What Diesel To use - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
miniyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5963
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 2,770
What Diesel To use

I have a Range Rover P38. My motor has 117K miles on it now. Its anemic on the highway and in town. IT sucks gas like its going out of style. I really don't have a lead foot.

What option would you stick in there if you had the money and time to do it?

I found my dream diesel if I had unlimited funds. The new TDV8 with an 8 speed auto tranny in the new RRS.

http://youtu.be/EqyszLVZl2U

I'm really after some extra power and economy. I know the price of the diesel will probably never pay for itself, but i plan on keeping this vehicle for atleast 5-10 years. I love the vehicle and it works really well for what I use it for.

My biggest gripe is most american diesels heavier then hell for what they are. Most european and japanese diesel engines are lighter in weight and produce decent power and economy. I really don't want my vehicle to weigh much more.

The nice thing with the P38 is the braking system. I won't have to do anything with it to keep it working going to a diesel engine. I should have enough room under the hood to fit a V8 or smaller straight 6. I want to keep the slush box. I prefer them offroad much more then the old stick shifters. I'm lazy and prefer the smoother ride, and my wife doesn't have to worry about shifting gears, she doesn't know how to.

Anyway thanks. looking forward to some help in the decision making.
__________________
2006 F350 Crew Cab 6.0L Powersmoker
1988 RRC Crawler Project

Last edited by miniyota; 04-11-2012 at 09:15 AM.
miniyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Permanent Newb
 
Cooter!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Member # 176672
Location: Crawling up your skirt.
Posts: 781
Get one that goes "clackity, clackity, clackity..."

JK, how about a VW TDI? You would need a custom adaptor at the least, but the motors should be old enough to junkyard, are they're pretty sweet
__________________
Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off-road UA2014 Alumni.
A HUGE thanks to some amazing people and sponsors!
OFFROAD DESIGN, WARN, NITTO, NITRO GEAR, POWER PRODUCTS UNLIMITED, PACIFIC FAB, VOODOO ROPES, BDS SUSPENSION, BANKS POWER, SPEAKER LIGHTS.

Watch this space for Project Ultimate Resurrection 2015!!
Cooter! is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
miniyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5963
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 2,770
Needs to be TDI, but what is out there other then a 4 banger? That won't pull my 6000 lbs rover very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter! View Post
Get one that goes "clackity, clackity, clackity..."

JK, how about a VW TDI? You would need a custom adaptor at the least, but the motors should be old enough to junkyard, are they're pretty sweet
__________________
2006 F350 Crew Cab 6.0L Powersmoker
1988 RRC Crawler Project
miniyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 212466
Location: Scotland
Posts: 529
How much do you wanna spend? have a read of the following;

http://www.bodylogicuk.com/

Some of the site navigation is crap, but basically it's all the electronic kit to put a TDV6 into a P38, or anything else.

Not cheap, but apparently goes as well as the 4.6, and will return 40mpg (imperial) which is pretty stellar for a car that size by any standards.

Click here for the P38 conversion
__________________
Proudly supporting Black Jewish Gays since 2005.

Last edited by DasLandRoverMan; 04-11-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding links
DasLandRoverMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Member # 17378
Location: Yuppyville
Posts: 600
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...sel-conversion
__________________
Lucas trucks are usually dead simple to figure out, there aren't many things to go wrong with them.
Mercedesrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 212466
Location: Scotland
Posts: 529
Ya mean This one?
__________________
Proudly supporting Black Jewish Gays since 2005.
DasLandRoverMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 42753
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyota View Post
Needs to be TDI, but what is out there other then a 4 banger? That won't pull my 6000 lbs rover very well.
Why wouldn't a four banger pull your 6000lb rover very well? There are 4 bangers that shift trucks grossing over 8 ton with no problems.

Your options are the BMW diesels the P38 came with and it's variants, the merc diesels of similar size, a plethoria of euro van diesels, the Isuzu 4BD1T and newer euro V6 and V8 tdi's.

How much you want to spend and what sort of work you can do yourself will dictate what is suitable.
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
miniyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5963
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 2,770
The diesel that came in the P38 isn't the best. It has head issues if you add any extra boost and fuel.

I want something strong powerful and reliable.

