Arrrggghg! Rangie going IFR/IFS - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2001, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3547
Arrrggghg! Rangie going IFR/IFS

According to the Feb Fourwheeler, Rangie is going IFS/IFR in 2003.

Guess that makes the decision easy...it'll just have to be a G500 then !

man, this is truly sad. Way sadder than the Jeep guys bemoaning the move, since the KJ sucks with or withiout IFS, and others need upgraded axles anyway...but the Rangie was world class out of the box

BillaVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
it may be IS, but it is supposed to be the best IFS/IRS system ever produced. as much, if not more flex than the current edition. and dude, come awn! are you really going to wheel a $85k vehicle to the point where it NEEDS a solid axle?
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2001, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3547
Quote:
it may be IS, but it is supposed to be the best IFS/IRS system ever produced
Well, I'd believe that. But along the same lines, how much "smoother" does it need to be over the current solid axle Rangie, G, or hell, even the Jeep WJ.

Quote:
! are you really going to wheel a $85k vehicle to the point where it NEEDS a solid axle
Well, it's not just the wheeling ability, but the simple rugged reliability...less bushings and joints and CV shafts and such to maintain.

And, no - I wouldn't wheel it that hard off the lot.....but 15 years from now when I could afford a used one....I gues 02 will be the last year I'd look at.

There are plenty of guys around with Rangies that do need the solid front, but probably took a few years to get there.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
Quote:
Originally posted by BillaVista
There are plenty of guys around with Rangies that do need the solid front, but probably took a few years to get there.
yeah, i agree, cause im one of them. but to wheel a truck like that hard enough even 15 years down the road, well it would still be tough. cause all this super high tech crap that will be coming on it will still be super high tech (EXPENSIVE) crap then. i wheel an 87 range rover pretty damn hard for what it is, and the solid axle kicks ass. i also had the oppurtunity to ride in and drive occasionally a 1997 range rover that went everywhere you pointed it. impressed soooo many people with built jeeps and defenders.

it will be the end of an era, but i think that its for the best. with the TJ Rubicon coming out next year, i think that LR will have some serious competition for the defender and will have to bring out a similar edition D90.
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3547
Quote:
and will have to bring out a similar edition D90.
OMIGOSH, can you imagine......that would be very sweet indeed.

I can only dream about a dual elctric locker 4:1 cased D110 from the factory....but it should have 4.56 and 33's to beat the Jeep

Bill
Old 01-10-2002, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Send a message via AIM to Rover Addiction
I am skeptical about the 4-wheel independant as well. I liked the solid axle design and I think they should keep it. However, this is good for the wheelers here because the last generation will now be much cheaper since they made so many changes to the new one! I had a 99 4.6 HSE for a little while and that thing rocked!! I was able to embarass many Heeps and discos and even stock D90s with the pushbutton lift and traction control. Hopefully someday I'll be able to afford another one. The only downside is that the electronics are so complicated and expensive that it's going to be a pain to modify or work on.

but, if you want it bad enough, it can be done!!!

Oh yeah, and look at www.safarigard.com for the Kalahari edition Disco. If they do this, it'll be absolutely SWEET!!!! And once they realize there's a market for it, maybe they'll build a diecent new Defender!!!

-J