small block chevy into d-90 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2004, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27920
small block chevy into d-90

I imagine it has been Done, Yes!
I just bought an 87 x-millitary d-90 with 2.5 diesel with lots of hours on it. I can get it up to hiway speed with a tail wind. The motor is getting ready to give up i think and am looking to upgrade it. Are there any kit's to do this? a stock small block chevy would be nice.I am in Canada and there are not many defenders up here at all!
jusumbude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8768
S
Old 03-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13412
E
Old 03-13-2004, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8768
A
Old 03-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
X
64rovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25966
And what is wrong with a LR V8/tranny? I researched to heck motor options for a 110 buildup from scratch. Then I purchased a 93 RR LWB (4.2) with a mild cam. Plenty of power!

Then came a 97 D90 (4.0). Again, plenty of power! A 4.2 with a ZF in a 110 is the way I'm going.

Why go through this kind of custom conversion to perhaps not be satisfied in the end? At least you know that a LR setup is tested. Go drive one and you may find the performance perfectly fine - and your money better spent elsewhere.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13412
Quote:
Originally posted by ArtM
Then I purchased a 93 RR LWB (4.2) with a mild cam. Plenty of power!

Then came a 97 D90 (4.0). Again, plenty of power!
Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!

...and Janet Reno is a fine looking woman

On second thought, why modify your Land Rover at all? I mean, it's the best 4x4xfar straight from the factory

Last edited by DieLucas!; 03-13-2004 at 10:35 PM.
DieLucas! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25966
Sure, why don't we all just jump to that conclusion. Lots of sense!

Come on, if you can't be satisfied with the power from a 4.2 or 4.6 then go get a different truck. I can see changing to diesel for its benefits, and sticking with LR product, but to go with a Chevy and all its associated work? For what?

I an easily reach 100 on the road. If you want to plow through any trail with horsepower sure go ahead - even with a LR motor. Lots of skill there!
The only "benefit" I see is cheaper motor replacement but how often do you do that? It's not as if there's a shortage of LR motors out there so this benefit fades.

Granted, if I came across a SBC RR I would consider purchasing it since the cost has already been absorbed. I've been in an Overfinch RR and there is noticeable pep. There's also custom shocks, springs and other parts to worry about. Try getting those nowadays. Good luck changing the distributor, too!

Go drive a LR V8 before you dismiss it.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17655
link to a similar thread by me.
Plenty of info you can use.

Its your truck....do what ever makes you happy.
-97 Audi A4 1.8tq
and an 81 Cj-8 project
sachilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 27836
Send a message via AIM to SeerTyr
v8 D90

I have two 4.2 RR's and I'm content with the power they put out. Course they are relatively stock. I can only conclude that DieLucas is wanting to push huge tires, at big speed in which case the sbc makes a bunch of sense., but for me, i'm a 'low and slow' kinda off road explorer, not a bog basher so the 4.2's work just fine.

And as for Janet Reno, I heard once that some of the FBI guys had real trouble looking at her when they had to talk to her heheheh

seer
2-91MitsuGen1's
5 FSJ GrandWagoneers
90 "DodgeZilla" W350 5spdCummins.
3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird, 35 horses :)
SeerTyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13876
LS1? Bueler?
Old 03-14-2004, 12:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9426
Send a message via AIM to Diesel Jim Send a message via MSN to Diesel Jim
Quote:
And as for Janet Reno, I heard once that some of the FBI guys had real trouble looking at her when they had to talk to her heheheh
who is this woman then? never heard of her (here in the UK).

must be a "looker" then?

just did a google search..... man she's UGLY!

Last edited by Diesel Jim; 03-14-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Diesel Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Quote:
Go drive a LR V8 before you dismiss it.
Go drive a LR powered with a 350 before you go dissmissing it.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 13412
Quote:
The only "benefit" I see is cheaper motor replacement but how often do you do that?
If this is the only benefit you see, then the blind must be leading the blind...

With an SBC comes the greatest benefit of all: choice.
Your choice of: block, heads, crankshaft, camshaft, lifters, rods, pistons, induction, exhaust, water pumps, oil pumps, oil sumps, bearings, gaskets, etc, etc, etc.

