to the powers that be who are initiating the Marine Corps expansion.

I will be making the same post on the Race-dezert and District 37 forums. Please only respond to me once. I want the dollar figure to be big but accurate.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and time. Hopefully, we will make a difference. Should you have any questions for me you can email me at carpentersa5k@msn.com

Thanks again,

Kim C.

Last edited by Kim C; 08-15-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Kim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 109963
In the last 6 months l've spent around $1,000 in lucerne. I stop at the cheveron for fuel, part runs when l'm broke, and allways stop to eat at the China House on the way home(awsome food).
caseyray63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
Kim, did you get a copy of the Advanstar report I forward to PFJV? It is a tool that can be used to give some general ideas of the scope of the off road industry...not that it's exclusive to JV, but it is a tool.

Next, our team competes in JV multiple times per year plus it is our practice and training grounds, not to mention our play area as well. Driving from San Diego, it's a long ride, but well worth the time considering the terrain, so JV is our area of choice. We use Cougar Buttes, the Frys, the RockGarden on Bessemer as well as the small range north of Bessemer just before the RockGarden, plus all of the Hammers Area and Means Dry Lake.

Our family is 7 4x4's strong and we spend an average of $1000 per weekend of recreation. Fuel x 140 gallons spent in Yucca Valley or Lucerne Valley is the AVERAGE buy for us per trip. Food @ $100 per trip in Yucca or Lucerne (mostly the Lucerne IGA). Auto Parts @ $150 in Yucca, Lucerne, or Apple Valley per trip. Firewood from Lucerne or Apple Valley @ $50 per trip. Those are the kinds of expenses we incure.

Considering we take an average of 9 trips per year to Johnson Valey, our family then spends approximately $9,000 annually at local businesses.

This does not include the huge dollars we've spent within the off road industry and industries that support off road. Examples of those ar we own a quarter million dollar Big Rig and race trailer, a half million dollar coach, numerous small trailers for different situations, the 7 4x4's which are ALL custom built and have a combined new value of $625,000. Not taking into consideration the main fuel to travel there, the normal food we stock in the coaches, registration, insurance, maintanance, and all of the other expenses that go along with participating in this industry at the level we do, you'll find our overall investment in the million + dollars range...this is a BIG deal to us and the supporting industries.

One other thing to consider is that Johnson Valley is reported to be either the most used, or second most used off road recreation area in the world. The Imperial Sand Dunes is the only area that rivals it. That shows how much activity will be lost if this area dissapears.

Best of luck on this and THANKS for taking on this responsibility. It's not a small task by any means.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 118115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep View Post
Kim, did you get a copy of the Advanstar report I forward to PFJV? It is a tool that can be used to give some general ideas of the scope of the off road industry...not that it's exclusive to JV, but it is a tool.
Dustin, I have not personally seen the info but I know that it has been received by one of our members. Thank you for that info.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 49936
Send a message via AIM to bigassjeep4u
We were at the Hammers for a night run saturday and spent over 100$ at the 76 where we met Kim? We took 3 rigs went to the local grocery store at close to 150$, and we were not there longer than 24hrs.
bigassjeep4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigassjeep4u View Post
We were at the Hammers for a night run saturday and spent over 100$ at the 76 where we met Kim? We took 3 rigs went to the local grocery store at close to 150$, and we were not there longer than 24hrs.
There were 20 or so rigs on the lakebed with 2 to 3 people in each. If we all spent around that number, we put $15,000 into the local community.

I usually spend $300 to $400 on food, fuel and supplies in Yucca for a family run and maybe $150 to $200 if I go solo. I live 80 miles from the lakebed and try to make six trips a year (although this year it will be more).

Thanks for your help Kim.
shoyrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 49936
Send a message via AIM to bigassjeep4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigassjeep4u View Post
Sorry, the Woman I met was Helen at the gas station not Kim.
bigassjeep4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Location: Way closer to the Hammers than you!!! Was Montrose, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim C View Post
I am gathering information on behalf of the Partnership for Johnson Valley and have been invited to participate in the Lucerne Valley Economic Development meeting on September 2nd. This is where your help is needed. I am trying to gather as much info on how off-roading financially impacts Lucerne Valley. Think about the past six months and the times you have been out to Lucerne Valley. I need an estimate of how much you guys spend in gas, groceries, restaurant and misc expenses such as hardware store, water, dump fee's etc.

I'm not sure if you need any data for nearby Yucca Valley, but I'd bet it's safe to say it's as much if not more than Lucerne.
Parts Houses, Lodging, Groceries, Fuel, Restaurants, etc. I see lots of folks parked at all the above.

