High Desert Residents - You're invited - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 118115
High Desert Residents - You're invited

High Desert Residents,

I'd like to invite you to Farmer Boys restaurant this coming Saturday, September 27th at 6:30 pm. There you will meet Helen and Harry Baker of Partnership for Johnson Valley. They will be speakers at Barb Stanton's Save our Country (SOC) meeting.

Helen and Harry will have maps of the proposed Marine Corps Base expansion and will be availabe to answer questions as to the Partnerships message, the stakeholders involved and the process as we go forward.

Come on to the meeting, have a bite to eat and listen to what Helen and Harry have to say. This Farmer Boys is at the corner of Nisquali and Hesperia Road in Victorville.

As always, if you have any questions, please call me at 760-475-0409
Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 38339
So how did this go? With the FITD run this weekend did alot of people show up? Not a big run, but most of VV4W's would be out there.
losekannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 19875
Send a message via AIM to bakerhab2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by losekannon View Post
So how did this go? With the FITD run this weekend did alot of people show up? Not a big run, but most of VV4W's would be out there.
Hi Losekannon, thanks for asking.

The meeting went well, and it capped off a very long, busy, but good day in Johnson Valley.

We left home in the San Fernando Valley at 5 AM and headed out to JV. Our first stop was at the Johnson Valley Improvement Association Community Center for their weekly BIG BREAKFAST. They serve breakfast EVERY Saturday from 7 AM to 10 AM. Only 4 bucks a plate and all the profits go to help the community. Great folks and great conversation. These people are real 4 wheelers too, as most of them decided to settle in JV after wheelin out there over the years. Stop in some Saturday morning and meet these pioneers. The Community Center is on the corner of Larrea Rd. and Quailbush. From Boone Rd and Hwy 247 travel about a 1/2 mile west to Larrea Rd. turn left (south) and the Community Center is about 1 3/4 miles on the left. It's the only paved road going south in Johnson Valley. If you go, please tell the folks there about how important JV and their community is to offroaders.

We then headed over to Means to visit with the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers at their Fun In The Desert event. It was starting to get warm, but a slight breeze kept it comfortable. We spent an hour or so, talking with Desert Jewel at registration and taking pictures of the campsite, so that we can add to the power point. Got a great shot of a little redhead on an pink electric quad. Also saw the new FOJV/PFJV banner, very cool. Leaving Means we headed up towards Sledgehammer. Not into it, but up on top, to find a good vantage point to watch AND HEAR the group bump their way through. Leaving Sledge, we meandered up past the big sand hill to the west and worked our way around Clawhammer. The further we went the more evidence we found of mining. We passed dozens of claim markers, piles of tailings and a large operation with modern vehicles. We worked our way over to a point above Emerson Valley before we decided to turn around and head back towards Victorville for the evening meeting. While on our run around the Hammer area, we surprised a quad rider and a couple FOJV folks with how far we'd been able to travel in a full size extended cab Chevy pickup. And while we did not do the Hammers, we did see a lot of the area. So, to echo a comment heard just that morning at breakfast, "There's no place on earth, like Johnson Valley!"

On the way back to Victorville, we stopped off at Mike Mansfield's house, to pick up a just published map that shows all of the proposed locations for solar and wind sites in the Barstow BLM District. Yes, a lot of them are in Johnson Valley. This map will be available for viewing at the Currie Open House and the EXPO next weekend and at the October 13, FOJV meeting. Mike Mansfield is a photographer who allowed us to use his photos of JV historic sites in the power point.

Once back in Victorville, we met Kim Carpenter who had arranged for us to speak at the monthly Save Our Country dinner hosted by radio personality, Barb Stanton. Kim is the lady who is collecting the economic data for the Partnership For Johnson Valley. If you haven't sent your usage and spending data to Kim, please do it now. carpentersa5k@msn.com. Kim and her husband Ken, also volunteer with Rescue 3.

There were about 40 people at the dinner, and all of them were residents of the Lucerne/Apple Valley/Victorville area. As most were not off roaders, we were talking to a whole new audience. However, we were very pleased to finally meet the forum leader of My Jeep Rocks, Sarah, her husband Rick and MJR contributor Mitch (great88). Thank you for coming to the meeting and for all that you do to keep the community informed.