I wonder if a powerstroke or duramax would fit. Although, i'd have to replace the whole drivetrain then.
__________________
2006 F350 Crew Cab 6.0L Powersmoker
1988 RRC Crawler Project
miniyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Discosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 10313
Location: IL & W CO
Posts: 1,057
Cummins 4BT

They put 'em in modern LC's and Jeep XJ's all the time
__________________
The road to nowhere
...leads to me.
Discosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Texas by GOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69765
Location: Fort Worthless, TX
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyota View Post
The diesel that came in the P38 isn't the best. It has head issues if you add any extra boost and fuel.

I want something strong powerful...

then why swap? you will lose the gain...

VW 1.9 TDI would be fine.

Why do you think that the euros cry for V8's? because they have more powa.

you could swap in a BMW M52 whatever gasser too for a slight MPG improvement...
__________________
~ Kyle
1999 Land Rover Discovery II - Lift, Tires, Axles, Stuff. /forum/land-rover/924588-my-d2-axle-swap-thread.html

Last edited by Kyle_T; 04-11-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 49032
Location: Victoria,BC Canada
Posts: 306
Merc om617 say no more.. I'll let you know how mine works out soon.
franko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 212466
Location: Scotland
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_T View Post
VW 1.9 TDI would be fine.
You're funny.

Not sure which variation of the engine you're suggesting (20 odd years of production) but even the 120bhp engines would be pretty naff in a P38

Sure it's a good lump, the wife and I had a (2001) Sharan with one that still went well with 180k miles on it, but whilst it was a good engine in that car, it delivers all its power/torque in the wrong place for it to be any good in a Range Rover.

The TDV6 and TDV8 are both possibilities if you've got enough of a budget to buy the electronics to run it.
Appareently it's possible to build a TDV6 P38 for about 7k, including buying the car to start.
__________________
Proudly supporting Black Jewish Gays since 2005.
DasLandRoverMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 42753
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyota View Post
The diesel that came in the P38 isn't the best. It has head issues if you add any extra boost and fuel.
If you add boost and fuel in the wrong way then you can kill most diesels. But I understand BMW made a lot of engines in that size/configuration. Is there a Di version around 3 litres but not common-rail as used in the early L322's?

Isuzu 4BD1T to P38 swap in progress on 4BTswaps
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 212466
Location: Scotland
Posts: 529
The 3 litre as found in the L322 has been put in a couple of P38's in the UK.

RallyRaid UK developed a control system to use the engine in their 'Desert Warrior' cars, and it was used on the P38 conversions. Appareently transforms the diesel version from lame plodder into something pretty decent to drive.
__________________
Proudly supporting Black Jewish Gays since 2005.
DasLandRoverMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Member # 90047
Location: England
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyota View Post
I have a Range Rover P38. My motor has 117K miles on it now. Its anemic on the highway and in town. IT sucks gas like its going out of style. I really don't have a lead foot.

What option would you stick in there if you had the money and time to do it?

I found my dream diesel if I had unlimited funds. The new TDV8 with an 8 speed auto tranny in the new RRS.

http://youtu.be/EqyszLVZl2U

I'm really after some extra power and economy. I know the price of the diesel will probably never pay for itself, but i plan on keeping this vehicle for atleast 5-10 years. I love the vehicle and it works really well for what I use it for.

My biggest gripe is most american diesels heavier then hell for what they are. Most european and japanese diesel engines are lighter in weight and produce decent power and economy. I really don't want my vehicle to weigh much more.

The nice thing with the P38 is the braking system. I won't have to do anything with it to keep it working going to a diesel engine. I should have enough room under the hood to fit a V8 or smaller straight 6. I want to keep the slush box. I prefer them offroad much more then the old stick shifters. I'm lazy and prefer the smoother ride, and my wife doesn't have to worry about shifting gears, she doesn't know how to.

Anyway thanks. looking forward to some help in the decision making.
As Brit in Blighty, I seriously don't understand why you'd want a diesel instead of a petrol ("gas" V8).

Ok the old Rover lump isn't the best, but a 4.6 should be ok and would likely match most modern diesel offerings in performance unless you go for something very wild and expensive.


Personally I think a Chevy LS1/2 would be the answer. It'd likely hook up fairly hassle free to the current drivetrain, likely offer up better mpg and give you a huge HP gain, maybe by 200hp or so depending on exact spec.

I can't believe there is a single diesel option that would work even a fraction as well and actually be worth the hassle, time and money to fit and get working.