Not to mention, some reliability, cheaper parts, and the ability to find these parts anytime, anywhere, off the shelf from economical replacements to high-performance replacements.

[edit: BTW, if I had a SBC in my RR instead of a gutless 3.5, I'd be driving it right now instead of waiting even longer due to a stoopid custom-ordered screw-up ]

Last edited by DieLucas!; 03-14-2004 at 01:09 PM.
DieLucas! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9768
Quote:
Originally posted by DieLucas!

If this is the only benefit you see, then the blind must be leading the blind...

With an SBC comes the greatest benefit of all: choice.
Your choice of: block, heads, crankshaft, camshaft, lifters, rods, pistons, induction, exhaust, water pumps, oil pumps, oil sumps, bearings, gaskets, etc, etc, etc.

Not to mention, some reliability, cheaper parts, and the ability to find these parts anytime, anywhere, off the shelf from economical replacements to high-performance replacements.

[edit: BTW, if I had a SBC in my RR instead of a gutless 3.5, I'd be driving it right now instead of waiting even longer due to a stoopid custom-ordered screw-up ]

Fuel consumption is also a factor. My wife's 6.0L suburban gets better milage than my RR. Granted on my project, running a Q-jet wont beat the RR but it will match it.

As for Reliability, the SBC doesn't have a reputation for sticky valves, blown head gaskets, or overheating issues.

And lastly, when it comes to chrome bolt on's, the Rover V8 just can't compete!

-Jeff
Old 03-14-2004, 02:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Quote:
Originally posted by JSBriggs
And lastly, when it comes to chrome bolt on's, the Rover V8 just can't compete!
Reminds me of a quote I heard an old Hot-Rodder say to me recently.

"If it don't GO, chrome it!".

Old 03-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
RPR

Member # 23613
Of course not...

Quote:
As for Reliability, the SBC doesn't have a reputation for ....overheating issues.
Of course not.
Parabolic/C303 Portal Axle Suspension
...and a F/A '99 D1
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25966
I believe I said the only benefit is motor replacement. By that I meant motor/parts replacement.

Choice: There are plenty of mods available for the Rover motors, not the least are RPI's offerings. And yes, you can get cheaper replacement parts since many are "Buick compatible". We all have our lists of non-Rover replacements just in case. I have a Crane mild cam in my 4.2 - gee, how about that, a cheap generic replacement for a Rover motor with a performance gain?!

Reliability: Sure, SBC's last forever without problems! They do overheat. Rover's sticky valve problem is not universal, and avoidable. Blown gaskets and overheating are solvable problems. If you're going to keep it simple with a carb then you forgo all the EFI problems but you can do that just as effectively on the Rover.

Better mileage: Will you ever recover the cost of the installation from that benefit, if in fact it is real? I doubt it. If yes, is it worth going through all the trouble to get the perfect ride with a SBC? I doubt it. I doubt you can get it right the first time with this conversion on a D90. As I said, I've been in an Overfinch RR and it is not without its problems.

Finally, let's not compare the "gutless" 3.5 to the 4.0/4.2.

Does one really need more than 250HP from a Defender? If yes then you bought the wrong truck. Of course, if you are in the 37" tire crowd then these arguments are moot. I doubt that jusumbude - the original poster - is in this league. He may simply want to go from a puny, tired 2.5 diesel to something with more pep. That does not mean axle busting pep from a SBC, not to mention compromised suspension and an out of balance truck.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Quote:
Does one really need more than 250HP from a Defender? If yes then you bought the wrong truck.
ACCORDING TO WHO?

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtM Of course, if you are in the 37" tire crowd then these arguments are moot. [/B]
I don't run big tires and I love my 350. I have 31's on my S1, and it's got a 283. Who says that high horsepower and big tires HAVE to go together?

Quote:
[i]I doubt that jusumbude - the original poster - is in this league. He may simply want to go from a puny, tired 2.5 diesel to something with more pep. That does not mean axle busting pep from a SBC, not to mention compromised suspension and an out of balance truck. [/B]
Just because you run a SBC doesn't mean you're going to break axles. It does mean that you CAN break axles, but it's all up to the grey matter between your ears and using your right foot judiciously.