I personally would not have spent a dime on my two rockcrawlers if it wasn't for the easy and fast access I have to Johnson Valley. Then all that rolled into a toy-hauler and all the other junk that goes with. If that place had been closed off before my buddy wrecked me on this awesome sport, I'd have spent my money on water toys. Who knows, if we loose our highly valued Johnson Valley OHV area, I'll sell off all my junk for the said water toys. But lets hope not...
Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 68324
I spend on average about $400.00 a weekend when I'm in Johnson Valley. I have a family of 4 with 2 young boys who love to ride their atv's and dirtbikes out there. For me its a great place for them to ride because it's so open and I feel safe for them. We always stop at the 76 gas station for diesil and super for the bikes, toyhauler and truck. As an ex-marine I hope my usmc family can find another place to do their training.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Kim, How are you doing with your study?
I ask because I have approached our local Yucca Valley Chamber of Commerce (YVCC) encouraging them to help partake in this battle. They (YVCC) didn't really know too much about the potential loss of local revenue. But now they know there is in fact a legitimate concern, they would like to know approximately what may be spent locally. I will help research this local question, but for now in short, do you have any figures for the Lucerne areas as of yet? I'd like to have some approximates by the 11th of Sept. if possible, whereas I will share this at their next scheduled meeting.
I could also use this preliminary info to pass on to the Town of Yucca Valley Council members as well...We have their interest as we speak.

Thanks,
Steve Parker
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
[QUOTE=One other thing to consider is that Johnson Valley is reported to be either the most used, or second most used off road recreation area in the world. The Imperial Sand Dunes is the only area that rivals it. That shows how much activity will be lost if this area dissapears.

[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to make sure this point wasn't missed.
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
How is this going Kim?

Have you checked the Chambers of Commerce for Lucerne/Yucca for info?
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim C View Post
...and have been invited to participate in the Lucerne Valley Economic Development meeting on September 2nd.
Kim,
I too was recently invited via Ray Pessa, and plan to attend. Is there a conflict of dates?
I was informed that the LVEDA meeting is September 5th at 6:00pm. Location at senior center in Lucerne Valley. Or are these two separate meetings?

Thanks,
Steve Parker
Old 08-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard Dog View Post
How is this going Kim?

Have you checked the Chambers of Commerce for Lucerne/Yucca for info?
As for Yucca Valley, they had no idea that the JV OHV area really had this much activity.
Therefore being that I'm a member of their Chamber, I have recently approached them about this concern. They are all over it. But I've been asked to help obtain information for them. They are in full support of this effort. The info I've relayed to them in the last two days has immensely peaked their interest. The info I've given them so far has only scratched the surface. Today I also talked to one of the Town Council members with more info, and he too has committed to go forward.
I'm waiting to here back from BLM for stats concerning past and future permits to help verify the amount of activity that occurs out there.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 38168
i would say on average $100 to $150 per trip in lucerne alone about 5 times a year

total $500 to $750 a year
DIZDEVILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 118115
Keep the info coming

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Please keep the information coming as this is an on-going project. Also, if you are a race promoter that spends significant amounts of time in Apple/Lucerne Valley please forward your local spending to me too.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 98651
ORBA must have a list of business, the real amount will be difficult to capture but equipment purchases is petty cut and dry...TJ
TomJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
We already have the OHV business numbers from Advanstar / OffRoad Business / DirtSports.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Kim,
The Morongo Basin Search and Rescue group is having their 29th annual fundraising event at Soggy Lake in early October. Some numbers from their event should be helpful to you not to mention this group has the backing of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department (contact info in the link).http://www.desertrun.org/desert_run.html
shoyrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 24314
Kim,

I have a family of 3. Wife Jen son Levi and myself.. We moved to Sandiego 5 years ago, just for the OHV riding from the state of NY. We have 2 quads and 1 jeep and 1 buggy. I Have a buggy made specifically for JV wheelig and have Well over 30,000 in parts alone in it from local buggy and off road shops.. I also purchased are 6,500$ quad to use AT JV.

We wheel the JV OHV area 8 to 10 times a year. Each trip we spend 150/200 in gas, 200 in food/drinks. We eat at the local diners on are way in and out..
I have bought Tires from the local tire shops (blown trailer tires). Local parts stores i visit when i break.. I have paid to fill up with water Local.

Thank you

Underwood Family
tjmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 98651
What I'll do with this is copy the 1st post to my adopt a trail yahoo group, about 30 clubs are on it they should have some info...TJ
TomJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote