Radiators - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2003, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Exclamation Radiators

Is a rad. out of an 88 RRC ($350 new) same as a 90 RRC($800 new)? I think I need a new rad. Since the 4.2L went in it gets hot going up hill. I changed out the Thermostat and it still gets hot
I was also thinking about getting it cleaned out at a rad. shop.

In loving memory of Madelyn Rose Ekhilevsky
04/17/04 - 12/08/08
vova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12499
The radiator for the 88 is much smaller (thinner) than the later model years, although I'm not certain when that change happened, apparently sometime between 88 and 90.

The radiator on my 88 Rangie appears to only be a two row and does not have provisions for the tranny or oil coolers.

Be aware that when you order a new one, be sure to tell them that you know of a person who ordered five and four of them were delivered damaged! I went through hell to get a radiator delivered to me. I would not suggest trying to have one delivered from the UK as the most damage occurred in that route.

FWIW, the best prices I have seen were from Motorcars ltd. I paid $500 for mine for my Disco. The price to recore locally was $7.00 more than a new one from Atlantic British! I am the reason that Discount Rovers won't sell you a radiator (three of the five came from them, from the UK).

Peace,
Paul

Last edited by PTSchram; 07-16-2003 at 01:34 PM.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2003, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13704
Send a message via AIM to ABrooks
The radiators are completely different due to the oil and tranny coolers, and consequently the 89 (that I think is the same through '94) is a lot more expensive. In fact, my '89 is sitting at the local radiator place now. Took it in for a rodding, and to quote the people at the shop: "the sludge may be the only thing holding it together . . ."

Go to perfomanceradiator.com, I ordered a new one from them this morning for $372 shipped, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than either a new one or a recore. Their web ordering thingy sucks, just call Scott (at the PA location) on 800.654.4576.

Good luck,

Tony
ABrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Quote:
Originally posted by ABrooks
The radiators are completely different due to the oil and tranny coolers, and consequently the 89 (that I think is the same through '94) is a lot more expensive. In fact, my '89 is sitting at the local radiator place now. Took it in for a rodding, and to quote the people at the shop: "the sludge may be the only thing holding it together . . ."

Go to perfomanceradiator.com, I ordered a new one from them this morning for $372 shipped, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than either a new one or a recore. Their web ordering thingy sucks, just call Scott (at the PA location) on 800.654.4576.

Good luck,

Tony
called them up and i guess for the deal you got I need to go throught the online ordering.
Sounds like a great deal. Thanks for the info

In loving memory of Madelyn Rose Ekhilevsky
04/17/04 - 12/08/08
vova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Man, I thought that I was the reason Discount Rovers no longer sells radiators. It was a freaking disaster!

The first one I got was the wrong one (early version w/o oil cooler fittings). The second one i got was the correct one, but started to leak around the solder joints for the oil cooler after a month or so. Third one I got started doing the same thing after a couple of weeks. Finally I gave up and had mine recored with a new 5-row core for $370. So far so good.

I still have the one I got from the UK sitting in my garage...I've been trying to get my money back for it, but so far no luck. Really, it can be fixed easily now that its out of the truck, but I have just had it.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14084
Ever think of ditching the radiator and getting a Turbo Fan???There's a write up of a guy doing that on D-90's website. Looked intereseting and I'm guessing is a lot cheaper than ta new radiator...
Just my 2Cents....
Ben
TyziskBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11606
Send a message via ICQ to ChevRangie
disco s1 radiators are even better

here in OZ
fitting a series 1 disco radiator to a Rangie with a 4.4 Leyland or 350 Chevy engine seems to do the trick for cooling.
Maybe it might be looking at one these.

Some wreckers over here sell good used ones for around $200 au
ChevRangie is offline   Reply With Quote