Also, if you're going to call anything 'gutless', I propose that it is the Rover V8 that is 'gutless'. In ANY variant.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 9817
if you don't want to break axles and fear the torque, just drop in a 4.3L chebby vortec V6. A complete motor can be had for $750 and its the same bolt pattern as a 350.

oh yeah - and it still makes more power than the rover V8.

i'm happy with the 3.9 for the way i use my rig - which is cursing at it while it sits on jackstands.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 13412
Quote:
Choice: There are plenty of mods available for the Rover motors, not the least are RPI's offerings.
Bullsh!t. There are NOT plenty of mods for a Rover engine...sorry, but while there are options for the Rover/Buick, the range of options pale in comparison to what's available for a SBC. If you fail to see the point in that, then I encourage you to list the Rover options, at the very least from RPi (overrated, overpriced, overseas )

Maybe you should pick up a Summit or Jegs catalogue and see just how many options are immediately available for a Rover...
Old 03-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 9817
i guess it depends on what you mean by "mod".

a rover V8 is just a small displacement, 2 valve gas huffer. just because there's a jillion bolt-ons for SBC doesn't make it any less of a POS!

Can you port the heads? yes. can you stroke it? yes. Can you bore it? not really. can you extrude hone the intake and port match the heads? yes. can it be balanced and blueprinted? yes. can you bolt on a centrif. supercharger or a turbo? yup - just like any other V8. can I juice up the EFI to support that? yup. bosch injectors are pretty standard. can i swap the distributor? you could - but why? Can I use a better ignition coil or MSD 6AL? yes.

WTF is it that you are wanting to do to these chevy's that you can't to a rover? a motor is a motor - people need a reality check and to step away from the SEMA sh!t.

sorry - rant off

-holdout purist

edit: and back to my cursing -

Last edited by SeaRover; 03-15-2004 at 03:35 PM.
SeaRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 9768
Quote:
Originally posted by SeaRover
edit: and back to my cursing -
You sure do have a purdy mouth.

-Jeff
Old 03-15-2004, 03:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 25966
One more round...

"Plenty" does not mean "same number as". I am not naive! I am well aware of the offerings for a SBC having had them in two 60's Corvettes.

You quickly reach a point of diminishing return and worthless conversion. How many water pump, oil sump, lifter, gasket options do you need for God's sake?! How much of that Summit crap does one need? Very little. Unless you count the chrome options - very SBC! With performance rechipping now easily had a Rover motor can be quite peppy (that word again!).

Yes, there are plenty of Rover/Buick possibilities. You can get a good performing carb Rover motor and an EFI one. You can get up to 250HP with good torque. Oh, and still keep that front end light. What more do you want?

RPI is merely an example of what can be done with these motors. I have no intention of wasting my money going with them. They do nothing special that cannot just as well be done here by any competent shop.

From the beginning I said I these motors have plenty of pep. I did not say they are the ultimate and I know very well they have less HP/torque then a SBC. For my taste, and probably that of the orignal poster, "plenty of pep" is just fine thank you.

I am quite sure there is a place for the SBC in D90 land. I also think the returns are not worth it, for most people. If I have to think about being easy with the gas for fear of breaking something no thanks! I already have that going with my Series 3. For the hard core offroad user this is immaterial. For the rest of us it's not worth the trouble.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 13412
Quote:
Originally posted by SeaRover
WTF is it that you are wanting to do to these chevy's that you can't to a rover? a motor is a motor - people need a reality check and to step away from the SEMA sh!t.
Here, I'll say it in caps so that it might come across:

- MORE OPTIONS...PERIOD!!!

- CHEAPER...PERIOD!!!

- BETTER AVAILABILITY OF PARTS...PERIOD!!!

- MORE POWER FOR THE MONEY...PERIOD!!!

You can talk custom crap all you want. I'm not saying the Rover/Buick is a worthless engine. It's not. But if somebody considers a SBC swap for a tired diesel and the dissenting opinion is the purist "Rover is sufficient" BS, then suck it.

I'll fall back on Slade here...he chose the SBC for his crew-cab for a number of reasons, including those I've already listed. The ability to roll into a Napa or Vatozone in just about any town and pick up a part when you're in a tight fix is a great incentive. To be as prepared as to think your rig will never break down is ignorant to say the least.