Pirate 4x4 banner

Tour de rocks

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  evilscrambler 
#1 · (Edited)
Saw an interesting rover this weekend. It was at an event in New Hampshire called the Tour De Rocks. "Rockcrawling" event for the average joe. Rules put those with 33's with no penalty. 40 inch tires were the maximum, but had penalty points. Awful lot of fun to watch.
The Rover was a Range rover frame that had been cut down, so that a tub from an 88 could fit. Had Defender body trimmings. I was told he had 10 spline axles, but seeing the abuse it took, I'm not convinced its true. I'm posting a movie link of it below. I was at the spot. He ended up with a hole in his front diff, yet still ran.
His "style" was aggressive to say the least. Second link, is a jeep, but gives you an idea of the terrain.
The rover guy was the most abusive to his vehicle, that I saw in the competition....very impressed the truck survived the flogging.

.rover
Jacobs ladder
This event was the first of the kind in the area....hope its a sign
of things to come....the event was done very well.
You guys out west probably get to see this stuff all the time...not the case in the east.:rolleyes:

:edit: crap!!! looks like the links are temporarily down. Probably too many hits.[rover

See less See more
#4 ·
sachilles said:

why on earth is this link thing not working for me today...worked for the one above
It's the - in the url.

#8 ·
#9 ·
rover4x4 said:
wow pretty cool. I wonder if that thing was locked?
It is not locked in front cuz it never spins the right front when he is hammering it, unless he broke the front right CV or halfshaft. Nice shifting as well on the audio portion.:rolleyes:

Billster

#11 ·
Not sure if he did this to the rover, but I overheard talking to some toyota guys about welding up there diffs a certain way, so it would get a little spin before it locked up.
He did hammer the truck, and it did finish the competition. It had at least another 20 minutes on the trail with terrain nearly rocky as the video. Only damage that kept him from going was a flat tire.
However, I wouldn't be a bit suprised if more stuff was broken.
His front bumper took a beating. His body work took a beating and his front diff ended up with a hole on the bottom.

-Seth

#12 ·
the front end in that rig is open. it belongs to a buddy of mine up here.
if it was locked he would be breaking it all the time. not that he doesn't with it open.
he imports them i believe and does restos and what not.

i was at the tour as well, if anyone hears about it next year i would recomend going and checking it out or running in it, it was a blast.
sully

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.