Duramaxes and Cummin's are great, but they are HUGE and heavy, and while they make loads of torque, they are unlikely to be making as much HP as a 6.0 LS2 unless you tune them to transmission grenading levels. And realistically how much better mpg would something like a 6.6 Duramax really be over a petrol LS?


Tdi??? Did someone really suggest a Tdi
__________________
A few vehicles from 0.7 litres to 5.7 litres.... 3., 6 and 8 cylinder options too.
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 139345
Location: Kingman, KS
Posts: 553
4-53t Detroit Diesel /Thread.
__________________
95 Land Rover Disco, 85 SJ410 Tin Top, 81 Isuzu Pup Diesel
94 Blazer 6.5TD, 69 Nissan Patrol
KungFooMASTA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Member # 179350
Location: Alberta, Canada. AKA 'The Frozen North'
Posts: 294
Didn't someone just have a thread about a P38 with a 6.2 GM Diesel on here?

Not that I would recommend that engine at all but it is fairly conclusive from that thread that you can get most any obsolete oil burner to fit in a P38.

I will save you the three to four pages of discussion and fast forward to the inevitable conclusion, just fix the engine that came with the car! It is the only option that makes any financial sense no matter how long you own the vehicle. Or, if you really must swap in something that doesn't belong, shove a SBC between the rails.

The installation of any diesel engine, even a modern one, will not magically transform the old Rangie into a fuel miser. The full time 4WD, live axles, transfer case and lego inspired aerodynamics will see to that.

Even Land Rover themselves can't figure out how to make a proper Range Rover get decent fuel mileage. The only thing they came up with so far is a badge engineered Freelander. They call it the "Range Rover Evoke".

If you want an available Diesel powered four door SUV that is relatively powerful, comfortable and economical, Jeep will have a Diesel option on next years Grand Cherokee.....perhaps even in the next gen wranglers too?

It will work much better and probably end up being cheaper than converting a XX year old, generally acknowledged to be troublesome, P38 RR to diesel power using an old obsolete engine. Plus you will have a warranty.

My 2c.
__________________
"Camp Freddie, everybody in the world is bent" Mr Bridger. 1969. The Italian Job
Mr Bridger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Member # 88052
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter! View Post
Get one that goes "clackity, clackity, clackity..."

JK, how about a VW TDI? You would need a custom adaptor at the least, but the motors should be old enough to junkyard, are they're pretty sweet
how about 2 VW TDIs? mount them one in front of the other for a straight 8. or oil pan to oilpan for a boxxer 8. I love all guys that want to convert their Rover to diesel. When they have never driven one. My next upgrade for my 90 is a nice big V8 so i can actually go somewhere fast on the autoroute!
BigBlueToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 42753
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bridger View Post
Didn't someone just have a thread about a P38 with a 6.2 GM Diesel on here?

Not that I would recommend that engine at all but it is fairly conclusive from that thread that you can get most any obsolete oil burner to fit in a P38.

I will save you the three to four pages of discussion and fast forward to the inevitable conclusion, just fix the engine that came with the car! It is the only option that makes any financial sense no matter how long you own the vehicle. Or, if you really must swap in something that doesn't belong, shove a SBC between the rails.

The installation of any diesel engine, even a modern one, will not magically transform the old Rangie into a fuel miser. The full time 4WD, live axles, transfer case and lego inspired aerodynamics will see to that.

Even Land Rover themselves can't figure out how to make a proper Range Rover get decent fuel mileage. The only thing they came up with so far is a badge engineered Freelander. They call it the "Range Rover Evoke".

If you want an available Diesel powered four door SUV that is relatively powerful, comfortable and economical, Jeep will have a Diesel option on next years Grand Cherokee.....perhaps even in the next gen wranglers too?

It will work much better and probably end up being cheaper than converting a XX year old, generally acknowledged to be troublesome, P38 RR to diesel power using an old obsolete engine. Plus you will have a warranty.

My 2c.
The current TDV8's with the ZF 8 speed allegedly burn 6 litres/100km on a flat highway cruise. That's pretty impressive, but you can buy about 4 diesel Hyundai hatchbacks for the same money that can half that number in the same conditions.

The want for a diesel engine isn't usually something you can talk people out of. You can show a diesel head the coolest petrol engine in the world. They'll go "yeah, that's nice, but it's not a diesel".
It's like the blonde vs brunette thing.
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 212466
Location: Scotland
Posts: 529
It's true.

