how to get to the sand dunes - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 111241
how to get to the sand dunes

How do i get too the sand dunes at JV? We're taking a trip up there tomorrow with a couple atvs and trucks. We would like to find the dunes but I have only gone to the dry lake bed. Would I get to them off camp rock road? I cant seem to find any info on how to get there.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali-K10 View Post
How do i get too the sand dunes at JV? We're taking a trip up there tomorrow with a couple atvs and trucks. We would like to find the dunes but I have only gone to the dry lake bed. Would I get to them off camp rock road? I cant seem to find any info on how to get there.
Take the Boone Rd entrance to Means dry lake. As you're standing on the lake bed, there are two ways to get to dunes.

As you enter the lakebed, you're generally headed in a direction that if you keep going and veer very slightly right, you will hit a mess of roads that nearly all will take you to the next dry lake bed. Jump on one of them and in a couple of miles you will see the big dunes on your right.

To get to the closer set of dunes, head pretty much straight across the lakebed from where you drop down onto it. As you get almost across, there is a hard sweeping right turn that runs by the only large bush on the bed.

Go by the bush and look towards the hills in front of you. There is a lighter colored low saddle with a road heading up it. Take that and as you crest, stay to the right. It will take you to the backside of the big hill on your right that has dunes on the backside.
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr Mom

Member # 94897
Damn, I didn't even know there were more dunes out there. I go to the closer ones out and to the right on the backside of the rocky hill.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Location: Way closer to the Hammers than you!!! Was Montrose, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenns89 View Post
Damn, I didn't even know there were more dunes out there. I go to the closer ones out and to the right on the backside of the rocky hill.
There's even another good sized group a few miles west/southwest of the lakebed beyond the hills. They aren't as high, but have a few decent jumps...worth going to. They can be seen from the hwy. If you were parked at Boone Rd and 247, they'd be northwest about 4 miles or so. From a distance, you'd see a large area of large clumpy vegetation.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 111241
Sick! Well we'll be there tuseday-wednesday...ill be riding the white raptor with the loud ass pipe in case anyone goes out.

Thanks guys.