Harry was the final speaker after two candidates for City Council and a used car salesman with city permit problems, so the audience was getting restless or sleepy or both. Once Harry put up his big 6' X 6' map of the proposed expansion area, they really perked up. There's nothing like a big government takeover to make folks sit up and listen. Harry spoke of the Marines need to expand their training area and how their training needs could be met without withdrawing Johnson Valley, as there is room to expand to the East. I believe that Harry gave a very balanced explanation of our position. He encouraged everyone to attend one of the BLM public meetings in October and to make comments about the proposed withdrawal of public lands.

Meetings like this are very important because they provide an educational opportunity within the community. Thank you Kim for arranging this.

For anyone else wishing to set up a presentation please contact the Partnership For Johnson Valley at info@pfjv.org or Harry Baker at bakerhab@aol.com.

HAVE MAP, WILL TRAVEL

Our day ended back in the San Fernando Valley at 10:30 PM.

Helen Baker
www.pfjv.org
bakerhab2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
Thanks for that recap Helen
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38339
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a fun filled day. That little girl on the electric quad is my friends daughter. Also might have to go out and check that big breakfast thing out there.
Once again thanks for the info.
losekannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 110052
Everyone

Helen and Harry have been out covering JV from
Apple Valley to 29 Palms hitting every Town club,
Association, Coffee house, Business, Residance...You name it,
Helen and Harry have most likely have covered it.

All this in between attending meetings and showing the PP to
any group who have asked

Once, sometimes twice a week trip to JV since this thing
started. The above report is just one of many.

Please donate a couple of bucks to PFJV to cover
some of their expenses. Pretty much everything the
partnership has done so far has been out of pocket
personal expenses.

Visit the following link,
http://www.trailusers.org/membership.htm

Either join CTUC or make a donation and put
PFJV in the message box. Yes its a little querky, but we are working on it

Or option, send check to
CTUC/PFJV
3550 Foothill Blvd
Glendale, CA 91214

Thanks
Wayne Nosala
http://www.pfjv.org/
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 292
Helen, does LVEDA know about the meetings in October?
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup /forum/general-4x4-discussion/298203-desertoy-mustard-dog-build-pair-x-chassis.html
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 19875
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertoy View Post
Helen, does LVEDA know about the meetings in October?
John,

I sent the information to Chuck Bell, and I know that he sent out emails about it, but I don't see it posted on the LVEDA website. Why don't you call him and give him a nudge? Also, the next LVEDA meeting is Tuesday, October 7, 2008. The importance of attending the BLM Public Information meetings should be discussed there. http://lvcal.org/lveda.htm

Helen

Thursday, Oct. 23, 2008 in Twentynine Palms, at Hay's Gym at Twentynine Palms Junior High School, 5798 Utah Trail, from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 24, 2008 in Victorville, at the Hilton Garden Inn, 12603 Mariposa Rd., from 1:00-4:00 p.m. and 6:00-9:00 p.m.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 81004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerhab2003 View Post
Got a great shot of a little redhead on an pink electric quad. we surprised a quad rider and a couple FOJV folks with how far we'd been able to travel in a full size extended cab Chevy pickup.
www.pfjv.org
HA HA thanks for the recap, the FOJV people you ran into was me and my friend and the little girl on the quad is my daughter. Will you e-mail the picture to me please I would like to see it.
Thanks, Tony tmuzyka@verizon.net
Tool Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 19875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pimp View Post
HA HA thanks for the recap, the FOJV people you ran into was me and my friend and the little girl on the quad is my daughter. Will you e-mail the picture to me please I would like to see it.
Thanks, Tony tmuzyka@verizon.net
Hi Tony,

You have a very cute daughter! As soon as Harry figures how to transfer the photo from the camera to the computer, he'll send it off to you. We'll be at the Currie Open House tomorrow night, and EXPO this weekend, maybe we'll see you there.

Helen
www.pfjv.org