Personally I'm a great lover of the petrol V8, but the economics of running a vehicle every day means all my Land Rovers are diesel.

The big problem that's always haunted diesel swaps, especially car such as 2 door Range Rovers in the 80's, is finding a decent engine to swop in, that isn't some god awful boat anchor that completely ruins the car.

There were a few good ones, but equally as many that were just horrible and should have been left were they were.
Quaintly, one of the best was the late six cylinder Ford York diesel with a Bosch pump and heater plugs to aid starting.
Not that well renowned in the Ford trucks it was originally fitted to, but made a diesel Range Rover a nice place to be.

One just has to be sure what one is doing when considering a potential engine choice.
Worth considering, is the guy who just spent $6k fitting X engine to his vehicle really gonna want to admit its a dud and that he shouldn't have bothered? Or will he make out its pretty good to save face?

Worth adding, I'm not at all dissapointed with the 3.5 litre Mazda 4 pot that replaced the V8 in the wifes 110. What makes it even better is I bought the engine and gearbox (with exhaust, sitting in a rolling chassis) for 600, and got 100 back weighing in the scrap I didn't want.

Probably go nicely in a P38 too.
__________________
Proudly supporting Black Jewish Gays since 2005.
DasLandRoverMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 42753
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasLandRoverMan View Post
It's true.

Personally I'm a great lover of the petrol V8, but the economics of running a vehicle every day means all my Land Rovers are diesel.

The big problem that's always haunted diesel swaps, especially car such as 2 door Range Rovers in the 80's, is finding a decent engine to swop in, that isn't some god awful boat anchor that completely ruins the car.

There were a few good ones, but equally as many that were just horrible and should have been left were they were.
Quaintly, one of the best was the late six cylinder Ford York diesel with a Bosch pump and heater plugs to aid starting.
Not that well renowned in the Ford trucks it was originally fitted to, but made a diesel Range Rover a nice place to be.

One just has to be sure what one is doing when considering a potential engine choice.
Worth considering, is the guy who just spent $6k fitting X engine to his vehicle really gonna want to admit its a dud and that he shouldn't have bothered? Or will he make out its pretty good to save face?

Worth adding, I'm not at all dissapointed with the 3.5 litre Mazda 4 pot that replaced the V8 in the wifes 110. What makes it even better is I bought the engine and gearbox (with exhaust, sitting in a rolling chassis) for 600, and got 100 back weighing in the scrap I didn't want.

Probably go nicely in a P38 too.
Shame the UK never saw the Isuzu 3.9 turbo 4BD1T. The irony is the US has plenty of them and plenty of classic rangies, but as far as I am aware the swap has never been done in the US.
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20109
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
, but as far as I am aware the swap has never been done in the US.
Sure it has. It is not a simple swap though as the adapter parts are not easily available.
__________________
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]1991 D90 ex-MOD[/COLOR][/SIZE]
red90rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
miniyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5963
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 2,770
Weight is definately a deciding factor. I'm thinking a straight six, V6 or V8 turbo diesel.

I see there are also some V8 toyota diesels.
__________________
2006 F350 Crew Cab 6.0L Powersmoker
1988 RRC Crawler Project
miniyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 42753
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by red90rover View Post
Sure it has. It is not a simple swap though as the adapter parts are not easily available.
Do tell.
The only one I've heard of was the disco 2.

Plenty of 4BT landrovers and defenders. But that's a very different swap.

Last edited by Dougal; 04-16-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 121293
Location: Chelsea, OK
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyota View Post
I want something strong powerful and reliable.

I wonder if a powerstroke or duramax would fit. Although, i'd have to replace the whole drivetrain then.
I'm partial to the Duramax and if you keep on your toes they can even be had for a reasonable price. There is a complete running LB7 on CL locally for $1,650 right now and I gave $1,899 for my LLY/Allison/261XHD with 90k. The only downfall is all of the electronics, but I figured out how to transplant one and make it run and I had never even so much as checked the oil in one prior to purchasing mine. They produce good mileage, power and longevity, something that is very difficult to do with a gasser.
__________________
'85 4wd S10, ECLB with an '05 LLY Duramax/Allison, Locked 1 ton's, air-ride, 38's, & twin 241'.s
DieselS10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.