DISCO ABS question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19837
DISCO ABS question

I have a 96 Disco witht he ABS light on all the time. The pump does not work. No money to replace the pump. The light will go out when the truck is nose down. When the light goes out the brake booster seems to go out also. I get a low firm pedal for a few minutes then the light comes back on and all is well. Is there a way to bypass the ABS pump for the short term? Any ideas?

David Dearborn
Atlanta GA
www.urbanlandcruisers.com
TLCA Associate member

Got a question, need an opinion, do you love puppies, just want to talk or stage a cage match? For all of these issues and more PM Mark, 65SWB45.
dd113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17053
Have you checked that the rear sensors are not blocked?

On a Defender 110, the front sensors are enclosed in the svivel balls, but the rears are exposed. Som fiddling to remove stones, mud and grass from behind the rear brake shields fixed my ABS. You will know roughly where to look if you follow the ABS sensor cable to where it enters the hub/brake assembly.

Range Rover 4.6 Vogue 2001 - still shiny
Defender 110 CSW Td5 2001 - expedition/radical family wheeling
Suzuki LJ80 1982 - "Standard" trialer
Volvo C304/Tgb 13 6X6, portals, on 35" - stocker

"Grammar is the body language of the internet."
The Pendy
wilsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2003, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10732
email gerberlr@hotmail.com and ask him how to disable your disco ABS by pulling fuses. He posted about this recently somewhere.

Flush your fluid and bleed it to remove any chance of a simple and cheap fix.. does the pump not work or is it not getting the work signal from a lack of pressure in the system. Accumulators do alot for pressure too.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
If you want to disable your disco's ABS system, you need to pull 2 fuses in the underhood fuse pod. This will keep your ABS light on, so if this bothers you, remove that as well. This will not affect your braking in any way other than disabling the ABS -- the discos do not rely on the ABS pump for brake boosting like the eariler RRs do.

The reason you need to pull the under hood fuses and not the fuse in the main fuse panel is this -- pulling the fuse in the main panel will set off your check engine light on a regular basis (on OBD2 vehicles)--a real pain in the ass IMO.

Last edited by darkstar; 08-09-2003 at 09:22 AM.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Gee, I didn't need to pull any fuses, and my Anti-lock light keeps me company

Burn up a handful of alternators and you won't need to worry about ABS, nor air-bags!
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18821
I have a 96 - and I pulled the 5-amp fuse from the in-cab fuse block. I did not pull any fuses under the hood.

My obd-II computer never tripped the check engine light from this condition (I know a few peeps first hand that have also done this, pulled the inside 5-amp with no computer code probs).

Just one for the ' FWIW dept.'

oh, and i don't really mind the yellow ABS light - it goes well with my lil red SRS light.. 8P
MPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Maybe its a 97-up thing. My 98 would set off the MIL every day with only the inside fuse pulled