engine,trans,xfer ? swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2003, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10336
engine,trans,xfer ? swap

I'm have a 90(1995) with an engine in need of a rebuild. I would like to build it for rock crawling, but would like to drive on street. I have a 5.0,aod and a dana 300 sitting in my garage. In my mind I have 4 options( I know there are many more),but I'll stick with 4. 1) Rebuild 3.9, keep r380, add Ashcroft crawler box, keep 3.54. gives me about 105 to 1( I would like to know how they get 116 to 1 from 3.32x 8.933x3.54) in low and 3.53 in final drive cost $4500.00-I do all my labor. 2) 5.0,aod,adapter,lt230, crawler box,3.54. 76 to 1 low and 2.894 to 1 final. cost $4500.00. 3) 5.0, aod, adapter, dana 300, 4.10, driveshafts, cut and center rover rear. 40 to 1 low and 2.747 to 1 final. 4) chevy I would sell what I have and go chevy engine, turbo 350, dual xfer and something for the rear, cut rover or someting else. Know that I do have 2 sets off rover wheels stock and mrt aluminum bead locks,also I like the rear disc brakes, I though about changing the rear but that was even more $$. I have been driving myself crazy for weeks and would like somebody to help.. Didn't want to spend more than 5k. I have many?'s but the two main ones 1) crawl ratio-105 stick or 76 auto, is 40 to 1 enough, how much more would the axels like the auto over the stick(breaking) 2) stength which is stonger
boxerhips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2003, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9768
Depends....How big of tire are you running/planning to run. Of 35 or less I'd go SBC/NV4500/LT230 and beef upo the rover axles. If you plan to run over 35" tires, well look into Doug M, Bill R. or Timm C. truck s for ideas.

-Jeff

Oh yea, welcome newbie
Old 07-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 12663
Send a message via AIM to Leafsprung
Budget

Sell the whole mess and buy a nicely built FJ, Bronco etc. Defender and budget rockcrawler really dont get along well in the same sentance. You will be time and money ahead to sell it off and buy a nice truck.
-Regards
-Ike Goss
Old 07-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9768
Ike has a good point. Build a buggy from a fullsize Umerrycan truck, remove the body and attach some rover body panels. Basically do what Sam (crazy ass Ozzy guy) has done but use a domestic platform. For the $ you will get from selling your D90 you should have $ to spare when it is all said and done.

-Jeff
Old 07-12-2003, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10336
Newbie, yeah. I have a 1973 EB(early bron-co), with 302 with 35's and 5.5 lift, now. Had a FJ40, didn't like it at all. If going with SBC, what xfer's would I use(ass-u-me I use 2 ). Do I waste $$ money on Rover rear? What rear that has a center diff is the closest to D90 width? I would like to go with auto if I have to start from scatch. Thanks Tim
Old 07-14-2003, 07:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9396
Good idea, Use local metal for the truck, and pick up some cheap (series) panels to give it the LR look.

Gotta be cheaper.

Warning, spellchecker is switched off, gramma may be errotic.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2003, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21539
you can use the 727auto from the scout.
buy the adapter from aa and use a chevy engine.
the autobox should fit both the dana 300 and lt230
t-box
oivinberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2003, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10336
I think that the 727 only will go with th BW transfer case. Ashcroft does not make their crawler box anymore. That sucks. Now we " Rover fools" need to really get on Mr. Timm Cooper about his (bcboffroad.com). I'm starting to think dual transfer is the way to go, mabee a 203/205 with th lt230. Who can make an adapter? Tim
Old 07-28-2003, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Sounds like you reaaaallly want to keep your Rover...Well to tell you the truth, I loved mine so much I'm beating her to death, and thinking of more evil plans to boot. Smart way to go? Nah...But it is fun!

Take it from me...If your plans are to keep the Rover while doing SOME moderate trial runs (with a max 37" MTR) , then go for the 302 swap. You'll love the power...

If you want a serious crawler that can handle anything in the country...Then be prepared to PAY or, be prepared to tube her out beyond the point of recognition.

I'm way past the point of no return, so I'm in a situation were I get to decide the ultimate fate of my 90 without too much fear of reproach...I think Camo said it best when asked if he would start from a vehicle platform or start with a manuf. chassis....His answer was start with a manuf. chassis....Too many compromises when dealing with a built platform.

Me? I don't like body-damage...So more tube is in my very near future. I can see my rig becoming like SG's very soon. Too bad...So sad.

--D

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.